Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heartrate and running

• 26-10-2019 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Getting back to running after 4 month break. Average heartrate of 168 on an easy 5k today. Unfortunately I didn’t have a HR on watch when I was running regularly so I can’t compare. Watch also showing I was in zone 5 for 24 mins which I’d imagine in impossible. I’m 46 year female,average resting HR 64. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

168 after a 4 month break sounds normal to me, maybe not zone 5 though, you would have to find out your max hr to configure zones correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

WiseOldOwl wrote: »
    Getting back to running after 4 month break. Average heartrate of 168 on an easy 5k today. Unfortunately I didn’t have a HR on watch when I was running regularly so I can’t compare. Watch also showing I was in zone 5 for 24 mins which I’d imagine in impossible. I’m 46 year female,average resting HR 64. Any thoughts?

It's not likely to have actually been an easy run. What is your 5k PB? What pace were you running at today?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wrist based HR is not reliable at all, unless you are wearing a chest strap HR readings can be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WiseOldOwl

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's not likely to have actually been an easy run. What is your 5k PB? What pace were you running at today?

5k pb 24 something and average pace today 5:57/km. Slow for the old me but maybe not so easy for the new me! 😂

IvoryTower wrote: »
    168 after a 4 month break sounds normal to me, maybe not zone 5 though, you would have to find out your max hr to configure zones correctly

Yes I’m guessing the zones configured by the watch are just way off.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Wrist based HR is not reliable at all, unless you are wearing a chest strap HR readings can be ignored.

That’s what I was hoping. Heart didn’t feel like it was jumping out of my chest or anything , felt fine .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

adrian522 wrote: »

Disagree. I find it very good. Though it does show random numbers now and again like 180 on an easy run when it should be sub 140 etc and then drops to 140. Saying that they can be ignored is not true. Taken with a pinch of salt would be true.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They can be ignored, they are not accurate enough to base training off. If you want to do proper HR training you need a strap. If you just want a general idea it is fine, but you can't read too much into it.

I use it myself but I don't have much faith in its accuracy. It can be + or - 10BPM

https://trailrunnermag.com/training/why-you-should-be-skeptical-about-your-wrist-based-heart-rate.html
    An August 2017 study in the Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise Journal had even more disheartening findings. Fifty athletes spent time on the treadmill, elliptical and stationary bike, and correlation varied from 0.75 to 0.92. As that study concluded: “Electrode-containing chest monitors should be used when accurate HR measurement is imperative.”

rom wrote: »
    Disagree. I find it very good. Though it does show random numbers now and again like 180 on an easy run when it should be sub 140 etc and then drops to 140. Saying that they can be ignored is not true. Taken with a pinch of salt would be true.

Yes I get weird spikes sometimes, like 150 bom climbing a stairs .

Advertisement