Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-10-2019, 23:33   #16
worded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srameen View Post
Is it on your receipt? And are you actually entitled to a refund in the first place?
It was a present

Brought to store and it was swapped for a working model, all fine now
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-10-2019, 11:32   #17
GerardKeating

Send a message via ICQ to GerardKeating Send a message via AIM to GerardKeating Send a message via MSN to GerardKeating Send a message via Yahoo to GerardKeating Send a message via Skype™ to GerardKeating
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 View Post
Just hand back any card, they won't notice the difference. Policy in the retailer I work in is to request the card they paid with, it's mainly for fraud purposes but we've no way of checking as the card number isn't anywhere on the receipt in my place
The Last 4 digits of the card number should be on the receipt.

Also (in stores with integrated Till Systems) sometimes the till does the check and will not accept a different card.
06-11-2019, 23:18   #18
prinzeugen

It should have to back on the same card for accounting/stock control reasons.

A similar but not card related thing happened in a shop I worked in.

Customer bought €600 worth of stuff. Paid by cheque. A few days later he returned and informed a co-worker that the cheque would bounce and handed over cash.

You can imagine my confusion when I was cashing up the following morning to find €600 more than there should be.

2 weeks later we got a call from HQ asking why we were €600 short.. That was the cheque bouncing.

Took a month to sort as it also screwed up the stock handling (it was €600 worth of various items costing about €10-15 each)

Insisting the money goes back on the same card is traceable and simpler especially for places with multiple shops.

It is also to stop people from picking up a receipt in the car park and pulling the item of the shelf and asking for a cash refund (It happens).
07-11-2019, 20:15   #19
NewbridgeIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinzeugen View Post
It should have to back on the same card for accounting/stock control reasons.

A similar but not card related thing happened in a shop I worked in.

Customer bought €600 worth of stuff. Paid by cheque. A few days later he returned and informed a co-worker that the cheque would bounce and handed over cash.

You can imagine my confusion when I was cashing up the following morning to find €600 more than there should be.

2 weeks later we got a call from HQ asking why we were €600 short.. That was the cheque bouncing.

Took a month to sort as it also screwed up the stock handling (it was €600 worth of various items costing about €10-15 each)

Insisting the money goes back on the same card is traceable and simpler especially for places with multiple shops.

It is also to stop people from picking up a receipt in the car park and pulling the item of the shelf and asking for a cash refund (It happens).

If you get paid by cheque and it bounces, then why would you not be happy to accept a more reliable payment method?

The cash that was paid over should have been set aside with a note explaining its presence (as opposed to going through the till). That way there would be no confusion.
Thanks from:
08-11-2019, 02:42   #20
prinzeugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbridgeIR View Post
If you get paid by cheque and it bounces, then why would you not be happy to accept a more reliable payment method?

The cash that was paid over should have been set aside with a note explaining its presence (as opposed to going through the till). That way there would be no confusion.
In theory yes. Computer systems in multi branch shops dont think like that however!

The gent told us and handed over cash before the chain would be aware that it was a rubber cheque. In fairness he was honest but it was too late as it had been banked at that point.

Us humans know what is going on but computers dont. That is why shops dont do cheques and insist refunds go on the card used.

JD sports is a good example. Buy stuff online using a card, can get refund in store to the same card.

Buy stuff online using paypal and it must go back to the UK by post before you get a refund.

Its all about the transaction chain.

Last edited by prinzeugen; 08-11-2019 at 02:52.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion