Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

More handwriting help

• 31-05-2015 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Looking to decipher some handwriting on the attached image. The 15th is the date in question. I did have this up here before but it was a smaller image so hopefully the larger image might help. Thanks.
    p.s. I'd say there's going to be a lot more of these type of threads after July 8th!

Thomas_Moore_baptism_1857.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

BigCon wrote: »
    Looking to decipher some handwriting on the attached image. The 15th is the date in question. I did have this up here before but it was a smaller image so hopefully the larger image might help. Thanks.
    p.s. I'd say there's going to be a lot more of these type of threads after July 8th!

I bow to the superior talents of the other posters in this forum but it looks to me like;

"15th Thomas Moore of Michael and Mary Barron
    Patrick Barron and Mary G_____"

Presuming the last two names are the sponsors/godparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I can see where the person who transcribed than got those names. Barron and Margt. are ok, the other two words are more difficult,

The P for Patrick is ok, and the 'a' looks split in half, there seems to be two 't's, the first missing the crossbar, and the second followed by a subscript r ?

The double 'r's in the last word are the same type of strokes as the ones in Barron. The second letter might be an 'a' rather than 'e', and J as the first letter is certainly possible or maybe 'G' ? The original transcriber probably worked the J out by comparing to other sightly clearer instances from other examples on the page.
    - Shanenew's contribution from the earlier thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92085772

and from Pretzill in the same thread:
    To me Margt. Guinet but the Patt looks like Patrick except the end does look like a th rather than a ck.

(Newbie here btw - delighted to find this forum on boards I'm knee deep in research at the moment - so expect questions soon)

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Could it be Margaret Guinan? What looks like a T might be a cross sign?

Advertisement