Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018/2019 Off-Season Thread

Options
  • 20-10-2018 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the thread for the 2018-2019 off-season discussion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

https://twitter.com/JoeFrisaro/status/1053695136616644608

Mesa brothers (well one of them anyway) rumoured to be pretty good so this would be a bit of a coup if true.

A couple of new managers announced today.

Brad Ausmus - Angels
    David Bell - Reds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

A couple of more manager hires yesterday.

Toronto - Charlie Montoyo (Rays bench coach)
    Twins - Rocco Baldelli (Rays as well and he's only 37)

Lot of love for Rays staff at the moment. One of the final 2 in the Mets GM staff search is with them at the moment too (the other being an agent who has deGrom, Cespedas and Tim bloody Tebow as his clients so don't know how that would work!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Doug Melvin won't be the next Met's GM.
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-gm-search-doug-melvin-reportedly-eliminated-chaim-bloom-and-brodie-van-wagenen-remain-finalists/

Down to Chaim Bloom and Brodie Van Wagenen. Either would be a really interesting hire, but.... the Wilponzis aren't leaving anytime soon so I doubt it matters much.

Edit: my nephew went to Yale around the same time as Chaim Bloom. I recall him telling me that one of his college mates 'worked for the Rays.' Hmm... I wonder if that means tickets should he get the job...

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-gm-search-doug-melvin-reportedly-eliminated-chaim-bloom-and-brodie-van-wagenen-remain-finalists/

Down to Chaim Bloom and Brodie Van Wagenen. Either would be a really interesting hire, but.... the Wilponzis aren't leaving anytime soon so I doubt it matters much.

Edit: my nephew went to Yale around the same time as Chaim Bloom. I recall him telling me that one of his college mates 'worked for the Rays.' Hmm... I wonder if that means tickets should he get the job...

Looks like it’s Van Wagenen. Will be officially announced after WS.

A few months back he was accusing MLB teams as colluding to keep salaries down. Will be interesting to hear his opinions now that he’s on the other side of the table now.

Edit - Press conference 2:30 ET Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

A few months back he was accusing MLB teams as colluding to keep salaries down. Will be interesting to hear his opinions now that he’s on the other side of the table now.

So how do other Mets fans feel about this appointment. For one thing it's very left of field and not what I was expecting. I thought Melvin was a nialled on cert.

His lack of GM experience is a worry and it will be interesting to see how his previous role influences h his decision making

Will he be just another yes man for the Wilpons. For me the jury is out for now. Let's see how things pan out during the Winter meetings and off season.

So how do other Mets fans feel about this appointment. For one thing it's very left of field and not what I was expecting. I thought Melvin was a nialled on cert.

His lack of GM experience is a worry and it will be interesting to see how his previous role influences h his decision making

Will he be just another yes man for the Wilpons. For me the jury is out for now. Let's see how things pan out during the Winter meetings and off season.

• Advertisement

ShyMets wrote: »

I'm the same, jury out. I'm happy that they didn't go the traditional route with Melvin who has said the game has passed him by but I think I would have preferred the other guy who at least has been in a front office before.

It has the potential to be a total disaster with his inexperience and also having to shed all his conflicts of interest (like that's going to happen). But he has insisted on increasing the analytics department which was the smallest in the majors so there's that.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who's in charge, the Wilsons pull the strings and if they want Jose Reyes on the roster, then Jose Reyes is on the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who's in charge, the Wilsons pull the strings and if they want Jose Reyes on the roster, then Jose Reyes is on the roster.

This. Interesting hire and all, but he's not in it for the $$ so maybe he'll change up some things -guy is an agent and they seem like a bunch of first, money hounds and second, glory.

Be interesting to see how he 'divests' himself of what he knows about Syndegaard, de Grom, and his other clients on the Mets, whether he extends/re-ups/etc.

I was kind of hoping for Chaim Bloom as well, especially given my chance at tickets should he get the job :) But, I expect he'll land elsewhere. Also was disappointed they didn't hire that woman Ng (first name escapes me.) She looked like the best overall candidate to me. Very glad they didn't go with Melvin.

Looks like Kershaw is staying with the Dodgers
    3years for $93m

Despite being unimpressed with him this season, I'm still over all happy that he's staying. I'd hate to see him pitch elsewhere
    I'd love to see him get an injury free season

$31 million per year is a lot for a pitcher who is in the twilight of his career and will no doubt spend a lot of time on the DL in those 3 seasons.

$31 million per year is a lot for a pitcher who is in the twilight of his career and will no doubt spend a lot of time on the DL in those 3 seasons.

If he hadn't signed a new deal, and stayed with the Dodgers, he would have been earning $32.5m a year for the next two seasons.
    It's kind of win win for both Kershaw and the Dodgers.

But you're right, he's been on the DL for long stretches of the past 3 seasons, so it looks likely that that will continue. He needs a bit of luck, or perhaps a change in mindset. I imagine the 2019 season could be the last where he is considered the Dodgers #1 Starter

If he hadn't signed a new deal, and stayed with the Dodgers, he would have been earning $32.5m a year for the next two seasons.
    It's kind of win win for both Kershaw and the Dodgers.

But you're right, he's been on the DL for long stretches of the past 3 seasons, so it looks likely that that will continue. He needs a bit of luck, or perhaps a change in mindset. I imagine the 2019 season could be the last where he is considered the Dodgers #1 Starter

So I agree the per year rate is better for the Dodgers but overall it could be worse, particularly if he fades hard after next season (just look what happened with Hernandez and Mariners). I guess it comes down to what incentives are in the contract as it doesn't seem like the full $93 million is guaranteed.

So I agree the per year rate is better for the Dodgers but overall it could be worse, particularly if he fades hard after next season (just look what happened with Hernandez and Mariners). I guess it comes down to what incentives are in the contract as it doesn't seem like the full $93 million is guaranteed.

Again, I agree with you (High 5 :P )
    I definitely think there is a little bit of nostalgia for the Dodgers. For a team that is so big on analytics, I think there is a bit of heart in this decision. Especially considering they wouldn't pay Greinke a few years back

The other side of it, is what Starting Pitchers are available this off season?

Again, I agree with you (High 5 :P )

The other side of it, is what Starting Pitchers are available this off season?

I hear that Eovaldi fella is pretty good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So if you were Harper... Where would you go?

• Advertisement

So if you were Harper... Where would you go?

No idea but the media are gas at the moment. They obviously have content to fill but all I’m seeing is “Team X have shown interest in Player Y” which is basically saying nothing. I’d imagine every team is kicking the tyres on every player at the moment.

No idea but the media are gas at the moment. They obviously have content to fill but all I’m seeing is “Team X have shown interest in Player Y” which is basically saying nothing. I’d imagine every team is kicking the tyres on every player at the moment.

The Yankees are definitely in for every FA anyway.

I think the list of teams for Harper is pretty short considering he turned down $300 million over 10 years from the Nationals.

Braves busy today.

They've already signed Bryan McCann and looks like they're getting Josh Donaldson too.

Braves busy today.

They've already signed Bryan McCann and looks like they're getting Josh Donaldson too.

Only a one year deal for Donaldson. Wonder if he regrets not signing a long term deal with Blue Jays now.

If this trade (or anything close to it) happens, I'm legit finding a different team to follow or just giving in on baseball

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1067498622147796992

I feel the same (dont want to give up Gimenez or Dunn).

Looks like Cano and Diaz are heading to the Mets. If it comes to pass will be interesting to see what the Mets give up

ShyMets wrote: »
    Looks like Cano and Diaz are heading to the Mets. If it comes to pass will be interesting to see what the Mets give up

Yeah sure seems that way. I hope Mariners don't end up with Bruce in return though.

MLB Trade Rumors has updates here: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/significant-momentum-mets-trade-rumors-mariners-acquire-robinson-cano-edwin-diaz.html

The baseball offseason can be weird.

Monday: Mets claim an AAA outfielder called Jordan Patterson off waivers from the Rockies
    Thursday: Reds claim Jordan Patterson off waivers from the Mets.

What was the point of claiming a player in November when nothing's happening then putting him on waivers 3 days later when nothing else has happened in between? What a waste of time for everyone.

• Advertisement

Yeah sure seems that way. I hope Mariners don't end up with Bruce in return though.

MLB Trade Rumors has updates here: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/significant-momentum-mets-trade-rumors-mariners-acquire-robinson-cano-edwin-diaz.html

All this Mets/Mariners trade talk is just journalists filling space. "A source said...." etc. I've been following the mets blogs etc and every day they're changing the story of who's going where. It's all just guesswork.

Bring on the winter meetings when something will actually happen.

And yeah, no one wants Bruce!

Advertisement