Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you wise to Dunnes marketing ploy?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

What exactly did you think they were doing? I thought it was quite obvious.

They're being clever but the big 'save' is being misleading for me. These families haven't made savings because they weren't buying the non-Lidl bought more expensive alternatives before. Would Dacia advertise a 4x4 saying it saves the customer 80,000 on a BMW alternative?

Lidl and Aldi are getting the name out there and people in the door who are paying too much for some stuff, though you need to pay a bit more for quality. Dunnes don't foldable guest beds either, always handy if you've foldable guests staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Personally I find the quality in DS very good and shopping there is just a much more enjoyable experience overall......I have tried Aldi/Lidl and haven’t found huge value there, find the veg tasteless, but the nuts are good value, but overall it a chore to shop there by comparison to DS....!
    Some people won’t like that, but IMO, grocery shopping can be an enjoyable experience and I think DS have figured that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It is a con. Comparing Nivea beauty cream with Cien. Or Heineken with lidl own brand beer. Very misleading.

You could compare Heineken to expensive cats p1ss and the cats p1ss would be better value.

The general public are relatively stupid and easily led which is why these types of adverts get people in the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It's a con. They're comparing their LIDL shopping basket with same products bought in more expensive (unnamed) competitor shops, only mentioning item description and brand. Check out the excel sheets in link.

https://www.lidl.ie/the-big-save-terms

well, if you can buy a chainsaw in lidl or adli for 40 euros, thats going to be €500 in a hardware store, so thats a huge saving immediately. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i have found the quality of meats in aldi/lidl to be far superior to tesco dunnes prepack. Time and time again the meats are just plain better.
    The hand tied sausages in Aldi are the closest thing ive tasted to Superquinn Sausages! Mince is much better, etc.

To the person who said you cant compare branded with own brand because it's not a like for like swap - it is.

My kids only liked branded cereal until i swapped to Aldi. We tried all their own brand stuff and sure enough the own brand cornflakes weren't great, but then we tried others and some are actually better. If Aldi had sold the branded goods probably would have bought them to save hassle, but they didn't and sure enough i had about €40 more in my wallet at the end of the shop.

So it is a saving. I'm not getting dove shampoo & kellogs cornflakes and the difference goes in your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,168 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You could compare Heineken to expensive cats p1ss and the cats p1ss would be better value.

The general public are relatively stupid and easily led which is why these types of adverts get people in the doors.

I f you really think that Heineken tastes like feline urine you would be best advised not to drink it.

In fact nobody should drink any beer they don't like the taste of to save money. It sort of defeats the object.

As for the more general issue of the Dunnes offer, I find that if you shop carefully there is value to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Draught canned Guinness is expensive enough in Dunnes compared to Tesco. You would lose the benefit of most of your €10 off voucher if you bought in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

What exactly did you think they were doing? I thought it was quite obvious.

legally I believe they should be comparing like for like product, otherwise it doesn't account for differences in quality. Exampe of Heinz Ketchup Vs their newgate ketchup stuff. Its not the same.might be nice but its different and shouldn't be used an example of a saving.

Dunnes, Tesco & Supervalu all have their own brand equivalent to the Lidl/Aldi brands and this is what they should be price comparing against which in 99% of the cases will negate any saving you make in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

mullinr2 wrote: »
    10 Euro off every 50 euro you spend. Sounds great doesn't it. However if you look at some of their products are way overpriced compared to Aldi/Tesco

For "branded" items, (or atleast the ones i get) Tesco/Dunnes tend to be reasonable competivate, and the "€10 of €50 spend" vouchers tip the balance in favour of Dunnes for me.

I tend to split my shopping between Dunnes and ALDI, I buy what i can in ALDI, and get the rest (that ALDI don't have) in Dunnes. And since (for me) ALDI/Dunnes are beside each other, not much lost in extra time.

Advertisement