Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

The hosepipe ban should be extended to apply to commercial car washing.

Such a ban would have a considerable impact and be relatively easy to enforce. An automatic washer can process ~400 vehicles a day. Easier to monitor one such operation v ~200+ driveway washes consuming equivalent amount of water. Could also have the additional benefit of generating an 'all in together' attitude amongst the general public leading to greater social pressure not to wash cars at home.

Automatic car washers (with reclamation system installed) use ~60l> v manual car washs ~ 180l>>.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

bekker wrote: »
    The hosepipe ban should be extended to apply to commercial car washing.

Such a ban would have a considerable impact and be relatively easy to enforce. An automatic washer can process ~400 vehicles a day. Easier to monitor one such operation v ~200+ driveway washes consuming equivalent amount of water. Could also have the additional benefit of generating an 'all in together' attitude amongst the general public leading to greater social pressure not to wash cars at home.

Automatic car washers (with reclamation system installed) use ~60l> v manual car washs ~ 180l>>.
    Your posts are about as rare as an Irish heatwave :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Saw a rather odd statement in one of the newspaper articles about this where they said that while filling a paddling pool from buckets filled from a tap was ok, filling one with a hosepipe was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Alun wrote: »
    Saw a rather odd statement in one of the newspaper articles about this where they said that while filling a paddling pool from buckets filled from a tap was ok, filling one with a hosepipe was not.

Well that is correct, it is a hosepipe ban not a "using water for things you would usually use a hosepipe for" ban. :pac:

It's really just to stop unnecessary waste. For example, if you're watering your flowers with a hose, you'll probably waste a lot more water than you would filling up a watering can from a tap. It also has the effect of making people more vigilant about wasting water, it puts the fact that there's a water shortage in people's minds, so hopefully people will not fill paddling pools with buckets!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Most commercial carwashes have a huge water butt. Not sure if they collect rainwater, or just draw from the mains?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Eireann

National Warnings

no warning
    Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Ireland
    Drought or near-drought conditions will persist through the coming week.

Issued: Saturday 30 June 2018 10:00

Updated: Saturday 30 June 2018 10:00

Valid from Saturday 30 June 2018 10:00 to Friday 06 July 2018 23:59

K89Md21.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

So rare that met eireann don’t even have a proper drought section. This could be bad for the east and the south.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So rare that met eireann don’t even have a proper drought section. This could be bad for the east and the south.

yep and Met Eireann's temperature maps show the heat building more noticeably across the east from Wednesday into next weekend, particularly Meath, Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just saw a guy near my road powerhosing his cars. Everything around is burnt yellow from lack of rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Alun wrote: »

My neighbour was watering his lawn yesterday with a watering can. In and out for hours, his lawn was still gonna look pretty poor after all of that effort

And we are not even in Dublin but he is from Belfast and bought here for a holiday home so maybe he is confused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Just saw a guy near my road powerhosing his cars. Everything around is burnt yellow from lack of rain.

Well technically the hosepipe ban doesn't start until Monday, I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some of the neighbours managed to fill the paddling pools for the kids before the ban on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Is there a squad of special water cops to enforce this?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I was surprised to see them issue a drought warning because when I read their warning system page, there was no mention of drought. As a result, I took the liberty into alerting the people who look up to me for forecasts on my social media of drought concerns.

Anyway, we'll see how she goes. I'd like to share this blog post I've done on droughts in the UK and Ireland - so keep in mind, some of the wording might sound strange on here. It will be interesting to compare this drought by the end of it to historical ones like those mentioned in the blog post.
    Met Éireann has now issued drought warnings for Ireland. Hosepipe bans have come into force for Northern Ireland and the Greater Dublin Area (GDA) of the Republic of Ireland. As a result, the big news now is likely to be "drought" in both countries. If the lack of rainfall continues, it is highly likely that the UK Met Office will also begin issuing drought warnings. What is a drought exactly though?

As far as I see it, there are two kinds of droughts.
    1. Absolute drought - I like to personally call this a "short-term drought" rather than absolute drought because it leads to less confusion with the other kind of drought. A short-term or absolute drought comprises of at least 15 consecutive days with 0.1mm of rain or less. An absolute drought varies on return period for each place. For example, England & Wales are more likely to receive absolute droughts than Ireland and Scotland. Examples of recent absolute droughts include November/December 2016 and July 2013.
    2. Long-term drought - A long-term drought does not have a specific definition but in general, it can be described as a year or more with a lot of below average precipitation months. Long-term droughts can last very long depending on how weather patterns establish themselves. Examples of recent long-term droughts include 1995-97, 2004-06 and 2010-12. Unlike absolute droughts, long-term droughts can be difficult to break and they require several runs of very wet weather in order to not be a drought anymore as such happened in Autumn 1976 and April 2012 onwards.
    Here are some notable absolute droughts that Dublin Airport has recorded since it began record keeping in 1941:
    • 7 August - 6 September 1947 (31 days)
    • 4 July - 1 August 1955 (29 days)
    • 19 April - 13 May 1984 (25 days)
    • 8 April - 1 May 1982 (24 days)
    • 6 - 29 June 1992 (24 days)
    The August-September 1947 absolute drought was as a result of one of the most prolonged easterlies to ever be recorded in the British Isles - the longest being the January-March 1947 easterly (fascinatingly in the same year) which of course culminated in the phenomenally snowy and cold Winter of 1947.

Some of the UK absolute droughts have been far worse than this Irish 1947 drought though and examples include:
    • 4 March - 15 May 1893 (73 days) at Mile End, London
    • 14 August - 9 October 1959 (56 days) in parts of eastern England
    • 30 July - 17 September 1947 (50 days) in Kent
    June 2018 has officially recorded an absolute drought for parts of the UK, especially over southern England but others like Ireland have yet to reach the official criteria in spite of drought concerns. The issue for them being was that usually when rain fell, they came in small amounts. However, since June 21, an anticyclone has kept things bone dry and we're vulnerable to absolute drought as a result.

Meanwhile, here's my usual daily update on the sunshine totals.

Sunshine totals (hours) for Irish stations from the 21st-29th June 2018.

Cork Airport in first place now but only beating Valentia Observatory by 0.1 hours and Valentia in turn only beating Shannon Airport by 0.1 hours.

Cloudier day over Malin Head but very sunny again otherwise.

Station|21 Jun|22 Jun|23 Jun|24 Jun|25 Jun|26 Jun|27 Jun|28 Jun|29 Jun|Total
    Belmullet|12.7|13.6|14.2|15.8|14.0|11.2|15.4|15.9|15.3|128.1
    Casement Aerodrome|14.1|15.8|13.4|14.8|10.7|9.8|12.8|15.8|15.8|123.0
    Cork Airport|13.2|15.7|14.8|14.9|11.7|11.8|15.5|15.7|15.5|128.8
    Dublin Airport|12.9|15.6|14.4|15.6|12.5|11.3|13.8|15.9|15.8|127.8
    Gurteen|8.1|14.7|15.5|15.9|11.0|12.2|13.7|15.8|15.9|122.8
    Johnstown Castle|2.9|15.8|15.5|5.6|14.0|11.6|15.9|15.5|15.8|112.6
    Knock Airport|10.8|10.9|13.7|16.0|12.6|10.7|14.7|15.2|15.3|119.9
    Malin Head|12.7|10.9|12.6|15.2|14.8|8.4|16.4|16.5|5.9|113.4
    Shannon Airport|13.3|15.1|15.6|15.2|10.5|13.3|14.7|15.5|15.4|128.6
    Valentia Observatory|12.3|15.3|15.5|15.5|11.1|14.5|14.1|15.3|15.1|128.7

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Meanwhile parts of Southwest England and South Wales have a thunderstorm warning issued for the first time by the Met office. Between 30mm - 40mm of rain where they do occur could fall in a hour with lightning and hail.
    Even there hit and miss.

Doesn't look like we will get much if any here. Drought or drought like condition for near all look like what most will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

RobertKK wrote: »
    Meanwhile parts of Southwest England and South Wales have a thunderstorm warning issued for the first time by the Met office. Between 30mm - 40mm of rain where they do occur could fall in a hour with lightning and hail.
    Even there hit and miss.

Doesn't look like we will get much if any here. Drought or drought like condition for near all look like what most will get.

RobertKK, you must be burning up on the hills

RobertKK, you must be burning up on the hills

https://i.imgur.com/eoGuhYm.jpg

Yeah everywhere is burning up and worse each day. That pic is from a couple of days back. It is worse in some other areas of the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Dublin A will end the month with 4.8 mm, 7% of normal, and Oak Park 5.2 mm, 8% of normal. Cork is at 12% of normal with 10.4 mm and Dunsany is a soaking wet 16% from its 11.4 mm total. Johnstown Castle has managed 18% (12.7 mm). OTOH MtDillon is above normal at 82.2 mm (113%).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yeah everywhere is burning up and worse each day. That pic is from a couple of days back. It is worse in some other areas of the farm.

We are still green out here but then the island is a large part bog. Just been gutted to see though that the greatest part of the berries on the elderberry tree have withered and dropped off.

West Mayo, offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not great hurling ground.

Some cloud rolled in from the South here in Wexford but is literally burning off and disappearing.

• Advertisement

Careful here to have a large amount of water set aside in buckets and a large camping container.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Graces7 wrote: »
    Careful here to have a large amount of water set aside in buckets and a large camping container.

For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

There are a lot of dead leaves on the ground around here. I noticed some types of trees in particular aren't handling it very well and look like they would in late October.

Rougies wrote: »
    There are a lot of dead leaves on the ground around here. I noticed some types of trees in particular aren't handling it very well and look like they would in late October.

Yeah I noticed trees shedding leaves too, probably a coping mechanism to reduce water demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some totals from some of the reporting stations over the last 30, 15 and 7 days. Data is up to yesterday and is courtesy of Met Éireann.

sgwfN0R.png

Will post more station data later, but the overall theme at all of them: Very dry.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cloud here in Kerry all day with a nice cool breeze.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah I noticed trees shedding leaves too, probably a coping mechanism to reduce water demand.

Yea spotted that too , loads of leaves falling here near Tralee ,more like early Autumn.

42xH4NW.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I was on the Shannon today a day the difference in grass colour driving back east this evening was striking. Gone from green with slight yellow around the edges to basically yellow/brown from Kinnegad east.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

edit *wrong thread

• Advertisement

Worse is that I saw today that most of the tiny elderberries have withered and died on the tree by my door here. Was so looking forward to them, and hope the blackberries and rose hips do not go the same way.

Advertisement