Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wouldn't it be funny if finally after Djokovic makes it back to #1 the young lads stepped up ! :D
    Anyway, great win for Khachanov.

I think Djokovic was tired, that 3h semi got to him, let's see in the WTF and 2019 how Khachanov and the other young lads do.
    Whatever happened to that Chung fella ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I have lost faith in Zverev and Theim.  Maybe Zverev will come good being only 21 but Theim at 25 needs to start making moves next year. 
    It would be great next year to see some of the youngsters win.
    Think Chung was injured, I know he pulled out of the French Open with an ankle injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Floppybits wrote: »
    I have lost faith in Zverev and Theim. Maybe Zverev will come good being only 21 but Theim at 25 needs to start making moves next year.
    It would be great next year to see some of the youngsters win.
    Think Chung was injured, I know he pulled out of the French Open with an ankle injury.

I think Thiem is going to go one better and win the FO next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

As long as Nadal is in any way fit I think Novak is the only one who can possibly beat him at RG

It still wouldn't surprise me if Nadal won 3 more FOs tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I think Thiem is going to go one better and win the FO next year.

Like FB above, I have lost faith in Thiem being much more than a (very) strong claycourter. A couple of years ago I though he would kick on but he hasn't done so. There is probably a couple of French Opens in him once Nadal packs it in but I think he will be bypassed for the other slams.

There have been a couple of new masters winners this year which is encouraging. Best of 5 over 2 weeks is a different animal, but I think we could see some new faces making the semis at least in next years slams.

Its a pity Karen hasn't made the WTF, he would do a bit of damage there in his current form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

In what will be a surprise to no one, Nadal has withdrawn from London. Does that mean Khachanov gets his place

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

In what will be a surprise to no one, Nadal has withdrawn from London. Does that mean Khachanov gets his place

Isner is next in line.

Federer totally out of sorts last night against nishikori. Andersson beat Thiem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Djokovic apparently played rather well beating Isner 6-4, 6-3

josip wrote: »
    Djokovic apparently played rather well beating Isner 6-4, 6-3

Seen a bit of the match and Djokovic was hammering returns back at Isner off Isners serve. There was one return from an Isner body serve that Djokovic actually held the racket up in front of himself mainly for protection and he won the point of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Lucie Safarova will be retiring from both singles and doubles after the Australian Open, will be sad to see her go.

Lucie Safarova will be retiring from both singles and doubles after the Australian Open, will be sad to see her go.

I heard that over the weekend, she is retiring due to health concerns. She was very unwell during the week.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Meanwhile, Serena has been named GQ magazine's 'Woman of the year'... alrighty then.

Andersson just hammered Nishikori 6-0, 6-1. I don't what that says about Federer the other night when he lost to Nishikori

Meanwhile in one of the more bizarre results you'll see, Anderson concedes ONE game to Nishikori

the WTF really throws up some strange results.

Happy for Anderson though, he's basically guaranteed a semi place now and should top his group to avoid Djokovic

Wow, Agnieszka Radwanska has officially retired. Still just 29.

Another one, the WTA schedule must be killing them.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Another one, the WTA schedule must be killing them.

It's bad on both tours tbh. Eventually something will have to give and the players should be allowed refine their schedules as they wish.

Another imperious performance by Djokovic

He's really on another level playing like this

Probably missed her best chance to win a major at W'don 2013

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

It's bad on both tours tbh. Eventually something will have to give and the players should be allowed refine their schedules as they wish.
    In fairness, they already can. The "fines" that are imposed from missing tournaments come out of their WTA/ATP bonus, not their tournament prize money or sponsorships. The ones it affects (the top players) don't need that money. That's how the Williams sisters have been picking and choosing when and where they played for most of their careers, without any major financial disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fed still 5 to 2 on to beat Andersson......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I loved watching Aga play. She could make a shot from anywhere and make it look easy! Will definitely miss her.

jr86 wrote: »
    Probably missed her best chance to win a major at W'don 2013

Absolutely. To lose to Lisicki when she would've had the chance to play Bartoli in the final, who she's 7-0 against, must've absolutely killed her. Of course, there's no guarantee she'd have beaten Bartoli in the final, but it's the best chance she'd ever have had and it got away. She also should've made the final of the Australian Open back in 2014, but I think she'd have lost to Li Na anyway.

Favourite Radwanska matches/memories? For me by far it's her takedown of nemesis Azarenka in the 2014 Australian Open QF. That was probably the best match she's ever played, and do it with a bagel in the final set was unreal. To think she was a set away from the Wimbledon title and World #1 back in 2012 too.

The permutations on this group are silly!!

Silly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Anderson is through. Anything other than a straight sets loss will see Federer through, a win would see him top the group. If Anderson wins in straight sets it goes down to percentage of games won between the other three, no idea who's ahead on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Anderson is through. Anything other than a straight sets loss will see Federer through, a win would see him top the group. If Anderson wins in straight sets it goes down to percentage of games won between the other three, no idea who's ahead on that.
    From what they showed, Federer needs 6 games to finish second in the group, even if he loses in straight sets. It'll be interesting to see if Anderson can keep his level up, and which Federer shows up....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

walshb wrote: »
    Fed still 5 to 2 on to beat Andersson......:confused:
    And why not? :P

• Advertisement

Federer not only qualified but in fact topped the group. Round Robin formats in tennis can be very strange :)

Happy to see Anderson making the semi's in his debut. It's unlikely to happen, but I'd be happy to see him winning it, he seems like an all round decent fella.

Meanwhile, I've just seen an odd stat from Anderson; he's lost every match he's ever played against Berdych, twelve losses out of twelve :eek:

Advertisement