Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for Irish Words for these?

• 06-06-2018 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm writing a story and need some help with certain words and how they sound. I'll probably be asking a lot in the future but these are the most important I'm looking for at the moment:

Ancient/ Ancient Isle/ Ancient Island or Island of the Ancients -

Oracle/ Seer/ Druid/ Or some sort of person who sees the future or past, not sure of the name -

Sacred Land/ Land of the Sacred -

Main Land -

Foreign Lands/ Foreigners/ Alien/ Invaders -

Otherworld/ Outerworld/ Star Worlds/ Or something to do with magical lands -

Universe/ Sea of Stars/ The Void/ Abyss, outer space or something to do with that -

If anyone can help with any of this or even all of it, that would be great, really struggling to find the words for these things anywhere. Thank you! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

"Oileán Ársa" Ancient Island

"Aitheascal" Oracle or "Draoi" for Druid. The first would be closer to "Oracle" and what you're looking for I'd say (an oracle tends to see the future anyway).

"Tír Choisricthe" Sacred Land (if we're talking a land mass)

"Talamh Coisricthe" Sacred Land (if we're talking a specific bit of land, like a field or something).

If you want to translate "land of the sacred" you'd have to specify what you're talking about (the sacred what?) But if you're happy with what I've given above they work fine too.

"Mórthír/An Mhórthír" Mainland/The Mainland

Here's a start. Await further input and/or confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BrigidCooley

Gumbi wrote: »
    "Oileán Ársa" Ancient Island

"Aitheascal" Oracle or "Draoi" for Druid. The first would be closer to "Oracle" and what you're looking for I'd say (an oracle tends to see the future anyway).

"Tír Choisricthe" Sacred Land (if we're talking a land mass)

"Talamh Coisricthe" Sacred Land (if we're talking a specific bit of land, like a field or something).

If you want to translate "land of the sacred" you'd have to specify what you're talking about (the sacred what?) But if you're happy with what I've given above they work fine too.

"Mórthír/An Mhórthír" Mainland/The Mainland

Here's a start. Await further input and/or confirmation.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help with this, it can be hard to get a proper translation on different websites as well. Thanks! :)

If anyone can help with the rest of these words, it'd be fantastic as I can't find translations or pronunciations anywhere online.

Foreign Lands/ Foreigners/ Alien/ Invaders -

Otherworld/ Outerworld/ Star Worlds/ Or something to do with magical lands -

Universe/ Sea of Stars/ The Void/ Abyss, outer space or something to do with that -

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Gall would be foreigner, have you used teanglann.ie or tearma.ie

Gall would be foreigner, have you used teanglann.ie or tearma.ie

Sorry for late reply, yeah I know of those websites, I'll try some different wording for what I'm looking for and see if I can come up with something that meets in the middle in terms of a word that can be used.

Thank you for replying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Context is king in this sort of situation.
    You can very easily get a poor translation without context.

I assume you are writing in English and not in Irish?

Advertisement