Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1st time insurer from NI/UK

Options
  • 16-11-2019 1:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Can someone help me out here as I don't understand what I'm doing wrong?

I'm 26, from the North and have been driving since I'm 17 with no accidents, claims etc ever.

I moved down to dublin earlier this year and just continued driving away on my uk insurer (I know I shouldn't have as my address has changed). Anyways it's up for renewal now in January 2020.

I drive a 2011 VW Golf 1.6TDi Bluemotion. A relatively economical car in terms of fuel costs.
    I've always had insurance in my own name and I pay about £500 sterling consistently over the last few years.

I've tried 3 different compare websites for Irish insurers this morning and it's some shock! All quoting me like €1600+ - One insurer Kennco was like €900.

I wasn't expecting it at all and I couldn't afford that.

Why am I being quoted very high rates? I've a full UK license for 9 years, and a clean record.
    Changed my UK reg plates this week to Irish ones and managed to avoid VRT after submitting an exemption form and a pile of supporting evidence. Just the motor tax and insurance now. Living in Dublin 15

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Welcome to Ireland. Insurance is expensive for most people, it's not unique to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Thanks for the help Bazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is your UK insurer still insuring you on an Irish plate?

One thing I'd advise doing is exchanging your UK licence for an Irish one, lots of insurers will charge an excess for a UK licence as no penalty points can be added to it for offences committed here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement