Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home insurance quote is a joke.

Options
  • 18-01-2018 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if I could get some advice because my home insurance has gone way up.

Basically the quote go like this.....

Feb 2016 = €510.62
    Back then the house was in my Dad’s name.

Feb 2017 = €648.44
    I understand the policy would go up as it’s the first yr the policy is in my name. But the chap told me it would come down a bit the following year.

Feb 2018 = €822.32
    It’s jumped €312 in two years. Same house, nothing has changed and there’s never been a claim on the policy.

Is that normal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Did you shop around for the cheapest quote? Do not stick with one company out of loyalty, that model is dead and you will only end up paying more for not shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

sKeith wrote: »
    Did you shop around for the cheapest quote? Do not stick with one company out of loyalty, that model is dead and you will only end up paying more for not shopping around.

Oh I definitely will shop around. I’m just wondering is this the norm like? Do they usually jump that high? Would this be a comreg job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Oh I definitely will shop around. I’m just wondering is this the norm like? Do they usually jump that high? Would this be a comreg job?

Not sure why comreg would be getting involved, you asked for a quote, they gave you a quote. you did not have to take their offer. there are many companies about. If you have a mortgage, like i did when switching, you must forward on proof of cover to your bank, with the correct minimum coverage. Other than that restriction, you are free to shop around.

edit: and add them (the bank) as a beneficiary of policy. don't know if thats correct jargon, but bank wanted it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    .... it’s the first yr the policy is in my name

Just checking: is the policy now in your name because you have purchased the house? 'cos you can only insure it if you own it ...

Did anything else happen in the neighbourhood, eg flooding? more crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Comreg are for telecommunication companies only. There is an insurance ombudsman but to be honest it's not for you.
    All you got was a quote you didn't like.
    If it is over the odds all you have to do is shop around and get a good value quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Just checking: is the policy now in your name because you have purchased the house? 'cos you can only insure it if you own it ...

Did anything else happen in the neighbourhood, eg flooding? more crime?

The house was signed over to me. It’s in my name. No flooding/crime.

Advertisement