Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Psychology & Resilience

• 21-10-2019 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this piece was interesting, especially seeing how absent resilience appears at times nowadays. Reference too to the excellent Martin Seligman's ideas.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2019/1018/1084574-what-positive-psychology-teaches-us-about-resilience/

My own feeling, as stated in the article, is that a caring supportive adult is key along with a personality type that can embrace challenges.

So is resilience something that can be taught or built or is it a factor innate to particular personality types?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

I don't think it's innate and I don't think it's teachable. If you are homeless and need food you can't (imho) be taught resilience. If there is the presence of a caring adult as in the above scenario it's more likely (although not stated in the article) that other basic needs may also be fulfilled. I'm a big fan of Seligmans and Chechgetmihi (not googling it) idea of PERMA but added diet activity and sleep to it.
    Imho this can only be utilised after the trauma/social problem has been dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

How come you think it isn't teachable? There is so much evidence to the contrary

Sorry didn't structure that well. I meant I don't think it's teachable while you are in the midst of something traumatic, ie homelessness. I don't think you can teach a child resilience and then pack them back to a hotel room and a "TV dinner". I think we have a **** storm coming down the tracks there tbh.

(An opinion and open to correction/learning.)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Oh yeah, I'd share that opinion! I think it's something to do while things are going ok, a partially effective vaccine rather than a treatment or cure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

We're entirely lacking the social bit of bio-psycho-social approaches.
    An individual exists in a society.

• Advertisement

From what I can see in the services it's a bio bio bio approach. Many/most are discharged if they come of medication.

Advertisement