Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong winds / Heavy Rain Tues 27 and Storm Diana Weds 28 Nov. 2018

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Darwin wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see the wind speed stats for today at the various reporting stations - think they get published tomorrow here:
    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

Diana added to my table of comparison with previous storms in terms of maximum wind gusts for selected Irish stations. Diana data is from synop reports.

Iy48IG2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The mass of cloud to the southwest of Ireland is what we are focusing on.

h-image.ashx?region=eu&time=201811281700&ir=True

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Latest HiRes Arome says we just barely miss the more intense rain but a small change can mean much difference. Still a good bit to fall for the early morning rush hour and no doubt will cause delays in the east.

tempresult_lqn7.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

UK Met Office shows Leinster (particularly Meath, Dublin and Louth) with very heavy rain overnight and into tomorrow morning.

After that bands of rain crossing the country each day for the next 5 to 6 days.

The rainfall accumulations on models for the morning show the most rain roughly between 10mm to 20mm perhaps more on high terrain in Wicklow and Dublin. So nothing really to worry about. Just horrible to travel in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

@Syran, thanks for putting up that table. As a minor weather nerd :p, I have kept data on all named storms the last couple of years, this table is great to have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rough enough day around Tralee but no damage that I am aware of, very blustery with driving rain . Gusting over 70 km/h ( 8m ) at my increasingly sheltered site although no leaves on the trees at this time of the year .

9.6mm

Bar low reading of 975.7 hPa

tempresult_gdp4.gif

tempresult_gie7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep not much agreement on that feature tonight and tomorrow morning.

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1067858272630255616?s=21

Tonight is a night where buoy observations are critical. When dealing with a rapidly developing wave in an area so sparse with Obs, the ships this system will encounter in the next few hours will give some real data as to where we are.

The latest IR Satellite representation is looking very developmental.

Youd think that the MetOffice (UMKO) will have to issue some severe warnings tonight as this doesn't look just like a yellow warning. Looks severe for parts of Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would expect 10-20 mm rainfalls from this secondary wave, 30-50 mm will fall over parts of Wales into northwest England, so far the only strong winds associated are from one ship report (39 kt) in the developing warm sector, and you can see the low on satellite imagery close to 48N 9W, heading NNE. Winds may actually fall off to light in the Dublin region as this goes by, shallow surface northerly under a higher level southwesterly making for nasty wind shear on final approach (although at a time when airports may be dormant).

(edit 2350h for better wave position 48N 9W).

Again the very latest Arome shows a glancing blow.

tempresult_uif8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blissfully, blessedly quiet out here this morning.... sweet....west mayo offshore island. Whatever happens, we have had this calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Today's storm in the UK is stronger than Diana was here yesterday. Highest gusts this morning were 64 knots (119 kph) at Scilly St. Mary's (31 m amsl) and 63 knots (117 kph) at Plymouth (50 m amsl). There was a 67-knot (124 kph) gust at Aberdaron along the Welsh Irish Sea coast, but that's on a 95-metre cliff overlooking the sea.

In France, 64 knots at Point du Raz (72 m amsl) was the highest.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Today's storm in the UK is stronger than Diana was here yesterday.

Should have been Deirdre....get the 'D's and confusion out the way....move on to Erik! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some confusion now about strongest gust yesterday, in the "yesterday's weather" section of the website Sherkin Island shows 61 knots rather than 66 as earlier reported, leaving Casement and Roches' Point tied at 62 knots but in the hourly graphs those two peak at 115 km/hr while Sherkin peaks at 122 (supporting the 66 knot value). Not sure if this is quality control or oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Some confusion now about strongest gust yesterday, in the "yesterday's weather" section of the website Sherkin Island shows 61 knots rather than 66 as earlier reported, leaving Casement and Roches' Point tied at 62 knots but in the hourly graphs those two peak at 115 km/hr while Sherkin peaks at 122 (supporting the 66 knot value). Not sure if this is quality control or oversight.

The 1 pm synop certainly gave 66 knots (34 m/s) as the hourly max gust. Strange.

AAXX 28131 03951 47456 /2420 10126 20099 39854 49879 53061 7225/ 87///
    333 85/15 87/50 90710 91134==

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Should have been Deirdre....get the 'D's and confusion out the way....move on to Erik! :)

No, it was named by https://www.ipma.pt/en/, the Portuguese and the agreement is that the first to be affected or impacted name a storm and others carry it on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

piuswal wrote: »
    No, it was named by https://www.ipma.pt/en/, the Portuguese and the agreement is that the first to be affected or impacted name a storm and others carry it on.

I was talking about the 'storm' that affected south west England and Wales yesterday....that should have been Deirdre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Now that the data is in, here's the table of comparison including Diana in terms of maximum 10-minute mean wind speeds. Will be doing Deirdre next month.

k68Xmny.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Darwin was way out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Darwin was the only storm I recall feeling afraid of, and I was in my own house in Limerick for it's entire duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

I love this forum, and I love a good storm. But the mention of Darwin makes gives me goosebumps. I hope never to see the like of it again in my lifetime. South Tipp area!!

Advertisement