Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus UCD Anti Social Behaviour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Heroditas wrote: »
    It was happening when I started there in 92!
    Seems to die down for a year or two and then flare up again.

It dies down on an annual basis,restarting usually with each years freshers intake,when the previous years moulted birds,bring the fledglings on their first flights out of the nest.
    Just as with a mating ritual,there is great competion to see who can be the MOST "Crazy" "Mad" "Wild" tutor,and who can be the equal in the new groups.

What usually dampens the entire thing down is the approach of exams,when the Student Body,as a group,are suddenly made aware that being able to do sums and joined up writing,does not necessarily guarantee them a worthwhile degree in anything of value to Business & Commerce. (Arts operates on a totally different plane :eek:).

There is a very real correlation between this long standing vandalist codology,and the decline of Irish Universities standards,worldwide....

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-universities-world-rankings-4056883-Jun2018/

The headline is deadly accurate....
    Fall of Irish universities in world rankings 'disappointing but not a surprise'

It is certainly not a surprise to Busdrivers (many of whom have Sons & Daughters attending these institutions),who are perhaps far more aware of developing trends,long before they become apparent to College Authorities,Councillors or,for sure...Parents.

In the short term,it is the College Authorities who have the most to lose here,as the standings of their Institutions continue to decline,except that there is no "Politically Correct" way they can find to deal with it.

The Bold Corner or Suspension may have worked in 1st and 2nd Level,but once you start playing in the Big Yard,you must expect far more exacting sanctions.

Meantime,all we will hear is the loud,repeated calls for "More Investment",which presumably will stretch to Taxi's on demand,for all Freshers and partners heading Townwards of a Tuesday Night ....;)

So don't fret,civilization will reclaim the N11 around June :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

I'm someone who does go to UCD (doing a master's) and doesn't live on campus, never even been in the student bar. I'm pretty dependent on the buses to actually pick me up so I can go home. There's been a good few times now I've had to stay back in the library and been left stranded at the bus stop.

I understand that there is anti-social behavior from some of the drunk young ones. It is annoying. Dangerous. They should have the book thrown at them if they're causing damage.

But UCD is huge and there's far more people just trying to get home after their day, then there are causing trouble. Ultimately i don't think it should be up to each bus driver to decide willy-nilly that they can just skip the stop and leave the rest of us in the lurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

In all honesty the drivers want an easy life and don't need any more added stress to the stressful environment the job is already.

Drivers are on their own and have no protection or backing from the company.

I could quote quite a few instances but I don't want to be identified.

I have waited for assistance after being assaulted for 3½ hours.

The inspectors which are on mega money should be out doing their jobs and not sitting in a depot watching TV behind the hatch.

Imo they do as little as possible and are only interested in catching a driver out on some Tyson they can book them.

I've asked for assistance of different ones over the years to be either ignored or told it's not in their job description and sure I could have told the person the issue etc etc.

Drivers are left in a very tough spot and do not want to go out of their way to upset or burden others but it's the only way and I'm surprised it's only hitting the news now as I know this has been going on in my time near 14 years at the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Qrt

In all honesty the drivers want an easy life and don't need any more added stress to the stressful environment the job is already.

Drivers are on their own and have no protection or backing from the company.

I could quote quite a few instances but I don't want to be identified.

I have waited for assistance after being assaulted for 3½ hours.

The inspectors which are on mega money should be out doing their jobs and not sitting in a depot watching TV behind the hatch.

Imo they do as little as possible and are only interested in catching a driver out on some Tyson they can book them.

I've asked for assistance of different ones over the years to be either ignored or told it's not in their job description and sure I could have told the person the issue etc etc.

Drivers are left in a very tough spot and do not want to go out of their way to upset or burden others but it's the only way and I'm surprised it's only hitting the news now as I know this has been going on in my time near 14 years at the company.

Can I ask, do you use the screen all the time? I mean, drivers being subjected to abuse is disgusting and the perpetrators need to be shot out of a cannon to somewhere far far far away, but even on the 27, I often see drivers with the screens down.

Qrt wrote: »
    Can I ask, do you use the screen all the time? I mean, drivers being subjected to abuse is disgusting and the perpetrators need to be shot out of a cannon to somewhere far far far away, but even on the 27, I often see drivers with the screens down.

It's a thing where it's up it's used as a punch bag, you can't hear a thing through it, it can be quite squashed in there too.

I use to be erected put it up but had too much hassle upstairs where they would ask was it up each time something would happen.

I've only started having it up all the time that over a year and God did it feel weird and also at night the shining of lights and reflection can be difficult too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Says a lot that the same nonsense isn’t happening around Trinity. Country bais dazzled by being away from Mammy’s leash, I reckon.

those trinity students often live in town, wouldnt get the bus ha.

its all to do with the increase in cocaine use, we've reached peak boom again and the amount of people wandering round town high as a kite only awake because of columbian magic, some of the calmest pubs in the city now will have some young lads roaring at each other and kicking off because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why does the CCTV of people onboard wrecking the buses not make its way on to Crimecall for these individuals to be identified?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

How is stuff like this allowed happen in this country, why not just put 4 plain clothes Gardaí on every bus going through that area each evening and arrest every single person acting the clown, problem solved, hardly a need to setup a research group and have a study on the problem.

Ireland, the land of non enforcement. From Pat Hickey, the Banks, to Balbriggan and Finglas. Nobody has the balls to stamp out anti social behaviour of one sort or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's a thing where it's up it's used as a punch bag, you can't hear a thing through it, it can be quite squashed in there too.

I use to be erected put it up but had too much hassle upstairs where they would ask was it up each time something would happen.

I've only started having it up all the time that over a year and God did it feel weird and also at night the shining of lights and reflection can be difficult too.

Over in London the assault screen is sealed meaning the driver cannot open even if he/she wished noticed this in other cities too. Would drivers be unhappy if they did that here too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Why does the CCTV of people onboard wrecking the buses not make its way on to Crimecall for these individuals to be identified?
    or to the UCD authorities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

GDPR sadly.

You'd need to pay an editor to blur all the faces not involved, which at bus angles might yield unusable footage , you also have a problem with a lot of young people dressing the same, two young lads with that stupid shaved sides mop on top haircut both in black bubble jackets and one throws a bottle and you accidentally show the other one getting off the bus and you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

You’re aware of the population of UCD when you make statements like that, right? How would that work, DB would pass photos of ten students to some random staff member in UCD and ask them if they’ve seen them before?

markpb wrote: »
    You’re aware of the population of UCD when you make statements like that, right? How would that work, DB would pass photos of ten students to some random staff member in UCD and ask them if they’ve seen them before?

The essence then,being the Irish Solution....do nothing,and do it repeatedly.

As others have pointed out,this idiocy has been ongoing now for decades,and worsening every year.

Safest thing (for a career administrator) is to avoid the spotlight,do NOT be the one who gets too embroiled in a "Joe Duffy" post match review,and let the Busdriver be the responsible person for the actions of a LARGE amount of the UCD Student Body,both on & off the Bus.

This stuff is NOT just the actions of a few.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The essence then,being the Irish Solution....do nothing,and do it repeatedly.

That's not what I said at all. Making suggestions that are completely unworkable is worse than doing nothing. All it does it gives the person saying it a feeling that they are contributing and let's them wonder why others aren't as clever as them. If the problematic passengers were getting on at a different bus stop, what would happen? Would we be suggesting that DB canvas the local residents association for help policing the issue? Of course, not. The right solution for this is for AGS to act on it. Of course, that's unlikely to happen so all we can do is canvas our politicians to add additional resources to AGS or, preferably, for the creation of a transport police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Of all the issues that arise in Dublin, this issue might seem one that something can be done about. This problem is located where a bus depot and garda station are within the next few stops. Those involved haven't for the most part opted out of society and would not be keen on a conviction as it would stop you getting a J1. Definite action, perhaps at the start of the academic year, would set the tone and things could be dampened down and there is something of herd instinct here, if things are calmed others will then be less inclined to act the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

well you can be discipined gor conduct outside the college

UCD Student Code
    http://www.ucd.ie/governance/resources/policypage-studentcode/
    Breaches of Discipline
    Any act or omission, which affects adversely the rights of any other member of the academic community, or which
    disrupts the orderly and responsible conduct of any University activity, or which violates any University Regulation,
    shall constitute a breach of discipline, examples of which could include but are not limited to:
    6.18 Any activity, whether committed inside or outside the University, which adversely affects, or is likely to
    adversely affect, the reputation of the University, its students or members of staff.

well you can be discipined gor conduct outside the college

UCD Student Code
    http://www.ucd.ie/governance/resources/policypage-studentcode/

Excellent stuff !

Presumably all students will have been required to accept and sign this Student Code ?

If so then it offers a very strong rod with which to birch the offenders.
    If the UCD authorities and Bus Companies can be enticed to bring the Student Code to the forefront,then with clear CCTV footage,it should be relatively easy to find a willing volunteer to be the first dope to be expelled for acting the Jinnet in public.

So,it's a waiting game now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Heroditas wrote: »
    It was happening when I started there in 92!
    Seems to die down for a year or two and then flare up again.
    No, the crux of the issue is that this has been happening for YEARS and nothing has changed....
    I travelled that route regularly in 1989/1990 (not as a UCD student) and it was going on then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Over in London the assault screen is sealed meaning the driver cannot open even if he/she wished noticed this in other cities too. Would drivers be unhappy if they did that here too?

I'd start looking for another job straight away. I experimented with the screen up all the way recently, on a late run on the 75, and hated it. It felt claustrophobic and I couldn't hear anyone properly. I think it creates an unfriendly and 'distant' atmosphere between the driver and passengers. If I wanted to speak to people through a screen, I'd get a job in a bank. The chance of taking a punch from a passenger is so low on the routes I drive that it feels completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I'd start looking for another job straight away. I experimented with the screen up all the way recently, on a late run on the 75, and hated it. It felt claustrophobic and I couldn't hear anyone properly. I think it creates an unfriendly and 'distant' atmosphere between the driver and passengers. If I wanted to speak to people through a screen, I'd get a job in a bank. The chance of taking a punch from a passenger is so low on the routes I drive that it feels completely unnecessary.

As long as you realize that if you do get attacked and hurt, the first question your company will ask is " ......"
    I think you know the answer to that.

It may also affect any payed time off to recover from injury inflicted or a claim.

In sh1t hole areas in Dublin mine is up.

I have been attacked more than once.

If UCD was on my route. I would not be stopping for a bunch of lads either. No way in hell I need that BS in my day.

• Advertisement

I actually agree with YDsA's opinion on "The Screen".

Modern Operating companies place a huge emphasis upon "Customer Focused" staff,and have incorporated allsorts of filters into their recruitment processes in an attempt to ensure that pleasant welcoming simle for every customer boarding.

However,such principles depend upon the Customer also buying fully into it,something which cannot be a universal "given" in this business.

My experience in Busdriving predates the "Assault Screen" and incorpoates some Two Person Operation,where it has to be said,some rough behaviour occurred also.

However,such behaviour was VERY rare,and would be a conversation point for months afterwards.

There was a far more personal interaction involved in a Conductor Scenario,as he/she was totally focused upon the Human Factor element of the deal,leaving the Driver to focus on the driving.

However,any Busdriver operating a vehicle in which a Security Screen is provided,would need to fully accquaint themselves with their employers Health & Safety Policy for Driving Staff,as it could place certain responsibilities on the Staff Member regarding the use of relevant PPE,as the screen would be described.

These is NO problem at all in not using any of these protections...UNTIL something happens,and that something,can happen without any warning at all.

The Dublin Bus issue was researched quite comprehensively back in 2008 (?)

https://arrow.dit.ie/aaschssldis/3/

The arrival of One Person Operation altered this delicate relationship for ever,and the situations we see today became more common. (NOT specific to Dublin by any means)

https://www.transportfocus.org.uk/research-publications/publications/antisocial-behaviour-on-buses/

https://planetradio.co.uk/hits-radio/manchester/news/tameside-anti-social-behaviour-bus/

https://www.tfgm.com/press-release/civil-injunctions

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/15445823.bus-services-temporarily-stopped-to-some-newport-areas-after-anti-social-behaviour/

Those are only a pop-up selection of cases,with,I believe the Greater Manchester proposal of injuncting named individuals,being the one most suited to the UCD situation.

It does also offer the greater Student Body some opportunity to reflect upon what exactly they are prepared to do,in order to recover their reputation,which currently is dragged through the muck with regularity along the N11.

Doing nothing is always an option,however it has to be the silent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hmm. those saying the bus driver sitting behind a screen would be a defense to allow gangs on the bus are ignoring another key point.

DB have to provide a safe environment for their customers as well as there staff. The other passengers wont be safe behind a perspex screen and would also be at the mercy of the yobs. Its hard to envisage that some people would like to see the one person charged with their safety unable to leave their berth by design to come to a passengers aid?

The real solution is the enforcement of sanctions on the thugs using available cc tv footage etc. there will always be people who misbehave but if the serial offenders lost their UCD privileges, and their peers saw the law enforced, it would go a long way towards solving issues like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Hmm. those saying the bus driver sitting behind a screen would be a defense to allow gangs on the bus are ignoring another key point.

DB have to provide a safe environment for their customers as well as there staff. The other passengers wont be safe behind a perspex screen and would also be at the mercy of the yobs. Its hard to envisage that some people would like to see the one person charged with their safety unable to leave their berth by design to come to a passengers aid

But what you suggest a bus driver does to come to the aid of passengers? He/she is not a LEO and can do little more than switch off the engine, radio control to call the emmergency services and wait for the emmergency services to arrive or for the situation to come to a conclusion in the mean time ie. the culprits do a runner. There is little more the driver can do.

As for assault screens rightly or wrongly they are something which many urban bus operators have installed across the continent and further afield. Like or not it is in companies and passengers interests to provide a safe working environment for employees as assaults lead to drivers on leave due to injuries suffered in assaults, poor staff retention rates, difficulties attracting new entrants and ultimately a loss in service be that due to a failure to provide enough drivers or drivers refusing to work in at certain times in certain areas.

There is certainly many things that can and should be done to prevent these disturbances but buy and large this is something that is down to agencies such the DoJ, DoF and AGS rather than the NTA, DB and GAI to do.

One thing I would suggest which in my opinion would prevent some of this behaviour is security on certain services deemed high risk similar to the Luas it would provide extra protection for drivers and passengers. They could be deployed on services serving UCD after 21:30 and on the likes of the 13, 27, 40 and 77a.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

Sorry for dragging this up again
    But for the last three nights I have been left stranded by the 39a service from UCD. I finish work usually around 11.00 am so I rely on the 39a to bring me to Baggot street bridge.

I have had to get alternative routes and I have had to walk further and as a female this means that the likelihood of me getting attacked is greater.

On Monday night two drivers sat on the dual carriageway chatting, and one of these buses was scheduled to pick up at our stop which is the stop opposite Belfield court just drove by and skipped the stop, the RTPI disappeared for this stop and the other driver was then ten minutes late before she picked us up. last night the bus drove past this stop, tonight the same driver at 11.15 with the same registration drove past this non-campus stop and the RTPI information disappeared.

When I did get the last bus last night, after two buses driving by the driver flew into town driving by some people flagging down buses.

health and safety is being used as an excuse for these drivers to skip a stop it’s a catch all term.

But what happens if someone gets killed trying to flag down these buses by stepping out into the road which I witnessed last night.

The student population is 32,000 and staff working there are also in high numbers. what about their health and safety

Why are drivers skipping the stops even two stops outside the campus.

What constitutes a gang more than two people at a stop? And drivers seem to be driving past one person at a stop also because it is not worth their while as they can pick and choose.

This discimmination against students has to stop. The last three nights I have waited at the Belfield court stop with students coming from the library.

DB has either run a functioning service or stop running a willy nilly service that is dictated by the mood and whims of drivers.

I held DB drivers in high esteem until recent times, but since watching two highly charged interactions between drivers and a students who simply complained about the poor service and lack of information, got snapped at.

One driver said I am just paid to drive the bus, yeah well what about the people who pay to use the bus they pay you! They expect a regular normal service.

Customer service is poor and also these students that are studying late trying to better themselves deserve better than this piss poor attitude. UCD students and staff contribute a huge proportion of the fares to those routes on the dual carriageway they deserve a better service and a better attitude.

Union representatives advising these drivers on how to conduct themselves regarding UCD have a lot to answer for informing them that they are not to stop if there is a “gang” this gives the driver free licence to decide what constitutes a gang

DB advertise that there’s not a service or provide one

I work late every night and I have no alternative but to use to this service it’s been bad of late but now it’s definitely the pits. It reminds me of the DB days in the nineties when you had no expectations but now my expectations are even below those expectations back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

wurzlitzer wrote: »

But what happens if someone gets killed trying to flag down these buses by stepping out into the road which I witnessed last night.

It was student race day in Leopardstown yesterday, seen quite a few people in a bad state, also seen many private coaches hired to carry them.

If Someone is stupid enough to step onto the road to try stop a bus that's a sign for a driver the person is, intoxicated, holds no regard for other peoples safety and will be trouble.... don't stop.

The student union tried to kick up a fuss on social media,
    it got picked up by the regular media and the bus unions just kicked back. Just like idiots sending thoughts and prayers online instead of actually doing something. Student reps should be in contact with DB and trying to sort something out, not going online slinging mud.

Also, if everyone knows that buses won't stop at the flyover, let's just walk to the next stop..... well the next stop is clearly trouble too, skip it.

You are the collateral damage caught between two sides. Just like the thousands of good people in Tallaght and Ballybrack when some scrot throws a stone. unfortunately for you,

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

LastStop wrote: »

“If Someone is stupid enough to step onto the road to try stop a bus that's a sign for a driver the person is, intoxicated, holds no regard for other peoples safety and will be trouble.... don't stop.”

the person stepping onto the road was not a drunk but someone who out of frustration had stepped out to stop the bus skipping the stop

this is often seen whe drivers seem to be driving too fast towards a stop or appear to be driving past a stop

“The student union tried to kick up a fuss on social media,
    it got picked up by the regular media and the bus unions just kicked back. Just like idiots sending thoughts and prayers online instead of actually doing something. Student reps should be in contact with”

“Also, if everyone knows that buses won't stop at the flyover, let's just walk to the next stop..... well the next stop is clearly trouble too, skip it.”

I and many other people have already skipped two stops and we are at the third stop down the road from the flyover and what’s happening now DB drivers are skipping this stop and there are no revellers at it just students who know about the drivers skipping stops coming from the library trying to get home.

I have used DB for over twenty years and I have lived in disadvantaged areas I have seen anti social behaviour but when there’s no service due to this there has been information given to the bus users.

What I am seeing now is a backlash now from the drivers who are just pissing local residents off students studying for their exams and people who work in UCD getting punished because some drivers advised by their union think this protest would be effective revenge against UCD students

Those who caused the original trouble are probably unaware it was probably students on residence who don’t need to travel Monday to Friday for work and college they can roll out of bed to attend college.

so ordinary jo soaps get punished

But there is a discimmination here against decent students who are law abiding and the people who work and live in the area

So you say we are collateral damage what exactly does that mean?

does it mean we have to put up with bullying behaviour from DB drivers and their unions?

“You are the collateral damage caught between two sides. Just like the thousands of good people in Tallaght and Ballybrack when some scrot throws a stone. unfortunately for you,”

I have been on buses that have had stones thrown at them. On those bus routes I never seen drivers skip stops for months on end afterwards just because there were more than two people standing at a bus stop.

Skipping the stops on campus fine but skipping a third one down from the flyover is not on.

The other night a student who had been studying ended up not getting the bus all the way out to Ongar

that student complained to the driver about the lack of information. the bus driver never apologised just could not care less if the student was stranded

And leaving on time does not help either these students and locals are waiting for up to forty minutes for a bus on a bus dual carriageway this is not a terminus is the back of beyond

So if you work during the day you have no choice but to study in the library

DB are actively alienating a huge student population who members of the public and are potentially causing unnecessary friction that will reside there for a long time all I hear at stops now is how the attitude of the drivers suck.

I personally have lost respect for the drivers on these routes

For the record I am not a student but I feel impelled to speak out that this is clear discrimination against the student population

I myself am someone who simply wants to get home safely and in reasonable time and not an hour more than usual.

DB unions should try and come up with a solution and be the bigger union instead of rubbing customers up the wrong way by ill advising Drivers how to handle the situation and maybe they will gain back the respect they have lost

LastStop wrote: »
    It was student race day in Leopardstown yesterday, seen quite a few people in a bad state, also seen many private coaches hired to carry them.

If Someone is stupid enough to step onto the road to try stop a bus that's a sign for a driver the person is, intoxicated, holds no regard for other peoples safety and will be trouble.... don't stop.

The student union tried to kick up a fuss on social media,
    it got picked up by the regular media and the bus unions just kicked back. Just like idiots sending thoughts and prayers online instead of actually doing something. Student reps should be in contact with DB and trying to sort something out, not going online slinging mud.

Also, if everyone knows that buses won't stop at the flyover, let's just walk to the next stop..... well the next stop is clearly trouble too, skip it.

You are the collateral damage caught between two sides. Just like the thousands of good people in Tallaght and Ballybrack when some scrot throws a stone. unfortunately for you,

Ah....I was wondering what it was.

Student Race Day at Leopardstown,do you have any further information on the event,or the involvement of UCD itself in it ?

Sounds an interesting innovation in educational terms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if the poeple at the bus stop were intoxicated / reckless enough to be walking out into traffic then that would justify not stopping.

look you cannot accuse the drivers (the victims of bad behavior) of bullying. that is just blaming the victims.

The driver is responsible for the safety of himself/herself, the vehicle and the passengers on board. You can understand if there is a legitimate fear because if they did endanger the above by stopping they would be responsible.

does that suck for the well behaved majority. yes. is it inconvenient? yes.

the solution is for the perpetrators to be identified and sanctioned. Blaming the drivers, slagging them off on social media does not address the problem of antisocial behavior at that location.

if the poeple at the bus stop were intoxicated / reckless enough to be walking out into traffic then that would justify not stopping.

look you cannot accuse the drivers (the victims of bad behavior) of bullying. that is just blaming the victims.

The driver is responsible for the safety of himself/herself, the vehicle and the passengers on board. You can understand if there is a legitimate fear because if they did endanger the above by stopping they would be responsible.

does that suck for the well behaved majority. yes. is it inconvenient? yes.

The solution is for the perpetrators to be identified and sanctioned. Blaming the drivers, slagging them off on social media does not address the problem of antisocial behavior at that location.

Agree 100%.

This codology has been ongoing now for decades,however,where in times past it was totally Alcohol fuelled,in todays recreational environment there is a far wider range of stimulants in use.

Handling drunken youths could be said to be "easy",but from recent observations in and around Belfield,we are in the midst of a far greater problem.

However,as I say,given that the "Problem ?......what Problem ? approach has worked so well for Official Ireland,I cannot see any native Administrator (or Garda) being prepared to risk their career by calling out a youthful,well connected though stupid,young thug.

It will subside again in a couple of weeks,and everybody will forget about it.

• Advertisement

Only thing that will change this is policing and actual inspectors out doing their jobs.

Zero tolerance on anti social behaviour and get at it.

I'm sick of the abuse I've gotten while doing my job and doing it correctly too.

Advertisement