Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-11-2019, 12:43   #61
Somedaythefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecosmos View Post
It is a con. Comparing Nivea beauty cream with Cien. Or Heineken with lidl own brand beer. Very misleading.
What exactly did you think they were doing? I thought it was quite obvious.
Advertisement
01-11-2019, 13:31   #62
sweetmaggie

Quote:
I have lost count the amount of times I have bought fruit and veg in Aldi/Lidl and it has been partially spoiled/rotten. Just bought Satsumas yesterday and had to throw half out. Many times Ive seen blue mould on the fruit/veg in Lidl/Aldi. So I carefully choose. In fairness to Dunnes (where I go the odd time), you pay more, but the products are of a higher quality. Also they dont sell mad stuff like welding kits which can save you money too
Feckin satsumas in Lidl are rotten this week ! Maybe it’s an entire shipment but I’m never buying them again. They were mostly shriveled up and completely dried out inside when you peeled them.
Likewise their PinkLady apples lately.......looked fine on the outside but seem to have lots of brown strange tasting bruises inside . My entire pack of 6 were like this

I live right beside a Dunnes but find them very expensive . I never use their vouchers as I’m single and usually don’t buy enough in one go.
01-11-2019, 13:43   #63
GreenandRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedaythefire View Post
What exactly did you think they were doing? I thought it was quite obvious.

They're being clever but the big 'save' is being misleading for me. These families haven't made savings because they weren't buying the non-Lidl bought more expensive alternatives before. Would Dacia advertise a 4x4 saying it saves the customer 80,000 on a BMW alternative?

Lidl and Aldi are getting the name out there and people in the door who are paying too much for some stuff, though you need to pay a bit more for quality. Dunnes don't foldable guest beds either, always handy if you've foldable guests staying.
Thanks from:
03-11-2019, 23:34   #64
ctlsleh

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Personally I find the quality in DS very good and shopping there is just a much more enjoyable experience overall......I have tried Aldi/Lidl and haven’t found huge value there, find the veg tasteless, but the nuts are good value, but overall it a chore to shop there by comparison to DS....!
Some people won’t like that, but IMO, grocery shopping can be an enjoyable experience and I think DS have figured that out.
(3) thanks from:
04-11-2019, 08:02   #65
ben.schlomo

Quote:
It is a con. Comparing Nivea beauty cream with Cien. Or Heineken with lidl own brand beer. Very misleading.
You could compare Heineken to expensive cats p1ss and the cats p1ss would be better value.

The general public are relatively stupid and easily led which is why these types of adverts get people in the doors.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-11-2019, 10:38   #66
Stone Deaf 4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenandRed View Post
It's a con. They're comparing their LIDL shopping basket with same products bought in more expensive (unnamed) competitor shops, only mentioning item description and brand. Check out the excel sheets in link.

https://www.lidl.ie/the-big-save-terms
well, if you can buy a chainsaw in lidl or adli for 40 euros, thats going to be €500 in a hardware store, so thats a huge saving immediately.
04-11-2019, 10:45   #67
Xterminator

i have found the quality of meats in aldi/lidl to be far superior to tesco dunnes prepack. Time and time again the meats are just plain better.
The hand tied sausages in Aldi are the closest thing ive tasted to Superquinn Sausages! Mince is much better, etc.

To the person who said you cant compare branded with own brand because it's not a like for like swap - it is.

My kids only liked branded cereal until i swapped to Aldi. We tried all their own brand stuff and sure enough the own brand cornflakes weren't great, but then we tried others and some are actually better. If Aldi had sold the branded goods probably would have bought them to save hassle, but they didn't and sure enough i had about €40 more in my wallet at the end of the shop.

So it is a saving. I'm not getting dove shampoo & kellogs cornflakes and the difference goes in your pocket.
Thanks from:
04-11-2019, 22:09   #68
elperello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.schlomo View Post
You could compare Heineken to expensive cats p1ss and the cats p1ss would be better value.

The general public are relatively stupid and easily led which is why these types of adverts get people in the doors.
I f you really think that Heineken tastes like feline urine you would be best advised not to drink it.

In fact nobody should drink any beer they don't like the taste of to save money. It sort of defeats the object.

As for the more general issue of the Dunnes offer, I find that if you shop carefully there is value to be had.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion