Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lessons from 'The Beast': What will you be stocking up on this winter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Graces7 wrote: »
    wise wise perspn.. I bought a gas cooker as soon as I arrived but they wanted e350 to connect it to the canister as has to done by a professional thse day

When you say canister, do you mean a refillable tank in the garden, or the normal sized bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    When you say canister, do you mean a refillable tank in the garden, or the normal sized bottle?

ah the bottle. I have two at any one time.
    except the time this summer I forgot to get the empty replaced and had to put both out by the road... There were some smirks that day... :rolleyes:

PS re the inflated charge to fit the cooker; the man was scared of crossing so was making it impossible; a far more reasonable person was found

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A proper snow shovel is great. Get the grips that you attach to shoes, you can walk normally without any risk of slipping. If there is snow on the way do a week+ shopping and stay away from supermarkets after, don’t get caught up pretending its end of times.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

silverharp wrote: »
    If there is snow on the way do a week+ shopping and stay away from supermarkets after, don’t get caught up pretending its end of times.
    This is probably the best advice tbh.

Better off getting it wrong and having an extra weeks' food in the house, than getting sucked into the panic and sloshing through the snow to the shops. Bread can be frozen, fresh milk will keep for two weeks in the fridge. Worst case scenario, you have less shopping to do next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I remember being in Tesco during the mass panic for Emma. Hadn't a clue how serious it was until a man in the queue beside asked me had I stocked up o everything for the storm! I pretty much laughed at him and he insisted that I go get proper provisions. I bought bags of Bird seed, milk, tea lights, coal, sticks, fire lighters and matches. All of which I still have except for the milk and Bird seed. I bought a battery powered radio and batteries in Tesco after the storm. Realised I couldn't live without my music if we didn't have power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

If those shoe grippers come back in I'll definitely get a couple more pairs - they are very very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

B0jangles wrote:
    If those shoe grippers come back in I'll definitely get a couple more pairs - they are very very useful.

Yea they are very handy, bought a couple of cheap pairs but snapped one or two, might purchase a more expensive set next time

seamus wrote: »

Better off getting it wrong and having an extra weeks' food in the house, than getting sucked into the panic and sloshing through the snow to the shops. Bread can be frozen, fresh milk will keep for two weeks in the fridge. Worst case scenario, you have less shopping to do next week.

This is standard for me out here. With gales and my increasingly poor health I keep well stocked with everything as if for a siege. NB make than ten days with milk!Maybe low fat keeps a shorter time? I keep Long Life in and also the dried milk these days is far better than before . Works for me!

Feel at peace that there is no need to go out whatever the weather , and that is what it is about surely?

PS I even have cranberry sauce and stuffing in ;) By then there will be turkey in the freezer
    West mayo offshore island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

seamus wrote: »
    silverharp wrote: »
    If there is snow on the way do a week+ shopping and stay away from supermarkets after, don’t get caught up pretending its end of times.

Does milk still taste ok after freezing?
    Would be handy to be able to keep a few in the freezer to thaw as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Wildsurfer wrote:
    Does milk still taste ok after freezing? Would be handy to be able to keep a few in the freezer to thaw as needed.

Taste perfect,little waterier maybe,always use a drop from the drum b4 freezing,giving it place to expand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Apart from the obvious food items, I'll be making sure I have spare lightbulbs, batteries for the torch, and matches for the candles. A little winter bag for the boot of the car (hi-vis jacket, blanket, packet of biscuits, water) to go with the emergency kit I bought in Halfords last winter. Refill the fuel container that I keep in the boot.
    What about you? What do you regret not stocking up on during the snow?
    I have a mini snow shovel and blanket in the car every winter anyway. And the house is generally stocked up on stuff for the power going, as for us that means no water and no heat.

Electricity outages were more frequent when we built the house*, so we opted for a gas hob, and a fireplace in one room without a backboiler (so when the power goes I just have to take out the chimney ballon.).

*For all the criticism of the Government/ Councils/ State Agencies, mountain living is much easier now than it was 18 years ago when I moved to the mountains tbh! Roads cleared quicker, and treated any hint of frost, ESB Networks proactively managing trees etc.

Taste perfect,little waterier maybe,always use a drop from the drum b4 freezing,giving it place to expand

when I have tried I can never get it thawed whole. Always separates , maybe try a small amount first ? I use low fat so maybe that is why? I keep Long Life in and also these days, from LIDL.. the powdered milk is user friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Does milk still taste ok after freezing?
    Would be handy to be able to keep a few in the freezer to thaw as needed.

I freeze milk in ice-cube bags so just need to pop one cube out for the mug of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

cbreeze wrote: »
    I freeze milk in ice-cube bags so just need to pop one cube out for the mug of tea

Ive often frozen milk and its always been fine. The trick is to let it thaw fully ,then give it a really good shake. Also,I used to hate the powdered milk until someone told me to always make it up with water first according to the instructions. Then add it to your tea or coffee. Much better,still ptetty vile but much better ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

when I have tried I can never get it thawed whole. Always separates ,

I found the the same, it leaves ice crystals in the milk but I just sieved those out and it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Legit thinking of purchasing snow chains or a pair of winter tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

They won't help you in six foot snowdrifts

wexie wrote: »

They won't help you in six foot snowdrifts
    I was able to drive on some main R roads were okay, and all the N roads in snowy but drivable conditions the morning after the heavy snow stopped. IT was hairy but in the city my car managed to keep going as long as i followed the thin tracks of previous cars. 
    Snow chains would have been been a bit more reassuring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I was able to drive on some main R roads were okay, and all the N roads in snowy but drivable conditions the morning after the heavy snow stopped. IT was hairy but in the city my car managed to keep going as long as i followed the thin tracks of previous cars. 

They're not a bad thing to have (I think they come up in Aldi/Lidl regularly enough so keep an eye out).

I don't know what the legislation is around using them here though. Wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any. Nor would I be surprised that when it's bad enough to use them the Gardai have other things to worry about.

When the snow stopped here nothing was moving except tractors and JCB's and the likes. Took another few days before the driveway was cleared by a kind neighbour with a digger.

They're not a bad thing to have (I think they come up in Aldi/Lidl regularly enough so keep an eye out).

I don't know what the legislation is around using them here though. Wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any. Nor would I be surprised that when it's bad enough to use them the Gardai have other things to worry about.

When the snow stopped here nothing was moving except tractors and JCB's and the likes. Took another few days before the driveway was cleared by a kind neighbour with a digger.
    Snow socks were used by emergency services during last winters snows.

• Advertisement

Must find the snow socks that have been unused since 2010, and by this year both cars had been changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Make sure the battery in the digger isn't flat as a pancake this year🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

condoms

My experience has been that the roads, in a normal snowfall, are blocked by someone else getting stuck on a hill or a turn. The lads in 4x4's with winter tyres, or people with snow chaines are stuck the same as the rest of us once the road is blocked by another vehicle.

A lot of people upgraded to 4x4, AWD, winter tyres after 2010. Most I know had upgraded their car (back to 2 wheel drive) by the time last winter came around. Several winters in between had few days where even the softer rubber of winter tyres would come into play tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

When I was a child, one of my favourite bits of The Famous Five was the lists. I love reading other peoples' supplies lists but never make my own so I am going to glean ideas from this thread and make a start on a list.

One thing I was thinking of buying is snow shoes. A few pairs for unprepared family members and a pair for me so I can go to the shop on foot if the roads are impassable by car, and for a walk just for fun. If it's really icy for weeks at a time, like in 2014, any aid to staying upright will be enormously useful. We had to help a neighbour push his car off his sloping drive and all of us kept falling over behind the car. He went flying when he stepped out of the driver seat himself. Dangerous stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

When I was a child, one of my favourite bits of The Famous Five was the lists. I love reading other peoples' supplies lists but never make my own so I am going to glean ideas from this thread and make a start on a list.

One thing I was thinking of buying is snow shoes. A few pairs for unprepared family members and a pair for me so I can go to the shop on foot if the roads are impassable by car, and for a walk just for fun. If it's really icy for weeks at a time, like in 2014, any aid to staying upright will be enormously useful. We had to help a neighbour push his car off his sloping drive and all of us kept falling over behind the car. He went flying when he stepped out of the driver seat himself. Dangerous stuff.

Have you ever read any of the polar exploration memoirs by Ernest Shackleton? - he includes full lists of all the supplies they brought with them (in the ones I've read anyway - 'Heart of the Antarctic' and 'South') , plus the descriptions of the journeys themselves are very gripping and well-written.

I love reading supply lists, god knows why :p, and love reading about journeys in the arctic/antarctic.

ah the bottle. I have two at any one time.
    except the time this summer I forgot to get the empty replaced and had to put both out by the road... There were some smirks that day... :rolleyes:

PS re the inflated charge to fit the cooker; the man was scared of crossing so was making it impossible; a far more reasonable person was found

I have a cooker that runs on bottled gas. I connected mine myself but I believe it invalidates the guarantee on the cooker (I was aware of this and felt it was better than paying an exorbitant installation fee for a two minute job). I think if you have to make a claim under the guarantee, they might ask for proof it was fitted by a qualified registered gas installer,
    I should be able to fix any problems, and if not a friend can do it, but it's a tricky one if you think you might need to use the guarantee..

B0jangles wrote: »
    Have you ever read any of the polar exploration memoirs by Ernest Shackleton? - he includes full lists of all the supplies they brought with them (in the ones I've read anyway - 'Heart of the Antarctic' and 'South') , plus the descriptions of the journeys themselves are very gripping and well-written.

I love reading supply lists, god knows why :p, and love reading about journeys in the arctic/antarctic.

Yes, I have, they're great :D
    And some sailing stories by Robin Knox Johnston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

B0jangles wrote: »

I have read them all. My favourite Shackleton book is Endurance (Alfred Lansing). A great account of his epic Antarctic expedition of 1914-1916.

• Advertisement

I have a cooker that runs on bottled gas. I connected mine myself but I believe it invalidates the guarantee on the cooker (I was aware of this and felt it was better than paying an exorbitant installation fee for a two minute job). I think if you have to make a claim under the guarantee, they might ask for proof it was fitted by a qualified registered gas installer,
    I should be able to fix any problems, and if not a friend can do it, but it's a tricky one if you think you might need to use the guarantee..

It is far more than that. Nothing to do with a guarantee.

See

https://www.corkgascentre.ie/using-a-registered-gas-install

A legal requirement. Fairly new legislation but I found some shops would not sell me a cooker without that legal promise

A serious health and safety law

Advertisement