Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

zg3409 wrote: »
    As mentioned already.

2) They may be still be checking real world coverage/signal strength so they can recommend dish sizes etc. Remember they will have people ringing helplines asking how do they get this. There may be some guy in a van checking signal in ROI and NI at edges of the country.

I heard they had a van driving around South Wales checking coverage and were pleased with the results. Not sure what that means though, does it mean they got poor or good reception?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭John896

I had no problems with the Saorsat signal even when it was,chucking it down with rain and no picture loss either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I know that coverage was being checked by someone. But as to what the "goals" are, I don't know.

I'd guess they want as little in Mainland* main part of UK and as much in N.I. Ireland proper won't be a problem. I suspect that SW and NW tips of Ireland checked. IOM and Welsh coast + Most of Cornwall probably they don't much care about one way or the other.

[* Edit: Duh!, this is brain damage due to living in Norn Iron for 25 years]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

watty wrote: »
    I'd guess they want as little in Mainland

Yep would not be good if it reached the Netherlands or Belgium.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

Who is purported to be carrying out the tests - RTÉNL or Eutelsat or ???

• Advertisement

I think that's Classified :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Someone could possibly lose their pension or be met with a bullet if they revealed that information. They probably had to sign a non-disclosure agreement under the official secrets act. :D:D:D It will probably be done and dusted in two months time, Saorsat up and running that is.

I can never understand why anyone posts information on a public forum and then, when questioned, claims the information is privileged.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Apogee wrote: »
    Who is purported to be carrying out the tests - RTÉNL or Eutelsat or ???

RTE NL

Thanks Sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I'd guess they want as little in Mainland and as much in N.I. Ireland proper ...
    Tony wrote: »
    Yep would not be good if it reached the Netherlands or Belgium.

Sorry Tony, but can't see the problem myself. If any administrative area is divided by water, then mainland is just a relatve term to describe the largest or more populous land mass. Whether it is an island itself is completely irrelevant.

sesswhat wrote: »
    Sorry Tony, but can't see the problem myself. If any administrative area is divided by water, then mainland is just a relatve term to describe the largest or more populous land mass. Whether it is an island itself is completely irrelevant.

Watty is an old friend, you need to lighten up . If you take a look you will see he thanked me for the post.

Fair enough, but you're the one who keeps bringing it up.

Fair enough, but you're the one who keeps bringing it up.

Watty is well able to speak for himself.

Apogee wrote: »
    I can never understand why anyone posts information on a public forum and then, when questioned, claims the information is privileged.

Certain information might be freely shared and other information may have been specifically forbidden. Actual RTE NL people can be summarily dismissed. No bullets involved. It's in their contract.

I share any info I know that I have not been expressly and specifically told not to share. Which is very annoying because often about 2 days later someone else may have a slightly garbled version.

Unfortunately people don't say "would you like to know something you can't tell anyone?", what they do is tell you stuff and then AFTERWARDS "oh by the way you can't tell anyone that.." :(

:confused:

Tony wrote: »
    Watty is well able to speak for himself.

True, but then I'm not defending Watty, I'm defending the terminology. Any point of view expressed on a public forum is open to challenge.

I've (politely I think?) said why I consider 'Mainland UK' to be a valid term. You may think it is not and so we may have to agree to disagree.

Apologies to the mods. All this waiting around for something to happen on the Saorsat front has reduced me to arguing about geography :o.

Indeed, if you read the thread again that you linked to you will see I was having some fun with Watty, why you would want to sidetrack this thread is beyond me.

All this waiting around for something to happen on the Saorsat front has reduced me to arguing about geography :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hi all,

I have managed to get tooway internet working with Saorsat TV receive at the same time. However I noticed some glitching on the received TV most noticable on the testcards, and on the normal looped TV signals.

173782.jpg

173778.JPG

173785.JPG

173783.JPG

173784.JPG

For those watching Saorsat, do you notice glitching present on the signal every 2 or 3 seconds most noticable on the testcards? Or is it a problem with my setup?

Anyway for those thinking of doing this

a) Try to get tooway to install the two cable version of the indoor box. (Model RM4200N-010) This is easier to modify for saorsat use.

b) Setup is different to two cable version

So basically this is the working setup:

1) Tooway dish professionally installed with single cable between dish an indoor box. Indoor box is model RM4100N-010. You need to be living in Republic of Ireland, or very close by and during installation the installer needs to get you up on "purple" beam.

2) Splitter model: Philex 3 way BZT G687 659D. I don't think this model is sold anymore. Note: The VAST majority of splitters will not work. They will not allow the internet to work. Any splitter with a red line with an arrow on it will not work. The model that works seems to be obsolete. Ideally a 2 way splitter would be used. I will include more information in next post.

3) Upconverter modified by hand. Information posted below

4) Power blocking adapter fitted after upconverter (Not needed if you follow the full modification)

5) Perform a blind scan on satellite receiver

Was the output frequency 315MHz from the TRIA, or something else entirely?

A better photo of the splitter that WORKS. It may be hard to purchase this model.

173787.JPG

A Close up of the inside of the working splitter. Not the red inductor on the right. If this is not inside your splitter it will not work

173788.JPG

A version which DOES NOT work. Note the "arrows" on the red line.

173790.JPG

Inside of a version which DOES not work. Note the "arrows" are actually rectangular diodes fitted.

173789.JPG

• Advertisement

Here is a second splitter that does not work

173791.JPG

Here is the insides
    173792.JPG

Also note any splitter with TV and SAT labels is also not suitable.

For the technically minded

Here is the signal sent down the cable. It ranges from 300 to 800Mhz
    173793.JPG

Here is the signal after the upconverter. The upconverter has a local oscillator of 2.4Ghz meaning the 300 to 800 signal becomes 2400-300, 2400-800 or 1600 to 2100 which is in the range of an ordinary satellite receiver.

The upconverter is rated 250-750Mhz not 300 to 800Mhz. I tested it from 750-800Mhz and it seems to work perfectly fine without blocking any signal. However it may vary from unit to unit, so there is no guarantee every unit will work ok, unless tested.

173794.JPG

Note the frequencies are now in the range 1600 to 2100. RTE seems to be around 300Mhz which makes it become around the top of the band for the satellite receiver.

I would like to thank everyone who helped me with this challenge, both on this thread and offline in private messages including apogee, T92 ,Watty etc, etc, with a big thanks to the person who posted me a working splitter.

Please let me know if you are currently receiving Saorsat and if the testcards are "glitchy"

OK. Now details of the upconverter. This took MONTHS of work.

This is only needed for 4100 model (not 4200). However tooway seem to be only installing 4100 model in Ireland. The problem lies in the way the indoor unit talks to the dish (tria)

An upconverter is needed. This cannot be bought pre-modified. I figuired out how to modify one with the help of people from the USA, UK and of course Irish on boards.ie

The modification requires soldering, and quite fine soldering. I would suggest if you have never before soldered then get someone else to do it. I may modify a few for those on boards. I currently have one spare. If a few people are interested I can bulk purchase from the USA. Send me a private message if interested.

Also regarding modifying them yourself I would suggest buying a few at a time as postage from the USA is as much as the unit. Some are for sale for as low as $5

The unit needed is a DIRECTV upconverter Model SUP-2400 also called a "B band converter module/BBC module" described as "for Ka-Lo band upconversion". These were used in the USA system but they are mostly obsolete now. Ebay and google are your friend.

Once you have it, warm up the iron, get out the snips and crack it open.

173808.JPG

There are two mods.

One is to remove the power going up/down from the converter LNB side. This involves removing a black metal item with wire wrapped around it.

173811.JPG

The next mod involved either lifting pads of a chip or cutting the legs of the chip nearest the chip itself. Then the wires that were connected to the pads are pulled high by wiring them directly to the 5V regulator onboards.

173810.jpg

Cut/lift 3 of the pins of the 18pin chip and add 2 wire links.

Pins 14,17,18 need to be cut from the chip or lifted up from the board and the pads where they were attached need to be connected to +5v from the regulator. Pins 17/18 are joined on the pcb already so that's why only 2 wire links.

Lift the three pins marked with arrows away from the pads.. Not very easy but possible !!
    A fine tipped soldering iron will make it much easier to just heat and bend them up over. Alternatively using a very small snips cut the leads very close to the black chip body.

Then fit two wires from these pads in green to the output from the 5v regulator.
    For pin 14 you can alternatively solder the wire from the regulator to either side of the resistor marked with '0' just above the chip in the photo if it is easier... pin14 pad is very small.

Finally it looks something like this:
    173809.JPG

Connect the black lead right into the back of your HD satellite receiver. Connect the other side to the splitter with an F-F lead. Connect the dish end to the IN side. Connect the indoor tooway box to the RED OUT side. Power up the tooway box and wait 5 minutes. Confirm the internet still works. Then perform a "blind scan" on the satellite box and it should find RTE etc.

Remember this is still a test system, no live feeds are being sent, the test cards may stop at any moment, so beware!

I must stress how none of this would be possible without the help of others, thanks all, and share your ideas/comments.

There is a simpler solution.

1) If you are FORCED into situation where you have to have Internet by Satellite (which is not and never will be Broadband, complain to your TD, it's because of Government policy) then insist the correct modem is installed. The Satellite owner is selling space to RTE and the Twoway service. The Irish installers are just installers. They are not service providers. It's stupidity bordering on wilfulness they are supplying the wrong system here.

2) if you don't need Internet by satellite, then wait for the proper LNBFs. Don't even think of ordering Tooway, or wasting money on Tooway or Hughes Ka band gear.

This is stunning work by zg3409 but only of value to hobbyists.

I agree with Watty's comments. The only reason I have this is for 24/7 Emergency backup of a life critical comms link.

I am only advising this if

1) You happen to already have the service installed

AND

2) You want to play with an experimental system BEFORE it launches officially.

Even if the average person has this installed already I would suggest they wait until there is something to watch before fitting a splitter and upconverter.Also if you are within range of Saorview Terrestrial then this is live now and will probably, in most cases, be better solution than this. The whole TV guide via satellite MHEG 5 issue is not clear so no-one can recommend the best box for combined Saorsat and Freeview/Free to Air.

Regarding cost if you get tooway from digiweb it'll cost you a miinimum of €1149 for 2 year contract. You can buy new dishes from ebay now:
    http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/toowaydirect/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

But I would not recommend anyone to do this. Wait for proper LNBs, dishes will be cheaper, smaller and work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

zg3409 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have managed to get tooway internet working with Saorsat TV receive at the same time. However I noticed some glitching on the received TV most noticable on the testcards, and on the normal looped TV signals.

173782.jpg

173778.JPG

173785.JPG

173783.JPG

173784.JPG

For those watching Saorsat, do you notice glitching present on the signal every 2 or 3 seconds most noticable on the testcards? Or is it a problem with my setup?

Anyway for those thinking of doing this

a) Try to get tooway to install the two cable version of the indoor box. (Model RM4200N-010) This is easier to modify for saorsat use.

b) Setup is different to two cable version

So basically this is the working setup:

1) Tooway dish professionally installed with single cable between dish an indoor box. Indoor box is model RM4100N-010. You need to be living in Republic of Ireland, or very close by and during installation the installer needs to get you up on "purple" beam.

2) Splitter model: Philex 3 way BZT G687 659D. I don't think this model is sold anymore. Note: The VAST majority of splitters will not work. They will not allow the internet to work. Any splitter with a red line with an arrow on it will not work. The model that works seems to be obsolete. Ideally a 2 way splitter would be used. I will include more information in next post.

3) Upconverter modified by hand. Information posted below

4) Power blocking adapter fitted after upconverter (Not needed if you follow the full modification)

5) Perform a blind scan on satellite receiver
    yes can confirm some glitching on some of the test cards but not all this using a hughes lnb with 1.2m channel master dish in north wales coast also used three mpeg4 receivers spiderbox vu duo and az premium+ all with the same results

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

This may have been ask before , but I have a satellite box I got fro Aldi or Lidli,I have motorised dish with a Universal LNB can I get a soarsat . if so how do set up the receiver, I can get Astara 28.2 Hotbird 13, Astra 19 and Sirus 5.

Hi Mach1982,

You will need to live in the coverage of the satellite, this is Ireland and very nearby Ireland. Next you need a different LNB from the "universal" one. The reason is this satellite is broadcasting on 20Ghz while a univeral LNBs is 10-13Ghz. No-one in the world is making the required LNB. Aparently thousands have been ordered but they have not arrived in Ireland yet. Anyone receiving the signal so far has used some form of hacked together version.

Regarding a motorised dish:
    Even if you get a suitable LNB you would either need to remove your existing LNB and put on this one instead, or else put it beside the LNB. If the LNB is not in the normal (focal) position then it will not get as strong signal. This is probably fine but not ideal. If, for example, the new LNB is 20 degrees different you would need to turn your dish to 9 Degrees East plus or minus 20 degrees.

The same receiver will probably work. It MUST be high definintion

I saw a mention of one make of software that allows this "two LNBs on a motorised dish" so that the display selects the correct LNB and turns the motor and displays the correct direction.

The current hacked LNBs consist of items bought from ebay etc. Some don't work very well as they are not properly designed to fit on an ordinary dish and some have horizontal and vertical polarisation instead of the "left hand circular" polarisation signal sent from the satellite.

If you haven't anything set up to receive at this stage it's probably best to wait a "few months" and try to get some of the first LNBs on the market. If you start reading from post #1 you will see the discussion of options and successes.

One little test, you could perform, is to see if you can get anything on 9 degrees east at the moment with the current LNB. There are some foreign channels you can pickup with the normal LNB. This will confirm your dish can turn to the right direction and that there is no building in the way.

Here is a list of what you find with a "normal universal" LNB
    http://www.lyngsat.com/eb9a.html

The final disclaimer is that the system is still on test and has no usable video

Most of the Aldi / Lidl boxes are MPEG2 SD only. An HDMI cable isn't enough.

Unless you can get BBC HD with your present gear even adding the correct LNB won't work.

Noticed tonight testcards are gone. Carrier is still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Astro7

Still NO testcards.....just carrier !!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement