Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, 42 eh?

• 02-07-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭

Well as we all know it is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything. But suppose Deep Thought made a mistake and 42 wasn't the answer, what would it be?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

3.1415926535897932384626433832795 ?

Its good to eat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Isn't this a bit of a dumb thread.

The answer is obvious, the answer to the meaning of life would be 48

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

queen-mise wrote: »
    The answer is obvious, the answer to the meaning of life would be 48

Sorry, what was the question again.....

Ask Deep Thought or Marvin, they will inform you

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd rather not ask Marvin, it's not a big enough question to occupy his massive brain and it would only depress him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭trout

I would posit that Deep Thought could only make a mistake, if it was given bad data in the first place.
    In this vast and ponderous Universe, not only is this possible, if you wait long enough ... it is probable.

That 42 is the answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything is of course beyond dispute.

The problem is, as always, what is The Question ?

We know, from the mice, that gems such as "How many roads must a man walk down" are simply filler.

What is required here ... is a really, really, REALLY powerful computer, even bigger than a planet, with more gravity, and much more complex organisms than hairy apes walking the surface. With really nice fjords. And mice.

Well he does claim to have a brain the size of a planet, bit of a coincedence as that's exactly the size of computer the mice ordered from margaretha to find the question...

uh - oh, have we just unearthed a previously unknown subliminal theme ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

54 of course
    What do you get if you multiply 6 by 9?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The Werewolf

It's all very well trying to express the answer to 'Life, The Universe, and Everything' in a simple 2 digit format. I believe that if we did know what the question was then the universe couldn't exist. Or at least the question and the answer can't exist in the same universe.

'There is a theory that states that if ever anyone discovers what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.'

My answer is this. It may not be a number at all. It might be,

'Go out there and have a good time whatever you're doing'

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Personally I have a sneaking suspicion that the answer is actually blancmange.

• Advertisement

I say pavlova ... it has connotations with palaver ... and that's always good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If Deep Thought was asked what the meaning of life, the universe and everything was and he came back with "Syntax error" would we all dissappear?

perhaps we would implode and disappear in a puff of logic ... doesn't bear thinking about.

it would be so much more fun for Deep Thought to have decided we were an 'oxymoron' rather than a 'syntax error'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

What if Deep Thought divided by zero?
    Then we'd all be truly ****ed! :eek:

picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=140

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Actually, for the meaning of life to have any meaning, there has to be some life to mean something in the first place.

If we want to work out how much life is actually in the universe we need to either count every last person in the whole universe, which would take a really long time that could be better spent getting drunk, or we can work out the average amount of people per planet and multiply that by the number of planets to get a rough total. If we take it that the universe is infinitely big, then it must have an infinite number of planets within it, but not every planet has life on it which means there is only a finite number of people. To work out the average number of people of people per planet we divide the number of people by number of planets, and since any finite number divided by an infinite number gives 0, the average population of any planet is in fact 0.

Therefore there is actually no life in the universe, all of the people you have ever known, and even this forum, are simply figments of your imagination. If you follow this logically one step further you will see that you too do not exist, and are in fact a figment of your own imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

The answer would be the New York Giants as they won Super Bowl XLII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

JJ wrote: »
    The answer would be the New York Giants as they won Super Bowl XLII.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

stevenmu wrote: »
    Actually, for the meaning of life to have any meaning, there has to be some life to mean something in the first place.

If we want to work out how much life is actually in the universe we need to either count every last person in the whole universe, which would take a really long time that could be better spent getting drunk, or we can work out the average amount of people per planet and multiply that by the number of planets to get a rough total. If we take it that the universe is infinitely big, then it must have an infinite number of planets within it, but not every planet has life on it which means there is only a finite number of people. To work out the average number of people of people per planet we divide the number of people by number of planets, and since any finite number divided by an infinite number gives 0, the average population of any planet is in fact 0.

Therefore there is actually no life in the universe, all of the people you have ever known, and even this forum, are simply figments of your imagination. If you follow this logically one step further you will see that you too do not exist, and are in fact a figment of your own imagination.
    I dream, therefore I am. The infinite universe is only infinite because we haven't found it's boundaries yet. What if there is nothing (i.e 0) beyond the universe; does that mean infinity is replaced by a finite large number once we find the boundaries of the universe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

The meaning of life must ultimatelly be a question, mutually exclusive of the answer, but cannot exist without it, in much the opposite way that death could be considered the conclusion to life. Neither can prove the other yet ultimately death is proof of life.
    However life in itself can not prove death without ceasing to exist or simply resorting to expletives, oblique references to the colour blue or authentic Persian rugs

/ Extremely deep bits failed to save/

Even as I type I find mysellf fading in and out of existence restored purely by the fact that at no point am I foolish enough to hit Return

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Interesting article, sounds like they solved the problem that Netflix offered a million bucks so solve when DVD rentals were at the peak. Sadly for them, the offer expired. Great to hear they made progress tho.

Not quite 42 but getting there :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I still think the Babelfish would be better.

485909.jpg

zCJxxUe.gif
    https://i.imgur.com/zCJxxUe.mp4
    The "Dolphin" spotted on Jupiter by NASA's Juno spacecraft during a flyby conducted on 29th October 2018

So, that's where they all ended up! :pac:

wow!

New Home wrote: »

Destruction of our planet for the bypass is edging ever closer!! :D

Indeed. But who cares, I've my towel. :cool:

Say, remember when Homer Simpson said this?

...does that mean he's a galaxy hitchhiker, and we never realised it?

• Advertisement

There are so many things you can do with a towel other than wearing it...

He's on the right track tho by having one!

Advertisement