Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do not resuscitate orders

• 23-10-2020 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi

Apologies if in the wrong forum.

Just wondering whether anyone has had any experience with these - my particular question is when is the "right time" to put one in place for an old person who has diminished capacity?

How do you know where you are on the grey area?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If they have diminished in capacity, they probably can’t give official consent, legally . These discussions can only hold if a medical professional certify the older person is competent enough to do so .

• Registered Users Posts: 45 naraicjul

Thanks

I think that the doctor is the one who puts the DNR order in place after discussing with the next of kin/family (in this situation where the patient has diminished capacity). My question is really, as the next of kin, when is the right time to agree to put a DNR in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

The doctor will first assess if the patient has capacity and if they deem the patient to lack capacity they will discuss care planning with the next of kin. It's better to broach the subject with the medical team sooner rather than later before any possible deterioration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

If you know the person's wishes it is easier to make a decision.

Will further invasive treatment improve the quality of life or just the lifespan. Doctors will take that into consideration, but family members often insist on treatment, no matter what.

I have an advance medical directive in place which states I don't want measures taken to lengthen my life if there is no prospect of improvement. I don't want to be kept alive with no quality of life,

My family all know this and will respect my wishes.

It was drawn up by my solicitor but has no standing as a legal document but gives doctors an insight into the person's thoughts when they were lucid.

Think of the person and how they would feel. Don't be selfish in keeping them alive, using invasive treatment, if they won't make a meaningful recovery.

It is an onerous decision and I wish you the strength and understanding to make it. Discuss with doctors as soon as you feel able. Be kind to yourself and the patient.

Advertisement