Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Any news on the iPhone 4 being sold by Tesco Mobile Ireland? Tesco Mobile UK sell it and have some good price plans for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

megejazz wrote: »
    That service seems to be not working...
    TescoMobile Customer support are terrible, they have no clue about problems...

First problem was impossible to keep my 087 number (switch to tesco ) for no reason.

Second: 3g network issues. Have Nokia N900 and in Galway city have full 3G coverage but Internet speeds are very bad (like loading main Google.ie page for ~30sec) or no access at all.

Nothing changed when received and applied WAP settings from customer support. Have full 3g coverage on the phone.

TecoMobile 3G with N900 using as personal phone, have also company phone - Nokia 6700 on eircom mobile network and can ensure that 3g internet works perfect (din`t test any apps) but speed is perfect. I suppose that tesco is virtual O2 network.

So really, lady's and gents are we not fulled by tesco????
    Paying for promised 3g network but can`t even receive decent GSM network (talking only about internet, because coverage for calls seems to to be fine)

And yes, prices are perfect!!! But is it worth that much hassle??? Or inexperienced customer support that keeps your going in the circles???
    And most disappointing thing of them all: lye's and promises by customer support.

Tested today: Tesco Mobile 3G (not load pages every time but whet it does time is ~25-36sec VS eircom mobile rapid loading every time ~4-7sec

On tesco mobile sometimes it just hangs up and nothing happens so have to start load page all over again and after half a minute!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

And best tesco customer support trick: to change settings from 3g to GSM 2g.

Lets only hope that network will improve.... If not, it will be "old people" network. That is cheap, can make and receive calls,texts only...
    Just look to current phone offers from tesco... offering 3g card on non 3g phones:):):) interesting...

Do you think that tesco targeting experienced user????? :confused::confused::confused:
    Think again...
    Peace

Hi there

Thanks for the feedback. We are listening and acting on your concerns.

On 3G we have had some issues over the last while and have resolved most of them. We made another change last night that should increase speeds significantly for customers. Have been testing myself today and I have seen big improvements.

We are putting alot of effort into getting our data side right for customers so that we have the best propositions and service in the market.

Our 30day data bundle should be live today or tomorrow and we have plans to address the proxy limitations on non http traffic early in the new year.

Can I ask if not too much trouble that you test your speeds again today and let me know if there is an improvement.

thanks for taking the time to feedback. It is valuable and fed back to our management team.

regards
    Paul

Any news on the iPhone 4 being sold by Tesco Mobile Ireland? Tesco Mobile UK sell it and have some good price plans for it too.

Hi Kotek,

I didnt want to ignore your post but unfortunately I cant comment on this one.

regards
    Paul

Gurra wrote: »
    Just to report that data over 3G started working on the iphone today. Settings: Access Point Name: http://tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com, Proxy server and Port: 10.1.11.19:8080 (configured with an iPhone Configuration Utility profile). Enable 3G and Data roaming are both on. Quality 4 bars out of 5 and 3G connection.
    Safari, App Store, Maps and Weather work fine. Messenger doesn't work, it logs in then it goes to a loop where it displays online contacts briefly (<1s) followed by long periods of reconnecting.
    The speed is quite slow - dslreports.com Speed/Latency test for mobile browsers reports 42Kbps with an average latency of 851ms - firmly in GPRS territory.

Hi Gurra,

Your Tesco Mobile speeds on your iPhone should be significantly improved.

regards
    Paul

30 day data bundle is now available to purchase

€6.99 for 30 days with 1GB data allowance. Text DATA to 174211 to purchase.

Website will be updated Monday to reflect the new bundle.

• Advertisement

Now this may make me seriously think about coming back to Tesco mobile.

Being that it's HTTP access only at present, will certain apps work, like a Betamax VoIP client app that I use, and the FishText app, Sky Mobile app etc.. ?

Another question, Meteor currently charge 10c for calls and text to UK mobiles. Any chance of Tesco Mobile beating this in the near future do you know?

Now this may make me seriously think about coming back to Tesco mobile.

Being that it's HTTP access only at present, will certain apps work, like a Betamax VoIP client app that I use, and the FishText app, Sky Mobile app etc.. ?

Another question, Meteor currently charge 10c for calls and text to UK mobiles. Any chance of Tesco Mobile beating this in the near future do you know?

I think you may have issues with some apps until we remove the HTTP limitation in early New Year.

On international, we are hugely competitve across nearly all rates. We are always reviewing and are currently looking at our UK rates. Will let you know soon if anything happens on this one.

See here for our full list of international rates

http://www.tescomobile.ie/international/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clarkeed

Hi there

Can you try this

1. Take the MMS settings out of the TMI Internet APN (whatever you have called it)

Please put

default, supl

in the APN Type this APN

Settings will look like this
    Name: TMI Internet APN
    APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    Port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: default, supl

2. Create a new APN called TMI MMS APN with settings

NAME: TMI MMS APN
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: mms

3. Reboot your phone.

Let me know how you get on - PM me your number and I will have someone call you tomorrow if this doesnt work

regards
    Paul

EDIT: Something else specific to the HTC Desire that I have seen on UK sites where people were having data access issues

"Open the Phone dialer and type in *#*#4636#*#*

Tap on Phone Information

Scroll Down and set your Preferred Network Type to GSM auto (PRL)"
    I have a Htc Tattoo and have tried all the above the only thing that works for me is google, I cant use any apps at all, will this only work when as you said all restrictions are lifted in the new year?

clarkeed wrote: »
    I have a Htc Tattoo and have tried all the above the only thing that works for me is google, I cant use any apps at all, will this only work when as you said all restrictions are lifted in the new year?

Yes, because its http only some apps wont work until we remove the restriction

Website now updated with new bundle information

http://www.tescomobile.ie

• Advertisement

Website now updated with new bundle information

http://www.tescomobile.ie

Bril. Now if you could just remove the HTTP only restriction...

BTW, what's the status on calling to / receiving calls from Three Ireland?

Bril. Now if you could just remove the HTTP only restriction...

BTW, what's the status on calling to / receiving calls from Three Ireland?

Hoping to get the http restriction sorted mid Jan...the tech guys are working on it over the next few weeks.

Calls and text to and from 3 are in place for quite a while now. MMS to and from 3 is to be complete in mid Jan. MMS to all other operators in place.

Tasty.. MMS internationally? Specifically, to and from UK networks?

Tasty.. MMS internationally? Specifically, to and from UK networks?

Not at the moment but in the plans for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

any other news on the 3g signal,
    i have the new 3g sim card and there is no change
    and is there any way to test the speed of the internet on my phone

EWJim wrote: »
    any other news on the 3g signal,
    i have the new 3g sim card and there is no change
    and is there any way to test the speed of the internet on my phone

Hi EWJim

3G should be fine now. All testing I have performed in the last week has shown 3G level speeds.

Make sure your phone is set to use 3G and 2G (sometimes the setting is WCDMA Preferred). It will be in your phone settings.

Use this app on your mobile browser to test speeds.

http://i.dslr.net/iphone_speedtest.html

Are you sure you are in a 3G coverage area? We follow the O2 radio network for coverage.

Let me know how you get on

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

I don't seem to be able to buy any data bundles. Sending a text message to any of the advertised numbers (174209, 174210, 174211) does not work, the phone tries to deliver the text but ultimately fails. Sending texts to other numbers works fine. As far as I know it has been like that ever since I had that Tesco SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

Hi EWJim

3G should be fine now. All testing I have performed in the last week has shown 3G level speeds.

Make sure your phone is set to use 3G and 2G (sometimes the setting is WCDMA Preferred). It will be in your phone settings.

Use this app on your mobile browser to test speeds.

http://i.dslr.net/iphone_speedtest.html

Are you sure you are in a 3G coverage area? We follow the O2 radio network for coverage.

Let me know how you get on

regards
    Paul
    Couldnt use that Site Above i have a Samsung Taco Lite
    tried this site
    www.mobilespeedtest.com

Here are the results i got

Speed 314.961 kbps
    your latency : 1.287 seconds
    transfered 100 KB in 2.54 Seconds

Is this Good Or bad People out there , what is your Score

blaz wrote: »
    I don't seem to be able to buy any data bundles. Sending a text message to any of the advertised numbers (174209, 174210, 174211) does not work, the phone tries to deliver the text but ultimately fails. Sending texts to other numbers works fine. As far as I know it has been like that ever since I had that Tesco SIM.

Hi Blaz,

Can you please send me your details by PM inclduding your phone model and I will look into it for you.

regards
    Paul

EWJim wrote: »
    Couldnt use that Site Above i have a Samsung Taco Lite
    tried this site
    www.mobilespeedtest.com

Here are the results i got

Speed 314.961 kbps
    your latency : 1.287 seconds
    transfered 100 KB in 2.54 Seconds

Is this Good Or bad People out there , what is your Score

That is 3G speed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

hi the 3G in our area has been terrible for data it rarely if ever works anymore for me it started this just before i went on holidays last month i came back and it was still doing the same it seemed fine in dublin airport was working no problem but when i get to my area it just doesnt want to work its not a huge issue as i dont use mobile internet alot on tesco but that means everytime i do i have to go into settings and switch from 3G to EDGE (2G) to get webpages to load on the phone im not sure if this is an issue with the o2 mast around here but it was doing to same in drogheda town on me also calls /texts are fine over the 3G network but data is terrible..my sim is quite old about 2years old now it has worked on the 3G network always since i got it if i need to can i get a new 3G sim card in store and put my existing number onto the new card is there a charge for this ?thanks..

jay93 wrote: »
    hi the 3G in our area has been terrible for data it rarely if ever works anymore for me it started this just before i went on holidays last month i came back and it was still doing the same it seemed fine in dublin airport was working no problem but when i get to my area it just doesnt want to work its not a huge issue as i dont use mobile internet alot on tesco but that means everytime i do i have to go into settings and switch from 3G to EDGE (2G) to get webpages to load on the phone im not sure if this is an issue with the o2 mast around here but it was doing to same in drogheda town on me also calls /texts are fine over the 3G network but data is terrible..my sim is quite old about 2years old now it has worked on the 3G network always since i got it if i need to can i get a new 3G sim card in store and put my existing number onto the new card is there a charge for this ?thanks..

No charge for the SIM swap - just call care when you have the SIM. You can get a free SIM when buying a 20eur voucher in Tesco.

You can get a free SIM when buying a 20eur voucher in Tesco.

I thought it was €10?

Free Tesco SIMs also available here.

I thought it was €10?

Free Tesco SIMs also available here.

Sorry yes you are correct...and yes order free online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 skelefty

Yes, that sounds like GPRS level speeds - could be local to the cell you are on. Please check your speeds in a couple of locations. Once you have data access and 3G enabled on your device there is no reason why you cannot get 3G speeds.

Hi,

First time using boards but I was hoping you might be able to help me?!

I have an iphone as well and tried to put in these settings and then bought a data bundle but safari is still not working - keeps telling me "could not activate cellular data network"

I've spoken with tesco and they sent me out these instructions
    2) Enter the following details into Cellular Data at the top of the section.

Username: empty
    Password: empty

3) Enter following details into MMS settings.

MMSC: http://10.1.11.68/servlets/mms
    Max Message Size: 307200
    MMS UA Prof URL : empty

4) Turn OFF your iPhone and turn it back ON

I put these in (my data roaming is switched on) but I'm still getting the same error message or alternately "Cannot open home page - Safari cannot open homepage because it is not connected to the internet"

I bought the iphone off ebay from the states and it was originally locked to the AT&T network, would this make any difference or would anyone know if I'm leaving something out?!?

Thanks

skelefty wrote: »
    Hi,

First time using boards but I was hoping you might be able to help me?!

I have an iphone as well and tried to put in these settings and then bought a data bundle but safari is still not working - keeps telling me "could not activate cellular data network"

I've spoken with tesco and they sent me out these instructions
    2) Enter the following details into Cellular Data at the top of the section.

Username: empty
    Password: empty

3) Enter following details into MMS settings.

MMSC: http://10.1.11.68/servlets/mms
    Max Message Size: 307200
    MMS UA Prof URL : empty

4) Turn OFF your iPhone and turn it back ON

I put these in (my data roaming is switched on) but I'm still getting the same error message or alternately "Cannot open home page - Safari cannot open homepage because it is not connected to the internet"

I bought the iphone off ebay from the states and it was originally locked to the AT&T network, would this make any difference or would anyone know if I'm leaving something out?!?

Thanks

Yes, you are missing the proxy setting for Internet. Not familiar with iPhone myself but Gurra posted here that you need to download software from Apple to set a proxy on the iPhone

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69411804&postcount=73

Edit: Proxy is 10.1.11.19 with port 8080

• Registered Users Posts: 7 skelefty

Thanks for the reply but I think the proxy is in the info I've already been supplied with by Tesco above (19.1.11.19)? I've tried this with and without the (port?) 8080 but neither seems to work...

Is there anything else that could be missing?? I heard some mention that the iphone needs to be jailbroken but I don't really know what this means

Also the sim I have is from last June, do I need to change sim to a new one for the 3G to work?? The 3g symbol is showing at the top of the screen

skelefty wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but I think the proxy is in the info I've already been supplied with by Tesco above (19.1.11.19)? I've tried this with and without the (port?) 8080 but neither seems to work...

Is there anything else that could be missing?? I heard some mention that the iphone needs to be jailbroken but I don't really know what this means

Also the sim I have is from last June, do I need to change sim to a new one for the 3G to work?? The 3g symbol is showing at the top of the screen

No the proxy details you noted above are just for MMS (and you need the port 8080 there aswell). You need the correct proxy and port for both MMS and Internet separately.

It is the same value for both: 10.1.11.19 with port 8080

For iPhone specific querys (re jailbroken etc) you should go to the iPhone subforum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gurra

No the proxy details you noted above are just for MMS (and you need the port 8080 there aswell). You need the correct proxy and port for both MMS and Internet separately.

It is the same value for both: 10.1.11.19 with port 8080

For iPhone specific querys (re jailbroken etc) you should go to the iPhone subforum.

To elaborate, for some bizzare reason, the iphone user interface only allows you to set up a MMS proxy, not a data proxy. To set up a data proxy, you need to use the Iphone Configuration Utility (for Windows). Create a new configuration profile and populate the fields under General (mandatory) and Advanced (data proxy settings). When you connect the Iphone via USB, the utility will pick it up and you can then send the profile you just created to the Iphone.
    I am hoping this proxy requirement will be removed with the introduction of support for non http traffic in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭paddins

I'm about to buy an Apple Iphone sim free. On the Tesco Network at the moment will some of the apps fail to work? Anyone experience any problems with their Iphone on Tesco Network?

Advertisement