Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

translator(s) needed for paid work!

• 18-12-2011 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hello, someone recommended i tried here, I have three video files that I need translated into English (from Gaelic).

Two are a straightforward interview (about 90mins), one is more of a press conference, but the audio is decent enough as it's been filmed for a documentary.

I can recommend software to do the job, or you can use your own, and will pay an agreed rate based on the final word count of the translated document.

The translation needs to be an English equivalent of what is said in Gaelic, rather than a more artistic interpretation, and each sentence needs to be timecoded (software can help with this bit)

Anyway if you're interested let me know by emailing me on 'info' @ myforumusername '.co.uk' or you can ask a question on this. I can send you links to the files for you to listen before committing, but I'd rather do that on email. I imagine there's a good €700 to be made on this job, so it could be useful Xmas money! There is also the potential for repeat work as and when the need arises.

In summary, whilst you don't need experience, you need to be a quickish typist, with hard-to-fault abilities in both Gaelic and English (either can be mother tongue).

Please get in touch asap!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Hi OP - for clarity, are you looking for a written translation of a couple of interviews that take place over ninety minutes, or was that a mistype? I ask because 90 minutes of speech would become a helluva lot of text.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

OP, why aren't you using Proz or TranslatorsCafe.com to reach professional translators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianeanna

There's a list of professional accredited Irish-language translators available here:

http://www.irish.ie/TermsTranslations/default.asp?lang=en&catID=393

This sounds like a big, complicated job, and it's clearly being done for profit and for subtitled broadcast. I'm skeptical that it can be done properly for EUR 700, but who knows?

I think it'd take several weeks to translate the recordings accurately.

Advertisement