Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your problem with spiders?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Fair amount of dedication to the job of catching it :D

I'm afraid I cannot claim any kudos in that regard. 8ft wooden shed, with 7ft roof. Demolished it from the inside. When one side and half the roof fell away, I was left holding up the remaining part of the roof with a broom. So, the circumstances actually dictated how nimble I could be - threw myself to one side and the roof flipped over and followed me. When I looked down, the felt had ripped away, and there was your man, blinking. I bent down close enough to see the strange designs on his back, and before he could decide which way to go, I hit him with the cold chisel I was holding in my other hand. Twice :eek:.

We still have a block built shed and I know there's one in there. But he (or more likely she) moves exceedingly fast when I turn on the light. May have to do a mission to get this one. Its web is attached at one end to a fridge, and come Christmas it'll be getting a lot of use. Don't want my Christmas Eve ruined by screaming and tears and "look, he bit me, he bit me" and that'd be me. OH doesn't know about the lodger yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Spleerbun wrote: »
    What's the best catching technique ye all have found? The classic glass over it and slip a bit of paper underneath is it??

yes indeed. Make sure to get a big enough glass, so as not to catch a leg. I've found a €50 note is a good size for under the glass. But for safety, use 2 for thickness.

This thread makes me feel sick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭billyhead

Don't mind spiders at all apart from the ones that are skinny with long legs and breed like rabbits. Their a nuisance as they leave cobwebs all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'm afraid I cannot claim any kudos in that regard. 8ft wooden shed, with 7ft roof. Demolished it from the inside. When one side and half the roof fell away, I was left holding up the remaining part of the roof with a broom. So, the circumstances actually dictated how nimble I could be - threw myself to one side and the roof flipped over and followed me. When I looked down, the felt had ripped away, and there was your man, blinking. I bent down close enough to see the strange designs on his back, and before he could decide which way to go, I hit him with the cold chisel I was holding in my other hand. Twice :eek:.
    Double tap - consummate professional spider slayer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I like them cause their furry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

during my childhood, spiders were ok. - till I saw Renfield and spiders- creep-ed me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't mind them when they pick out a nice corner of the room and stay there. It's the adventurous ones that get the phone book.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't mind them when they pick out a nice corner of the room and stay there. It's the adventurous ones that get the phone book.

c19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's a genetic fear that is built into most of us. Things that crawl and bite were very bad a long time ago.

As a previous poster said, it's their unpredictable quick movements that are the problem. If they walked slower they would be fine.

The huge black one lurking on the wall between my kitchen taps never got a chance to move... whipped my shoe off and then when it tried to attack me with 2 legs missing, finished it off

I choose who and what I share my home with.. creepy crawlies are a no.

• Advertisement

Can't stand them, but recognise that this is indeed irrational so I usually either tolerate them or chase them outside. Can't bring myself to murder them, like.

It is n't irrational. In many countries spiders bite and can kill. ALL spiders bite. Murder? REALLY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Graces7 wrote: »
    It is n't irrational. In many countries spiders bite and can kill. ALL spiders bite. Murder? REALLY!

The huge black one lurking on the wall between my kitchen taps never got a chance to move... whipped my shoe off and then when it tried to attack me with 2 legs missing, finished it off

Not in Ireland do they kill. Terrible that you commit murder on a defenceless creature, sounds like you do that to any living being, no empathy or conscience inside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Graces7 wrote: »
    Can't stand them, but recognise that this is indeed irrational so I usually either tolerate them or chase them outside. Can't bring myself to murder them, like.

Also, if you're putting them outside, they're going to die anyway.

And what's with all the, 'they kill flies'? The only way they'll catch flies is if you leave their webs all over your house, which is kind of disgusting. No webs = no flies caught unless you think they're shooting them in mid air (in which case you may be confusing spider with sniper).

klaaaz wrote: »
    Not in Ireland do they kill. Terrible that you commit murder on a defenceless creature, sounds like you do that to any living being, no empathy or conscience inside you.

:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Plopsu wrote: »
    Also, if you're putting them outside, they're going to die anyway.

Spiders were around before dinosaurs.

They didn't evolve to live in three bed semis

Spiders were around before dinasaurs.

They didn't evolve to live in three bed semis

Sheltered and unsheltered are not the same thing.

Sheltered and unsheltered are not the same thing.

Are you implying that a spider cannot find shelter or that one will die without shelter?

Are you implying that a spider cannot find shelter or that one will die without shelter?

Google is your friend. Indoor spiders do not do well outdoors and will likely die if placed there (not instantly but they won't last too long). If you don't like the answer, take it up with nature.

Google is your friend. Indoor spiders do not do well outdoors and will likely die if placed there (not instantly but they won't last too long). If you don't like the answer, take it up with nature.

"Indoor spider" is that a scientific term.
    Can i use google to become educated like you.

"Indoor spider" is that a scientific term.

• Advertisement

It could only be an improvement over the effort you're displaying here (where you seem to be claiming that a creature that thrives in a specific environment will be just fine when moved to a completely different environment).
    IF you have issue with my lack of "scientific terms", do feel free to post a few links (to articles by people who know more than both of us on the subject), that refute what I said (y'know, once you work out how to use Google).

It could only be an improvement over the effort you're displaying here (where you seem to be claiming that a creature that thrives in a specific environment will be just fine when moved to a completely different environment).
    IF you have issue with my lack of "scientific terms", do feel free to post a few links (to articles by people who know more than both of us on the subject), that refute what I said (y'know, once you work out how to use Google).

I can use google enough to spot that you changed 'some' to 'most' from your google search on death of spiders. I also know that search engine results aren't a reference or source.

Species of arachnids found in domestic homes can live perfectly well outdoors. It's your contention most will die - site your research for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't get the fear of spiders.

Completely harmless creatures that stay out of your way and eat annoying house flies.

Think people don't like how they walk.

Peoplel always say how spiders eat flies. What if I simply prefer to have a fly in my room than a disgusting spider?

I can use google enough to spot that you changed 'some' to 'most' from your google search on death of spiders. I also know that search engine results aren't a reference or source.

Species of arachnids found in domestic homes can live perfectly well outdoors. It's your contention most will die - site your research for this.

Wait, you're claiming to be able to see my Google search results? Bwahhaha :pac:
    Go on then, what was the last thing, I searched? Just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I once saw a wasp getting caught in a spiders web, jesus it was like a live David Attenborough show, the way the spider swooped down and wrapped him up - expertly avoiding the wasps spasming stinger .... wow ...

Wait, you're claiming to be able to see my Google search results? Bwahhaha :pac:
    Go on then, what was the last thing, I searched? Just now.

I googled what you quoted from your google search and the match i got had one word changed. Which reveals you as a spoofer.

Go on then - still waiting.....quote your source for 'most spiders die outside'

Lol see if you can deflect again

I googled what you quoted from your google search and the match i got had one word changed. Which reveals you as a spoofer.

Go on then - still waiting.....quote your source for 'most spiders die outside'

Lol see if you can deflect again

I haven't quoted anything from a Google search. Did one of the voices in your head tell you that. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

klaaaz wrote: »

Are you a vegan ?

I haven't quoted anything from a Google search. Did one of the voices in your head tell you that. LOL

It's in your post up there. You can paste in your search engine results if you want to deny it.

Your still dodging you can't back up your incorrect claim with scientific sources.

Google. Lol. You dumb fukc.

• Advertisement

It's in your post up there. You can paste in your search engine results if you want to deny it.

Your still dodging you can't back up your incorrect claim with scientific sources.

Google. Lol. You dumb fukc.

So quote my post that you're referring to.

Advertisement