Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFI Leap Card Guide & FAQ (Updated Jan 2020)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That should be possible. Check with BÉ and Luas if they will sell it to you as a single ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

gwalk wrote: »
    Is the app completely unresponsive for anyone else lately?

Won't read card at all for me, can't top up and cant see balance, kinda makes the app redundant
    Not working on the Samsung in this house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I will have a foreign student staying with me for the school year. He is 15. He wants to know how much a student Leap card is. He will be travelling by bus to and from school in Cork city.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

happyday wrote: »
    I will have a foreign student staying with me for the school year. He is 15. He wants to know how much a student Leap card is. He will be travelling by bus to and from school in Cork city.

He does not qualify for a Student Leap Card.

He will need a Child Leap Card 5-16 which he can either buy online or through a Leap Card agent.

Search for Leap Card Agents here:
    http://www.payzone.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=102&a=0

devnull wrote: »
    He does not qualify for a Student Leap Card.

He will need a Child Leap Card 5-16 which he can either buy online or through a Leap Card agent.

Search for Leap Card Agents here:
    http://www.payzone.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=102&a=0

My local shop sells them. Do you know how much a child Leap card is? Can you buy a monthly one and how much is that? I can't find out on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

My local shop sells them. Do you know how much a child Leap card is? Can you buy a monthly one and how much is that? I can't find out on the website.

The card is free. You then just need to lodge money to it to be used on the bus/dart/luas. You do usually have to lodge money to it when you buy it so it might cost you a fiver but you'll have a fiver credit on it.

The fares are subject to capping so it's very cheap.

Daily
    Bus only cap is 2.70, train/dart only cap is 3.20, luas only is 2.70 and multimode is 3.50

Weekly
    Bus 8.50, Irish rail 12.50, luas 8.50 and multimode is 14.00

Hope that helps!

G_R wrote: »
    The card is free. You then just need to lodge money to it to be used on the bus/dart/luas. You do usually have to lodge money to it when you buy it so it might cost you a fiver but you'll have a fiver credit on it.

The fares are subject to capping so it's very cheap.

Daily
    Bus only cap is 2.70, train/dart only cap is 3.20, luas only is 2.70 and multimode is 3.50

Weekly
    Bus 8.50, Irish rail 12.50, luas 8.50 and multimode is 14.00

Hope that helps!

That's very helpful! Thanks. He will only be using it for the bus to and from school in Cork. So the bus will cost him €8.50 a week maximum. Very good value. Thanks again.

That's very helpful! Thanks. He will only be using it for the bus to and from school in Cork. So the bus will cost him €8.50 a week maximum. Very good value. Thanks again.

Oh, sorry, those are the Dublin caps! As far as I know there is no capping in Cork, but fares are as follows:

Child 0-11 stages €0.91
    Child 12+ stages €1.12
    Child (School Hours) €0.77

Oh, sorry, those are the Dublin caps! As far as I know there is no capping in Cork, but fares are as follows:

Child 0-11 stages €0.91
    Child 12+ stages €1.12
    Child (School Hours) €0.77

Did a bit of googling for you.

7 day red zone pass might be your man

Zone Adult Student Child
    Red Zone 24 Hour €5.60 €4.40 €3.20
    Red Zone 7 day €23.00 €18.00 €12.00
    Red Zone Month* €84.00 €67.00 €41.00

Did a bit of googling for you.

7 day red zone pass might be your man

Zone Adult Student Child
    Red Zone 24 Hour €5.60 €4.40 €3.20
    Red Zone 7 day €23.00 €18.00 €12.00
    Red Zone Month* €84.00 €67.00 €41.00

I'm getting more confused! If he uses the bus to and from school 5 days a week if would cost €7.70 for the week so that looks like the best value for him. Am I right?

• Advertisement

I'm getting more confused! If he uses the bus to and from school 5 days a week if would cost €7.70 for the week so that looks like the best value for him. Am I right?

So if he's just going to school then yeah 77c x 10 journeys would be the best value. But if he is going to be using the bus outside of that more than a couple of times a week it might be worth getting the 12eur ticket then he will have unlimited travel for the week.

If you go for the 12eur option, you will have to buy a ticket for the card at either a leap card agent or via the Android app and then load it to the card.

If you're going for the PAYG 77c option, then you will need to top up with money, again either via the app or in a shop.

So if he's just going to school then yeah 77c x 10 journeys would be the best value. But if he is going to be using the bus outside of that more than a couple of times a week it might be worth getting the 12eur ticket then he will have unlimited travel for the week.

If you go for the 12eur option, you will have to buy a ticket for the card at either a leap card agent or via the Android app and then load it to the card.

If you're going for the PAYG 77c option, then you will need to top up with money, again either via the app or in a shop.

Thanks. That's just what I needed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Hi. Can you hit the daily cap on a child leap card and use the expresso Dublin bus services for free?

Hi. Can you hit the daily cap on a child leap card and use the expresso Dublin bus services for free?

Yes, the xpresso is included in the cap.

Airlink and tours are not, and nitelink is half covered

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, the xpresso is included in the cap.

Airlink and tours are not, and nitelink is half covered

I didn't know that they provided coffee on Dublin Bus services now.

nitelink is half covered
    I don't think there is a child Nitelink fare.
    You are confusing Expresso (bus) with Espresso (coffee). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Victor wrote: »
    I don't think there is a child Nitelink fare.You are confusing Expresso (bus) with Espresso (coffee). :)

I think you'd find it's spelt Xpresso. Expresso sounds like a hybrid between the bus and the coffee. :)

First WiFi, then coffee, wonder what's coming next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lucan123

Another reason to be using the Leap card - they are removing the refund receipt on busses for cash payments from 9th Sept

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Removal-of-the-refund-facility-on-board-bus-services/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

I have a balance on my card at the moment that is usable as I got a bus this morning, however when I go to collect an online Topup it says my card profile expired on the 22nd August and it won’t allow me to collect it.
    I just have one of the standard cards that doesn’t have an expiry date (that I know of). Anyone know what this means? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If your card works on anything, the error is more so about a problem with whatever is reading it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭PCros

I have an annual tax saver leap card for the Dart and I was just wondering is the purpose of the card just to open the turnstiles in stations?

Reason I ask is that in the evening at my local station there tends to be a queue getting off to tag off at the machine - am I able to walk past and not tag as there are no turnstiles in this station?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Can i use the same leap card for 2 people on Dublin Bus?

I have used mine for 2 people in Cork with no problem.

Yes pay at the driver. The second person will be issued with a ticket. Also worth noting this can only be done on DB and can't be done on the DART or Luas.

Airport Hopper have annouced are no longer accepting Leap however they are offering 20% off online fares to make up.

Can we remove Airport Hopper from the info section and also add Go-Ahead as the 175 starts on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

When is capping and Leap 90 going to be introduced in other cities, especially Cork? Surely it wouldn't be that hard to implement since DB already has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 _Ace_

Hi guys,

Im really trying to get my head around this.

Soni had a dublin bus and luas tax saver card for years with a former employer. Great and very handy.

Now im working in Ashbourne, living in castaheaney company dont do taxsaver.

I get on the 39a Dublin bus at the ongar road, costs me 2.10 to shopping centre. Get off and walk past the plaza onto the n3 west bound slip road and get the bus eireann 105 to ashbourbe which is 7.50 return.

So im trying to figure out how i can get use out of a leap card.

Looking at this site, http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=234 - it seems clear enough that a red zone 2 weekly ticket would cost me 39.50 but im only using the ashbourne return mon-fri which is 37.50 so its actually more to get the weekly leap than it would cost just buying the tickets daily.

Or will it be the case that if i buy that weekly red zone 2 ticket at 39.50 it will also cover my short dublin bus journey aswell as the bus eireann ashbourne journey?

If thats the case then im significantly saving as my total cost per week is 58.50 if using cash for both routes.

• Advertisement

_Ace_ wrote: »
    I get on the 39a Dublin bus at the ongar road, costs me 2.10 to shopping centre. Get off and walk past the plaza onto the n3 west bound slip road and get the bus eireann 105 to ashbourbe which is 7.50 return.
    This http://www.busfare.co.uk/index1.html suggests the fares should be :
    * €3.90 Adult single
    * €6.90 Adult day return
    * €32.50 Adult 10 journey

However, these may be last year's fares.
    Looking at this site, http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=234 - it seems clear enough that a red zone 2 weekly ticket
    What is this ticket?
    ticket would cost me 39.50 but im only using the ashbourne return mon-fri which is 37.50 so its actually more to get the weekly leap than it would cost just buying the tickets daily.
    The weekly tickets are somewhat priced for people heading to the city centre - on average a longer journey than you are making.
    Or will it be the case that if i buy that weekly red zone 2 ticket at 39.50 it will also cover my short dublin bus journey aswell as the bus eireann ashbourne journey?
    Unless you buy a specific two-operator ticket, tickets are only valid on one operator. It may be worthwhile enquiring how much a Bus Éireann (red zone) + Dublin Bus (all services) ticket would be, if available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement