Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-11-2019, 12:44   #556
adrian522

The Dublin Marathon already does a lot for volunteers, your club gets a donation per each volunteer, the volunteer gets a free running jacket and they also get food and drinks for the day.

I find a lot of the posts on this thread to be a bit over the top in terms of the expectations people have of the Dublin marathon in terms of providing entries and facilitation people dropping out and refunding/exchanging entries.

Each to their own but I don't know of any races that do this.

Also on the NY City Marathon and volunteering:

Quote:
* Volunteering on race day (November 3, 2019) at the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon does not count toward the 9+1 guaranteed entry requirements, except for volunteer opportunities at the start area.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-11-2019, 12:54   #557
robinph

Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
Volunteers at the likes of Dublin Marathon and any other similar scale event are not volunteering for the marathon, they are volunteering for their running club who gets paid for their efforts. It might be that the individual gets nothing other than a tshirt for their efforts, but they are paid for by the marathon event and are not free staff.

Using the term volunteer isn't the same as being a volunteer for a parkrun and is really the wrong word. Not sure what the right word is though.
(3) thanks from:
13-11-2019, 14:53   #558
TaurenDruid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilOssophy View Post
Why? So if I volunteer to throw out water bottles at the Marathon next year, you think that should guarantee me an entry?

Do volunteers at music festivals get free tickets for the following year? No.
Do the volunteers who do the soup run for the Simon Community get something in response? No.

People volunteer the length and breath of the country, be it in GAA clubs or football or rugby or whatever clubs. They expect nothing in return. Why is this different? I know people who volunteer in football clubs in Dublin and didn't get a sniff at an All-Ireland ticket this year, they just got on with it.
Yes, as pointed out, as a voiunteer at music gigs and festivals, I get free entry and can watch whatever I want before or after my shift. And I get free beer.

St John's Ambulance, Order of Malta, etc - all get to enjoy sports, music and other events for free.

And volunteers look out for volunteers - even if it's "only" my local parkrun, the person who brought along the cake will make sure the timekeepers, token person and barcode scanners get offered cake before the participants do.

And see the bit where I mentioned "not free"? Just, like, the option of an entry? Obviously, it would have to be paid for.
15-11-2019, 20:16   #559
skyblue46

16,000 places taken. Mental!!
15-11-2019, 21:31   #560
morceli

Yep 6200 in the lottery now 🙂
Advertisement
15-11-2019, 21:49   #561
rovers_runner

Two possible outcomes here.

1. Move start/finish to the Phoenix Park.

2. Change the start finish area drastically in town.
Take out pinch point 200m into the race
Change finish to head back out of town to allow more space for post race needs.
15-11-2019, 21:59   #562
MonkstownHoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovers_runner View Post

That seems to be a theory doing the rounds that they are trying to use demand to push the council to allow them make a change
Thanks from:
15-11-2019, 22:33   #563
ligerdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligerdub View Post

So with that in mind it's reasonable to assume that there was in the region of 40,000 emails sent out. Of these a lot of them were probably international and unlikely to do again. I'd say it will run close to filling up from past entrants alone though. My guess would be about 15,000 will take up their spot over the 72 hours but that's just a guess.
Well.....I was close.

Pretty much an ideal scenario from the organisers point of view. It keeps the repeat entrants happy but also leaves those looking for a first time entry with a reasonable shot of getting in. At a guess I'd say they have a better than 50:50 chance of claiming a spot, particularly if you consider those cancelling their number over the next few months.
15-11-2019, 22:42   #564
rovers_runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkstownHoop View Post
That seems to be a theory doing the rounds that they are trying to use demand to push the council to allow them make a change
Jim has acknowledged himself that the current location or its setup on race day has its limitations numbers wise.
Either location changes altogether or big rethink of start/finish area if they get over 25000 of a permit.
Advertisement
15-11-2019, 23:28   #565
robinph

Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovers_runner View Post

Finish area doesn't really matter as you have a relatively controlled and predictable number of people to deal with at any time. The start is what needs to change, streets are narrow (when dealing with tens of thousands of people at the same time) limited space for loos and a 90degree turn after a few hundred meters. Just having the start along the quays would be a massive improvement in getting people moving as you then have a long straight, but move the start out to a big park space and still have the finish in the center would be the best for the runners, just need to move the baggage bags around then which is a major hassle.
(3) thanks from:
16-11-2019, 15:02   #566
rovers_runner

Wonder does this 16100 include places set aside for AAI championship runners and GFA?
If not the they will be planning to oversubscribe by a fair bit it appears.
Thanks from:
16-11-2019, 15:32   #567
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinph View Post
Finish area doesn't really matter as you have a relatively controlled and predictable number of people to deal with at any time. The start is what needs to change, streets are narrow (when dealing with tens of thousands of people at the same time) limited space for loos and a 90degree turn after a few hundred meters. Just having the start along the quays would be a massive improvement in getting people moving as you then have a long straight, but move the start out to a big park space and still have the finish in the center would be the best for the runners, just need to move the baggage bags around then which is a major hassle.
Another option might be to split the starts ala London Marathon,
Have say 2-4hrs starting one area and 4hrs+ starting another and then they join the same course. Have finish area in the same location.

You'd only have to move bags for some of the people then rather then all.
Thanks from:
16-11-2019, 17:29   #568
Glencarraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by morceli View Post
Yep 6200 in the lottery now 🙂
Even less after the good for age is done.
Thanks from:
16-11-2019, 22:31   #569
RacoonQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaal View Post
Another option might be to split the starts ala London Marathon,
Have say 2-4hrs starting one area and 4hrs+ starting another and then they join the same course. Have finish area in the same location.

You'd only have to move bags for some of the people then rather then all.
Yep different start areas would be the solution. The quays might work, one start on Quays, one start on South Quays.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion