Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could someone help me?

• 07-01-2012 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I really need help, would anyone be able to read over this and change the mistakes? Im really bad at Irish so there will be! Help would be much appreciated:D

No Bearla is e and cheithre pairt sraith ar an TG4. Machan Magan iarraidh do conai a saol (ithe, taisteal, cuideachta, dil i gcuideachta, siopa, srl) ar feadh Gaeilge. It follows laithreoir Manchan Magan ar fud na hEireann go cruthaigh Gaeilge ta labhairt amhain i beag mead de an daonra pobal. Afach, se chuma sin e theastaigh go cruthaigh ta an teanga marbh. I chead chlar, taisteal go Baile Atha Cliath. Cead, a learscai siopa in Baile Atha Cliath agus chuaigh se a Baile Atha Cliath oifig thurasoireachta. An foireann is feidir labhairt , seacht teangacha, ach ni Gaeilge. An chead cheann eile, chuaigh Manchan go Dun Dealgan agus Beal Feirste. Fagann se Dun Dealgan bhris se carr. Ni feidir se theacht a meicneoir oir eolai ag gaire ag e. I Beal Feirste, Manchan iarracht a Gaeilge speaking duine

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's an absolute mess. Did you use Google Translate for it or something? I can barely make sense of it, let alone begin to correct it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IrishBaile12

I didnt... :( i did try google translaor but that nearly was worse if that possible its meant to say or something like that!

No Béarla is a four part series which was shown on TG4. It follows presenter Manchán Magan as he travels throughout Ireland attempting to show that Irish is spoken only by a minority of the population. However it seemed throughout the show that he wanted to prove the language was dead. Manchan attempts to live his life through Irish.
    In episode one he travelled to Dublin. He starts in a map shop in Dublin and he goes to Dublin Tourism. The staff can speak 7 languages however many are unable to speak Irish. In episode 2 Manchán is in Dundalk and Belfast. His car breaks down while leaving Dundalk. He can’t find a mechanic as directory enquiries laugh at him. In Belfast, Manchán attempts to find an Irish speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Clearly a product of Google Translate!! Aagh so messed up its unbearable to read!

And did you not notice there's a bit of English even in that passage?!
    Aggh!!

Ill show u what it said when i didn google translate :(:(

Níl aon Béarla sraith cheithre chuid a taispeánadh ar TG4. Leanann sé láithreoir Manchán Magan ag taisteal ar fud na hÉireann ag iarraidh aige chun a thaispeáint go bhfuil an Ghaeilge á labhairt ach ag mionlach den daonra. Mar sin féin ba chosúil ar fud an thaispeáint gur theastaigh uaidh a chruthú go raibh an teanga marbh. Manchán iarrachtaí chun cónaí ar a shaol trí mheán na Gaeilge.
    I gclár a thaistil sé go Baile Átha Cliath amháin. Tosaíonn sé i siopa léarscáil i mBaile Átha Cliath agus téann sé go Baile Átha Cliath Turasóireachta. Is féidir leis an bhfoireann labhairt teangacha 7, áfach, tá go leor in ann Gaeilge a labhairt. I gclár a bhfuil 2 Manchán i nDún Dealgan agus i mBéal Feirste. Briseann ina ghluaisteán síos agus ag fágáil Dún Dealgan. Ní féidir sé teacht ar meicneoir mar fiosrúcháin eolaire gáire air. I mBéal Feirste, Manchán iarrachtaí chun teacht ar an cainteoir Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Lovelyboy

Do you want that English passage directly translated to Irish? If so, I'll have it for you in five.

• Advertisement

If you could that would be the best help ever! I did try its not as if I didnt im just not good... and I need to learn it for an exam in a few days, and i dont want to learn it wrong ! Any help would be appreciated

No Béarla is a four part series which was shown on TG4. It follows presenter Manchán Magan as he travels throughout Ireland attempting to show that Irish is spoken only by a minority of the population. However it seemed throughout the show that he wanted to prove the language was dead. Manchan attempts to live his life through Irish.
    In episode one he travelled to Dublin. He starts in a map shop in Dublin and he goes to Dublin Tourism. The staff can speak 7 languages however many are unable to speak Irish. In episode 2 Manchán is in Dundalk and Belfast. His car breaks down while leaving Dundalk. He can’t find a mechanic as directory enquiries laugh at him. In Belfast, Manchán attempts to find an Irish speaker.
    Is sraith de cheithre chlár í 'No Béarla' a taispeánadh ar TG4. Leantar an láithreoir, Manchán Magan agus é ag taisteal ar fud na hÉireann is é ag iarraidh a thaispeáint nach labhraítear Gaeilge ach i measc mhionlach na ndaoine. Feictear tríd an gclár áfach, gur theastaigh uaidh a chur in iúl go raibh an teanga marbh. Déanann sé iarracht maireachtáil trí mheán na Gaeilge.
    Thaisteal sé go Baile Átha Cliath i gclár a haon. Tosaíonn sé amach i siopa léarscáíle agus téann sé go Turasóireacht Bhaile Átha Cliath. Is féidir leis an bhfoireann ansin seacht dteanga a labhairt ach níl mórán acu in ann Gaeilge a labhairt. I gclár a dó tá Manchán i nDún Dealgan agus Béal Feirste. Briseann a charr síos agus é ag fágáil Dhún Dealgain. Ní féidir leis meicneoir a fháil mar go dtosaíonn an tseirbhís eolaí teileafóin ag gáire faoi. Déanann Manchán iarracht Gaeilgeoir a aimsiú i mBéal Feirste.

Thank you so so so so so much, you really dont know how much you have helped me!

No problem at all, hope it helps. Good luck with the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Lovelyboy wrote: »
    No problem at all, hope it helps. Good luck with the exam!
    I know you're trying to help and all, but it's pointless.
    There's nothing worse than the answer learnt off by heart. Rote learning at its worst, and it does nothing to promote the subject (whatever the subject is - I'm not just saying this about Irish.) or to promote the student's understanding of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianeanna

I don't know. Surely a bit of Irish off by heart is better than no Irish at all, or the awful Google gibberish he came up with at the start.

But there's something terribly fishy about the whole thing. It's clearly a homework assignment. Has he really been asked to translate a whole passage and then learn his translation by heart? Hmm . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It's been a few times now that people have asked to have relatively long passages translated. Some have been for companies, some clearly for school. Either way, I don't think it should be allowed. Unless there's a specific grammar/vocab question, it just encourages transience in the forum.

First I want to say, Im simply a student who has an exam and needs to learn it as part of my exam, and in my first post i tried it, and I also showed you what came up in google translate so you know im not lying... There is no point in me learning something wrong for an exam so I asked for help, and its just part of an essay it was this bit I was stuck on! So thanks for the help, I appreciate it a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Not a criticism of you OP, but in a wider context I'm with deirdremf on this. Having students rote-learn a piece of text and parrot it back to an examiner is stone-age "teaching" (and it's bizarre to me that a student's own inevitably flawed translation would be the text used). I honestly thought those days were gone and it's deeply depressing to see that it's still around. This was never done in other modern languages when I was in secondary school over 20 years ago, and for good reason. No wonder there are still some folk leaving school with the blinkered "I hate Irish" attitude if this is still prevalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mr chips wrote: »
    Not a criticism of you OP, but in a wider context I'm with deirdremf on this. Having students rote-learn a piece of text and parrot it back to an examiner is stone-age "teaching" ...

I agree with this, but we should consider why it happens. Teachers generally want their students to get good marks in exams, and if this is the way to get marks, then teachers will use it.

I take the view that the problem lies in the type of examination that is employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianeanna

What *exactly* is the exercise? Or what *exactly* is the exam question?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

I agree with this, but we should consider why it happens. Teachers generally want their students to get good marks in exams, and if this is the way to get marks, then teachers will use it.

I take the view that the problem lies in the type of examination that is employed.

Agreed, I'm more irritated about the apparent lack of curricular evolution than having a go at the teaching profession.

Advertisement