Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Just completed the 3 online assessments there

Not the worst I thought

Anyone any idea how long we be waiting for results on this stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

That is year one of the pay scale you would go on that after your training would be on slightly less while training which will take 14-15 months Year 10 which 95% of us are on is 1125 per week plenty of over time atm especially during seasonal times some depots would have more overtime than others It’s a well paid job lads now it’s not for everyone but there’s is other perks of free doctor and European rail travel Anyone have any questions drop me a message and hopefully I can assist you Best of luck folks

Thanks for the detailed responce. Passed the first section. Gonna start on three tests on Monday. What kind of shift is it. Current gross excluding bonuses is close to the max payscale but that's due to working shift. Shift is either 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am with either a Saturday or Sunday. The full nights are starting to weigh on me but don't mind the weekends. What's the earliest and latest the trains run to. How long are shifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Thanks for the detailed responce. Passed the first section. Gonna start on three tests on Monday. What kind of shift is it. Current gross excluding bonuses is close to the max payscale but that's due to working shift. Shift is either 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am with either a Saturday or Sunday. The full nights are starting to weigh on me but don't mind the weekends. What's the earliest and latest the trains run to. How long are shifts?

First movements start at around 04.30 but most is probally 05.00-06.00. Commuters/DARTs end by 01.00-01.30 and earlier for Intericty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Incredible scheme. Do they pay or offer general private health insurance?

No. But the drivers have a critical illness/long term sick scheme in place. Not sure of the details, maybe someone more knowledgeable could comment.

There are also plans for similar scheme for other safety critical roles.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    First movements start at around 04.30 but most is probally 05.00-06.00. Commuters/DARTs end by 01.00-01.30 and earlier for Intericty.

Just what i wanted to hear. Shifts 8,10 or 12 hours long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Got through stage 1, haven't done the online aptitude tests yet. Thought it very odd that you were asked what sexual orientation you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Just what i wanted to hear. Shifts 8,10 or 12 hours long?

Not exactly sure but 6-8 mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Did the first stage last night at 10pm and got a mail just after midnight to tell me I wasn't successful something a bit dodgy about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Did mine yesterday at 4pm. Told this morning I wasn't successful.
    There goes that dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Incredible scheme. Do they pay or offer general private health insurance?

It is. I might add that it also includes your wife and children.

We also have a good deal on income continuance and critical life insurance. Which comes to about 25 a week. But will pay your wage till retirement if you fall ill. and give you a payout if you get seriously sick with something horrible. Alot of deductions, but many agree its worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Just completed the 3 online assessments there

Not the worst I thought

Anyone any idea how long we be waiting for results on this stage ?

Did you manage to answer all of them in the 22 minutes, also did you complete the whole section on the letters?

Did you manage to answer all of them in the 22 minutes, also did you complete the whole section on the letters?

I answered all questions

Finding the letters I got to about the bottom 3 rows in each one

• Registered Users Posts: 19 steevem23

hello there I did mine last night for nearly 2hrs, but why do u said 22 minutes ..,was there a timer or something, also got a rejected letter this morning at 10 am. I think it's for publicity, they will recruit internally anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

steevem23 wrote: »
    hello there I did mine last night for nearly 2hrs, but why do u said 22 minutes ..,was there a timer or something, also got a rejected letter this morning at 10 am. I think it's for publicity, they will recruit internally anyway.

Was that for the second part or the first application part?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

steevem23 wrote: »

One section had a 22 minute time limit. In the second phase that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Did the stage 1 assessment for the loco driver competition there. I don't expect anything - this was just stage 1 and there was plenty of scope for error and scuppering your application in there. Competition for these positions will be absurd - jobs have been well publicised and people think that public sector and semi state jobs are the ticket to happiness. And everyone loves a choo-choo. There will be all manner of highly qualified, well paid and educated (but unhappy) people applying for these jobs. Junior doctors, airline pilots, people with PhDs and multiple third level qualifications, people on way more money than the top of the salary scale etc. However many will be eliminated well before interview stage.

I dunno, there must be something to the stage 1 exam because I passed it, and so did many of my colleagues who are bus drivers with the right attitude !

Just because a person has a degree or is a doctor doesn't mean they are suited to driving a train. They may very well be able to ability wise with the training but psychologically not for them

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

I dunno, there must be something to the stage 1 exam because I passed it, and so did many of my colleagues who are bus drivers with the right attitude !

Just because a person has a degree or is a doctor doesn't mean they are suited to driving a train. They may very well be able to ability wise with the training but psychologically not for them

The best train driver I ever knew probably left school at 14 years of age and started as a messenger boy with CIE. He has forgotten more about the railways and driving trains than I will ever know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Political Wall Map

The best train driver I ever knew probably left school at 14 years of age and started as a messenger boy with CIE. He has forgotten more about the railways and driving trains than I will ever know

TF by any chance 😍😍

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

In the past, many/most train drivers would have started out at platform level and worked their way up - the proper way of doing things rather than parachuting people in. However, parachuting people with college backgrounds in above people who have actual experience is common throughout every walk of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

So a closed shop essentially? Not the best way to run a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

TF by any chance ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Naw

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

What ages are you lot applying at , be 40 this year but driving various legally since i was 16 , not too sure if my age is against me now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Did the stage 1 assessment for the loco driver competition there. I don't expect anything - this was just stage 1 and there was plenty of scope for error and scuppering your application in there. Competition for these positions will be absurd - jobs have been well publicised and people think that public sector and semi state jobs are the ticket to happiness. And everyone loves a choo-choo. There will be all manner of highly qualified, well paid and educated (but unhappy) people applying for these jobs. Junior doctors, airline pilots, people with PhDs and multiple third level qualifications, people on way more money than the top of the salary scale etc. However many will be eliminated well before interview stage.

However, many of the same people wont be eliminated and will go through. Driving the train is just one aspect of the job; many other skils, knowledge and attitudes are essential to work within the overall company and to progress etc. These soft and transferable skillswill be gained through education and working in other professions.

The entry critera of 9 years is pretty astonishing tbf

Eamonn8448 wrote: »
    What ages are you lot applying at , be 40 this year but driving various legally since i was 16 , not too sure if my age is against me now

43 this year. retirement age is what, 67? They'd get a good 24 years out of me.

dar100 wrote: »
    However, many of the same people wont be eliminated and will go through. Driving the train is just one aspect of the job; many other skils, knowledge and attitudes are essential to work within the overall company and to progress etc. These soft and transferable skillswill be gained through education and working in other professions.

The entry critera of 9 years is pretty astonishing tbf

That just means primary and secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

superg wrote: »
    That just means primary and secondary school.

Yes, thats what i mean.

dar100 wrote: »
    Yes, thats what i mean.

Oh right, you think it should be more stringent. I took it the other way. Apologies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del.Monte wrote: »
    In the past, many/most train drivers would have started out at platform level and worked their way up - the proper way of doing things rather than parachuting people in. However, parachuting people with college backgrounds in above people who have actual experience is common throughout every walk of life.

This isn't the 1930s anymore. Every element of your post seems to think it is - from there being platform staff to thinking you have to 'work your way up'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Eamonn8448 wrote:

I'm fecked so, as I'm older than you but passed stage one and have one final test to complete in stage 2.

Advertisement