Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A gust of around 80mph at Belmullet station is not unusual at this time of year. It surprising to see that Belmullet did not record a gust in excess of 90mph during Ophelia and Darwin. I guess if this system had tracked just a little further east, gusts of that magnitude might have been experienced. It seems storms in the past used to go up towards Scotland frequently, less so these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A gust of around 80mph at Belmullet station is not unusual at this time of year. It surprising to see that Belmullet did not record a gust in excess of 90mph during Ophelia and Darwin. I guess if this system had tracked just a little further east, gusts of that magnitude might have been experienced. It seems storms in the past used to go up towards Scotland frequently, less so these days.

Yeah I mentioned that the other day, storms seem to be taking a more southerly track these past few years. Before ~2012 nearly every storm seemed to pass just to our north with Donegal, Mayo and Scotland being hit hardest, we seem to consistently avoid the strongest winds these days in Donegal. Maybe just coincidence but its definitely been noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

MJohnston wrote: »
    I guess we'll have to wait for the daily report tomorrow then?

No, they don't give it in that, only the daily average and gust. It will be available in the daily climate Excel file downloads, but probably not for a month or so.

Thinking more about the 102-gusts at the WT2 buoy 16 km off the Mayo coast, it must be some sort of platform and not a buoy, like the Kinsale platform. It's just a little too high compared to Belmullet and the ASCAT data. There is also another buoy (WT1) located 6 km off the coast and it reached 98 kts, but it too must be a platform as it's only around 10-15 km from Belmullet station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Thinking more about the 102-gusts at the WT2 buoy 16 km off the Mayo coast, it must be some sort of platform and not a buoy, like the Kinsale platform. It's just a little too high compared to Belmullet and the ASCAT data. There is also another buoy (WT1) located 6 km off the coast and it reached 98 kts, but it too must be a platform as it's only around 10-15 km from Belmullet station.

Might be on a rig in the Corrib gas field..?

4_corrib.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Might be on a rig in the Corrib gas field..?

No, they are buoys for the Atlantic Marine Energy Test Site (AMETS).

Doubt they are platforms, just regular buoys. Similar to this: http://www.oceanenergyireland.ie/Content/Images/Spokes/TestFacility/GalwayBay.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If there's one thing I found impressive about Callum, it was how deep it was (in terms of minimum pressure) considering we're only into October.

https://twitter.com/WorldClimateSvc/status/1050814049477414915

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The pressure readings and gusts of the Storm passing up off the W coast. Strong winds in the early morning with big squally showers but but no damage here in Tralee or in the vicinity apart from a few trees and branches down . Very much a coastal event in the end. The front did not produce the projected wind speeds inland even though some high gusts reported in places. I think this is a lesson in that the computers might just struggle a bit with the effects of topography on advancing frontal wind and might be inclined to overstate the wind speeds in this kind of set up.The winds along the W coast were more in keeping with the forecast. The Storm produced plenty of lightning up along the W coast. Good to see the coastal defences working well in Galway, they were needed.

Quite wet here near Tralee had 20mm approx for event.

tempresult_yca6.gif

tempresult_dxc3.gif

s0PqzKj.png

https://twitter.com/oclarkephotos/status/1050798170299670529

https://twitter.com/Buailtin/status/1050701888734289920

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1050774343133712387

https://twitter.com/PaulQuinnNews/status/1050647059898847232

https://twitter.com/wxcharts/status/1050461183566860288

https://twitter.com/patmcgrath/status/1050677777450467328

Must stick up my anemometer again tomorrow, systems failure last night :pac:

ybCOTCb.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

@Meteorite58 excellent summary of the event, hope you get your anemometer sorted!

• Advertisement

Looking at that UK Met Office twitter animation it does look like possible stingjet the way the cloud dissipates to the southeast of the low centre. That area coincides with the buoy locations, so it's feasible that Belmullet lay just outside the core boundary.

Also, the mean 72 knots I showed was I think a 1-minute mean. If you look at each datapoint, the mean shoots up with the gusts, so it stands to reason that we're not talking about the standard 10-minute mean, which was more like 60 knots around that time taking the average of all the readings. An illustration of why the Saffir Simpson scale doesn't really apply to extratropical windstorms. Still, 60 gust 102 does seem like a very high gust factor for a marine location.

463692.PNG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Storm Callum earlier today.

NASA

A7vYzSR.jpg?1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Midnight, Valentia gusting 64 knots! stay safe in the South
    And yet in the daily reports Valentia's max gust on the 11th was 52 kts and on the 12th was 48 kts. Just shows the hourly reports are unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Storm Callum earlier today.

NASA

A7vYzSR.jpg?1

Completely non-technical comment, but beautiful image with the swirling system and the outlines of the islands below.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Rhineshark wrote: »
    Completely non-technical comment, but beautiful image with the swirling system and the outlines of the islands below.

:rolleyes:

MJohnston wrote: »
    Anyone know what the max mean winds were?

Well now that a month has passed and the data is in (also time to actually make it), I thought I'd answer this question for you with an edited version of my chart showing the maximum wind gusts at selected Irish stations during several named storms. This one shows the highest 10-minute mean wind speeds at the same selected stations in that graph.

Darwin is king.

gG4SEUn.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well now that a month has passed and the data is in (also time to actually make it), I thought I'd answer this question for you with an edited version of my chart showing the maximum wind gusts at selected Irish stations during several named storms. This one shows the highest 10-minute mean wind speeds at the same selected stations in that graph.

Darwin is king.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Interesting to note. 3 speeds there at red warning level for Callum and 4 for Ali which both got orange in those areas. 5 for Opehlia which got one Nationwide.

And 13 red level mean speeds for Darwin. Just shows its size.

Advertisement