Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin ranks 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Everybody -- back on topic now. Please and thank you!

I've seen you on the RSA pages on FB almost word for word what you've written too.

You consistently get your ass handed to you on FB so I won't further humiliate you here.

You can't afford a car,I get it.

I cycle myself but I drive to work because I can.

Jealousy is a terrible affliction and making up facts and figures will not change that.

You need to read the commuting and transport charter before posting again.

Your posting quality need to improve -- ie cut out the sniping, cut out the one-liner replies, cut out posting links to UK articles when asked about Dublin City Centre.

Pedestrians are not Road users they cross the roads but they do not travel on the roads.

I beleive you were told this numerous times when you were trolling the RSA pages on FB.

Pedestrians are road users under Irish law.

This is not up for debate.

How do get to see the screen of their phone clearly enough to know what they're watching from the seat of your four door sedan? Wouldn't their phone be above your level?
    No, you didn't say that before, until you were backed into a corner, surprisingly enough.

Please deal with what posters say and not what mode of transport you think they use or don't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Would putting a toll to cross over the canals , say e1 etc, cut down traffic that might just walk or cycle instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Would putting a toll to cross over the canals , say e1 etc, cut down traffic that might just walk or cycle instead?

Not if the toll was €1. Something like €20 each way to cross the M50 and a further €20 each way to cross the canals.

Include park and ride at €10 outside the M50 but you get a day's leap card credit thrown in.

You could include 'necessary use' exemptions for wheelchair users or heavy tool transport etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Not if the toll was €1. Something like €20 each way to cross the M50 and a further €20 each way to cross the canals.

Include park and ride at €10 outside the M50 but you get a day's leap card credit thrown in.

You could include 'necessary use' exemptions for wheelchair users or heavy tool transport etc.

That'll defeat the purpose of the M50, better to toll based on the number of exits traveled. Getting on at 1 and exiting at the next being more expensive than someone who goes the full length of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

amcalester wrote: »
    That'll defeat the purpose of the M50, better to toll based on the number of exits traveled. Getting on at 1 and exiting at the next being more expensive than someone who goes the full length of it.

No. I'm talking about crossing the M50. You can travel along it all you like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

No. I'm talking about crossing the M50. You can travel along it all you like...

Ah, sorry I read that as increasing the current toll.

Still thinks it's unworkable, too big of an area. I do think there'll eventually be a congestion charge within the canals with some of the main arterial roads excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pedestrians are not Road users they cross the roads but they do not travel on the roads.

Ermm, they do. In fact I only done so at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think the mods should put a stop to every thread turning into cyclists v car drivers, quoting stats, etc.
    As a pedestrian most of the time around Dublin, both are as bad as each other.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I think the mods should put a stop to every thread turning into cyclists v car drivers, quoting stats, etc.

The mods have already told all posters to get back on topic — please don’t discuss moderation in-thread.

— moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

monument wrote: »
    The mods have already told all posters to get back on topic — please don’t discuss moderation in-thread.

— moderator

Sorry, I'd skipped a load of pages of predictable dross between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You need to have a quality bus service before you can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

You need to have a quality bus service before you can do that.

You need a plan which will deliver a quality bus service and implement things simultaneously.

The problem we see right now via Bus Connects is people are opposing the plan to improve the bus service because they want to use their cars because the bus service isn't good enough.

sharper wrote: »
    You need a plan which will deliver a quality bus service and implement things simultaneously.

The problem we see right now via Bus Connects is people are opposing the plan to improve the bus service because they want to use their cars because the bus service isn't good enough.

Well there is that, but there also the situation where people need to get into work for 8/9 on sunday morning and there is no bus service till after 9!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I’m guessing if cars are further discouraged from driving in to the city, the buses and LUAS will move a lot better and more units can be provided.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I’m guessing if cars are further discouraged from driving in to the city, the buses and LUAS will move a lot better and more units can be provided.

Aye that's the sensible thinking, now you forgot we have unions in the country who look after their own interest!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭SeanW

It was rush hour, around 8.30am.

If you want me to do your research for you, then we'll need to agree an hourly rate in advance.
    I suspect that no amount of evidence would be sufficient for some here.

Nevertheless I actually looked at this again this week. I happened to be around the Bank of Ireland on College Green this past Friday, and I took some photos of the mess as it existed around 6:30 PM, more like a few minutes after. Normally one would hope that the evening rush would begin to subside at that point but it was still at least part in full swing and I would estimate that it would have taken a bus trying to get beyond College St. (either D'Olier St to Grafton St, or from Pearse St. to Westmoreland St.) anywhere from 10-30 minutes to do so.

See attachments to this post. You can see buses, taxis and Luas trams jockeying for inadequate road space. You can also see queues of buses backed up from the CG junction all the way up D'Olier St and beyond the Garda Station on Pearse St.

There is a serious problem at that junction and the photos I've posted show at least partial evidence of that.

Because what you see in those photos is the results of decades of under-investment in public transport in Dublin. You can wax lyrical about the evil motorists all you like it doesn't change the fact that the alternatives other cities have, like Metro or even tram networks, extensive suburban rail systems etc, just don't exist.
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    What do you think is the main factor impacting on an inefficient bus system in Dublin? I’m guessing people travelling to the city in 20% full vehicles has a lot to do with it. And where bus lanes are provided, motorists still insist on using them.

That’s the circular argument about bus transport in Dublin. People who insist on driving to the city centre say they won’t use buses because they’re slow. Yet they’re part of the problem contributing to this. There’s an attitude that I can do it my car, but when 100,000 other people do it it kind of screws it up for everyone.
    Private motorists are banned form many movements through College Green.
    Pinch Flat wrote:
    Sad thing is, a lot of motorists would think this is serious. Don't underestimate Joe Public who wants to drive from his 3 bed semi in Lucan to the office door in Dublin 2.
    Funny, this was EXACTLY what I had to do by bus last year. IMO anyone who tries to do that by car is insane, because if it takes 2 hours by bus, with bus lanes all the way, how long would it take in a private car? :confused::confused:

But lets assume that there are thousands of people driving every weekday from Lucan to an office in D2, and that they are not all certifiably insane for doing so. What should they do instead? Move to Windy Arbor and get the Luas? (Spoiler: It's maxed out and they might not be able to get on). How about move to Donaghmede? That's not a good idea either, because DARTs coming into the city around 9AM at least from the Northside are sardine cans, they can't take any more people). Or maybe they should stay in Lucan and enjoy averaging 5 MPH on some variant of the 25? What are the alternatives?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Take out the private property dumped in picture 2 and you've got another lane for traffic Sean. ;)
    Jeez this thread has reminded me why I moved close to my office.

From what I can see all the traffic in those (still) photos is moving bar one. Imagine we threw private cars back in to the mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres no half an hour wait in any of them pics! One or two traffic light cycles would clear all of the vehicles in any of your pics. You have one image of a LUAS making its way along unimpeded, but you describe this as "Luas trams jockeying for inadequate road space"?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

From what I can see all the traffic in those (still) photos is moving bar one. Imagine we threw private cars back in to the mix?

They raise the question of why we let taxis in bus lanes and bus gates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

picture 1 - i can see what i think are 4 or 5 buses, and 8 or 9 taxis.
    picture 2 - much harder to tell, but about the same ratio.
    not madly dissimilar for most other shots. given that a car takes up pretty much half the space of a dublin bus, it is making a good argument for banning taxis from college green. you could probably double the number of buses by removing the taxis, so passenger throughput would increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭SeanW

1) I did not take video on Friday. The stills were to show how far back the buses were queuing at that point. And while in some the buses were moving albeit very slowly, mostly if there's blur it's because of the camera taking poor pictures in those conditions.
    2) I am certainly not suggesting that we "throw private cars back into the mix" at that junction as it would be madness in that case. What I am suggesting is that any proposed solution must involve more than just crapping on motorists. Something no-one here seems capable of.

SeanW wrote: »
    1) I did not take video on Friday. The stills were to show how far back the buses were queuing at that point. And while in some the buses were moving albeit very slowly, mostly if there's blur it's because of the camera taking poor pictures in those conditions.
    2) I am certainly not suggesting that we "throw private cars back into the mix" at that junction as it would be madness in that case. What I am suggesting is that any proposed solution must involve more than just crapping on motorists. Something no-one here seems capable of.

Yeah, point taken and thanks for taking the time to put up images. They seem to be moving in all but one of the photos looking at the brake lights and the positioning of the buses. In one the lane that the buses could overtake each other is blocked by cars. I'm a motorist myself, but I'm experienced enough to know that motorists are the main cause of traffic delays in Dublin. Huge injections of money needs to be made in the city to get motorists out of the cars and in to a decent public transport system.

I can't see it happening very quickly. TD's from over represented other parts of the country on the receiving end of motorways with future full capacity and road upgrades to service sparse populations do not want to see money being spent on an underground metro style service for the capital. And they seem to be having their way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

In terms of outcomes they are quite evidently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I found the traffic in Dublin much lighter today even with the poor weather. It's amazing the difference schools being off makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I found the traffic in Dublin much lighter today even with the poor weather. It's amazing the difference schools being off makes.

Just shows you how many lazy kids and parents there are out there.

I walked or cycled to school no issues and it's amazing to see the same cars every day sit in traffic to drop the kids to turn back and sit in traffic again.

See so many that are a 10 minutes walk from house to school but they will sit in the car for 30 minutes or more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Just shows you how many lazy kids and parents there are out there.

I walked or cycled to school no issues and it's amazing to see the same cars every day sit in traffic to drop the kids to turn back and sit in traffic again.

See so many that are a 10 minutes walk from house to school but they will sit in the car for 30 minutes or more...

The issue of schoolbags needs to be dealt with fairly urgently. My bag was routinely 10kg in weight, having to walk to the bus was absolute torture when I had to do it. Looking back (it’s not long ago), I would’ve LOVED to cycle to school, but the weight is a major obstacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Qrt wrote: »
    The issue of schoolbags needs to be dealt with fairly urgently. My bag was routinely 10kg in weight, having to walk to the bus was absolute torture when I had to do it. Looking back (it’s not long ago), I would’ve LOVED to cycle to school, but the weight is a major obstacle.

Strap onto bike???

• Advertisement

it's not just the parents not dropping their kids to school, you'll almost certainly find that there are more parents taking the week off themselves too, so there's less worker commuter traffic also.

Advertisement