Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there a stomach/gastric bug doing the rounds?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I could do with a good dose of this. This week of all weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Patww79 wrote: »
    I could do with a good dose of this. This week of all weeks.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Graces7 wrote: »
    so wear a mask ... please!

The norovirus/tummy bug is spread by direct contact, a mask wont stop you getting it. Frequent hand washing is the best way to prevent it.

fineso.mom wrote: »
    The norovirus/tummy bug is spread by direct contact, a mask wont stop you getting it. Frequent hand washing is the best way to prevent it.

By breath also. and a mask willl protect againts touching mouth with hand and spreading infection that way also ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I think I'll be inflicted with a dose of mild manflu around 3.30 this afternoon, just in time for the Manchester derby

*cough cough*

• Advertisement

By breath also. and a mask willl protect againts touching mouth with hand and spreading infection that way also ,

Its not spread by breath. It can become airborne if a person vomits violently (it would be present in tiny drops of vomit) but it is not spread by breath.

Its not spread by breath. It can become airborne if a person vomits violently (it would be present in tiny drops of vomit) but it is not spread by breath.

not according to the US medics....google is your teacher. Breath yes...the bug contaminates all you emit,,,, yeeeeeeeeeuurrrrrrrrk .... So why risk it? wear a mask to be sure and stop taking risks with others' health... and your own.

Only E1 at most pharmacies...

Over and OUT from me on this. OK? OK!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

A mask :D

We're not Japanese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

not according to the US medics....google is your teacher. Breath yes...the bug contaminates all you emit,,,, yeeeeeeeeeuurrrrrrrrk .... So why risk it? wear a mask to be sure and stop taking risks with others' health... and your own.

You can’t spread it from your breath.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/norovirus.aspx
    “How is it spread?
    Noroviruses are highly infectious and are spread from the vomit or stool (faeces) of an infected person through:

direct contact with vomit or stool of an infected person

person-to-person contact, for example shaking hands with someone who has been sick and has the virus on their hands

contaminated objects
    contaminated food or drink -oysters and other shellfish can sometimes become contaminated with norovirus from dirty water

airborne particles when people vomit.

People are usually infectious from the start of their symptoms until at least two days after the symptoms stop, but some people may remain infectious for up to two weeks after they have recovered. Good hygiene standards, including frequent hand washing, are very important during this period.”

I dont understand why you are shouting at me and implying that I take risks with other people's health. There is no need to be rude. I was just pointing out that the norovirus is not spread through the air...because it is not. I work with pre-school children and am familiar with how infections are spread. You can rely on US medics if you like but I live in Ireland and as I said work with children so need to take their health seriously.
    By all means wear a mask to protect yourself and others from colds and flu etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

I used a toilet that someone got sick in today now I didn’t touch doors or handles so I will prob get it now

I have such a fear and I work in a school so not good

Plus my wife is pregnant and scared I will bring it home to her

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

catrat12 wrote: »
    I used a toilet that someone got sick in today now I didn’t touch doors or handles so I will prob get it now

I have such a fear and I work in a school so not good

Plus my wife is pregnant and scared I will bring it home to her

Frequent hand washing and N95 mask (NOT a dust mask). Avoid large public gathering if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

My gastric bug was followed by shingles - caught early so on retrovirus meds’ now.

Not a good week.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Seems to be one doing the rounds where I live.

Had it myself. Was puking and ****ting until all that came out was blood for 2 days and couldn't hold down even water.

I lost 5lbs that week though so that was nice :D

Few colleagues, two siblings and a couple of friends have had similar (minus the blood) over the last 6 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Now if only other people would wash their dam hands. It’s not just for you,it’s for everyone. If you have it on your hands and are too hard to give em a wash you spread it to everything you touch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I read that Adenovirus is going around the U.K., no reason to think it can't jump the water.

My baby caught that last February. Nasty horrible dose. 2 trips to A&E with him. He was only 5 months at the time. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

How do GPS and Medics do with all these bugs doing the rounds?

Norovirus absolutely definitely can go airborne. That's why it spreads so readily on cruise ships and airplane travel. Hand washing, N95 mask, don't shake hands if possible, always wash hands before eating. Grocery shopping carts and basket handles should be wiped with an alcohol wipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

Norovirus absolutely definitely can go airborne. That's why it spreads so readily on cruise ships and airplane travel. Hand washing, N95 mask, don't shake hands if possible, always wash hands before eating. Grocery shopping carts and basket handles should be wiped with an alcohol wipe.
    Do a Michael Jackson full monty job

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thomyokk wrote: »
    How do GPS and Medics do with all these bugs doing the rounds?

Probiotics I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Patww79 wrote: »
    A mask :D

We're not Japanese.

We should take after the Japanese tbh.

xzanti wrote: »
    My baby caught that last February. Nasty horrible dose. 2 trips to A&E with him. He was only 5 months at the time. :(

I'm​ glad he recovered and is well now. At least he might have some immunity in the future.

Advertisement