Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Young cat diarrhoea

• 07-11-2019 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

I have a 6 month old female cat which has had diarrhoea for the past three weeks plus. Changing the diet from a mix of adult dry and wet food to dry kitten showed no improvement.
    She is full of life with a great coat and putting on weight.
    The vet is suggesting protozoan giardia and prescribed a twelve day antibiotic course.
    It's day five and the only change is the stool's colour from yellow to brown, which she passes on average four times a day.

Does anyone else have experience or suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fingerbang2

Put the cats nose in it, that’ll teach it

Mod note: do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Unfortunately if I do that the only thing she will think is that I'm a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Some suggest slippery elm and raw pumpkin. Or cooked chicken breast rather than cat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Not sure if you are in the Dublin area but during the last boil water notice I moved my cats on to bottled water as a precaution. Since I did neither has gotten sick or diarrhoea which they had been doing for years. I’m leaving them on it and not drinking the tap water again myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

I second Grace's suggestion of slippery elm. Its really good for digestive issues. You can get it health food stores. Either sprinkle over the food or make a syrup (just Google it for a recipe} and give it with a syringe a few ml a day.
    It full on totally runny diareara or very soft stool? Or kttien always had very soft stool (now we can't really tell as he does his business outside but we haven't seen any evidence of excessive Diarrhea) and he is thriving.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Presumably you are not giving your cat cow's milk?

looksee wrote: »
    Presumably you are not giving your cat cow's milk?

Never. Water only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fingerbang2

Mod note: do not post in this thread again.

Why, could possibly put it down either?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Why, could possibly put it down either?

Possibly.
    Regardless, you are now banned from the forum for trolling.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I got canigest before at the vets for a dog with severe stomach issues and it waa AMAZING.
    It is for both cats and dogs and a main ingredient is bentonite (sp) clay which acts as type of binding agent for the stool. Its nice and gentle on their tummies too and from their reactions quite tasty.
    Its not prescription needed product and I bought the last tube on Amazon to have at the ready for my cat just incase.

bertsmom wrote: »
    I got canigest before at the vets for a dog with severe stomach issues and it waa AMAZING.
    It is for both cats and dogs and a main ingredient is bentonite (sp) clay which acts as type of binding agent for the stool. Its nice and gentle on their tummies too and from their reactions quite tasty.
    Its not prescription needed product and I bought the last tube on Amazon to have at the ready for my cat just incase.

Perfect! I was thinking along those lines. As the cat was otherwise well, seems a consistency problem rather than systemic illness.

Re cows milk. I have never ever had a cat who was lactose intolerant. Yes I do give cows' milk with no ill effects. It is a useful and enjoyable food source After all, farm cats live on it.

I'll look out for canigest thanks.

If a cat is given a food which meets it's nutritional requirements then there is no need to give it cow's milk.
    After weaning cats lose the ability to fully process it.
    Feeding cow's milk to them does not always result in diarrhoea but can cause cramps. Of course we can't tell if a cat has cramps but we do know that they are uncomortable and painful.

auspicious wrote: »
    I'll look out for canigest thanks.

If a cat is given a food which meets it's nutritional requirements then there is no need to give it cow's milk.
    After weaning cats lose the ability to fully process it.
    Feeding cow's milk to them does not always result in diarrhoea but can cause cramps. Of course we can't tell if a cat has cramps but we do know that they are uncomortable and painful.

Thank you. I knew all this but give little credit to that theory. The research was minimal and hyped. A cat has more sense than to ingest what would give it pain. One of my new ones loves milk and that is fine by us. When she came to me she was underweight and eating little. That she would accept milk was a breakthrough and she is fit and a good weight now

There is research that says exactly the same things about humans and cows milk.

We each choose what our cats eat. Freely and caringly and fully aware of all aspects. In all the years I have bred and had cats I have never had any issue with milk.

Over and out from me on this

Hoping your little one gets totally better! She has a great owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The vet is suggesting protozoan giardia and prescribed a twelve day antibiotic course.

Did the vet run a test for Giardia or he/she just prescribed the antibiotic course?
    I'm against the use of antibiotics without a real need, they create antibiotic-resistance and do not solve the current problem.

I'm experiencing something similar to your case.
    I've changed food, added probiotics of several kinds, clay (binder), done fecal tests and other things, but I did not find the solution so far...

Did the vet run a test for Giardia or he/she just prescribed the antibiotic course?
    I'm against the use of antibiotics without a real need, they create antibiotic-resistance and do not solve the current problem.

I'm experiencing something similar to your case.
    I've changed food, added probiotics of several kinds, clay (binder), done fecal tests and other things, but I did not find the solution so far...

I stopped the course after 6 days for that reason.
    The diarrhoea in my case isn't seemingly adversely affecting her health. She is thriving.
    She's being given Purina Felix Beef in jelly now and over the last two days her stool has had proper structure though soft. I'm not sure if it's the food or she's righting herself
    I've sent off for slippery elm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

I stopped the course after 6 days for that reason.
    The diarrhoea in my case isn't seemingly adversely affecting her health. She is thriving.
    She's being given Purina Felix Beef in jelly now and over the last two days her stool has had proper structure though soft. I'm not sure if it's the food or she's righting herself
    I've sent off for slippery elm.

The cat's not vegan then :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

emeldc wrote: »
    The cat's not vegan then :rolleyes:

Sorry, but what exactly are you talking about and rolling your eyes about? Nobody ever said the cat was vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Bring the cat to the vet. Keep her hydrated.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

OP I don't know if you've gotten this sorted since or not but what kind of kitty litter do you use(if any)?

One of our cats used to get diarrhoea as she kept eating the kitty litter we were using at the time (she was only a kitten at the time).

• Advertisement

Stool is good now though a little off-colour and soft.
    I can safely rule out litter. Cheers.

There's not a bother on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Ahhhh gorgeous! Glad shes better

Advertisement