Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1901 and 1911 Census Number of Rooms in House

• 09-12-2018 4:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44

In the column "No. of rooms occupied by each family" does this mean the total number of rooms in the house, or just the number of bedrooms.

For example in 1901 in a house with 7 people in the family, a widowed father aged 60 as head of family, two daughters aged 17 and 16, three sons aged 15, 12 and 10, and an aunt aged 85, the column for "Rooms" shows "2" which means 2, 3 or 4 rooms, and the column for "No. of rooms occupied by each family" shows 3.

For the same house in 1911, with 3 people in the family, the son who was 15 in 1901, was now the head of family, aged 26, living with his sister aged 28, and also a male farm servant, aged 68, the form shows the same figures; 2, 3 or 4 rooms in the house, and the No of rooms occupied by each family is 3.

Was the kitchen counted as one of the rooms?
    Does it mean that the total number of rooms in the house was 3, or could it be that there were three bedrooms plus a kitchen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

The number of rooms would have included the kitchen so a three room house likely had two bedrooms and a kitchen.

My mum was in a three room house when she was born before they got an extension when she was about 7. They were a family with three children and that was in the 1960s so not a very long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The figure in column 8 is a code, calculated with walls roof etc, to help classify the house:

1 = 1 room.
    2= 2,3 or 4 rooms
    3= 5 or 6 rooms
    4= 7,8 or 9 rooms and so on.

You can ignore column 8 from a practical point of view.

column 14 is the actual number of rooms occupied by the household.

As for what constitutes a room, we do not have the instructions, as form B is only filled by the enumerator, so not included in the instructions on the back of form A.
    However a kitchen is usually a major room in most houses.

In rural Ireland, a three room house was usually a living room in the centre, with a bedroom at each end. The living room was kitchen, dining room and sitting room all in one, with a fireplace which was used for cooking, water heating and heating the house. The fire was at one side of the room, so the bedroom at this end was warmer than the further bedroom, the stone wall acting as a primitive storage heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

tabbey wrote: »
    As for what constitutes a room, we do not have the instructions, as form B is only filled by the enumerator, so not included in the instructions on the back of form A.
    However a kitchen is usually a major room in most houses.

From a few houses I have checked out relating to my ancestors, it seems that the "no. of rooms" only included bedrooms, kitchen, parlour/living room. It looks like they did not count hallways, sculleries, pantries etc. In my grandparents house one room was a stable/byre, but this was not counted in the no. of rooms for the census.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The census definitions today do not include bathrooms or hallways either, but I have always understood the older censuses as "3 rooms" to mean that the family had 3 rooms, particularly in shared houses. Remember very few houses would have bathrooms at that stage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

In my grandparents house one room was a stable/byre, but this was not counted in the no. of rooms for the census.

Stables and byres (cow houses) were recorded on form B2 - Outhouses and Farmsteadings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

tabbey wrote: »
    Stables and byres (cow houses) were recorded on form B2 - Outhouses and Farmsteadings.

Yes, but for the house I am talking about, no Outhouses were recorded. The stable was not an outbuilding, but a room which was part of the house itself - (as per Myles na gCopaleens story of the pigs)

Advertisement