Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Francis - 24th/25th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

12z ECM out in the next hour or so. MÉ more likely to take any naming decisions based on that and Harmonie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

On the contrary, ECM not convinced yet. But a slight upgrade on its part nonetheless.

I wouldn't like to be the one calling this one. I'd say they probably will, eventually, given all the recent rainfall, wind and the potential that the ground is sodden and trees will already be weakened as well as in full leaf.

The 146km/h mark can be discounted as it's 3,000ft in the air.
    Generally gusts struggling to 110km/h or to a mean of 65km/h over land.
    Rainfall 6h/24h also barely just almost at Orange levels. (45-50mm/24h - Orange would be 50mm/24h + )

962990566146ab051b76fe9678e15336.png
    b68e273d083ce57a87051baa6d2de3e5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Update

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster, Carlow, Kilkenny and Wexford

It will become very windy on Tuesday as strong southwest winds veer westerly with widespread mean speeds between 50 and 65km/h and gusts between 90 and 110km/h, higher in coastal areas.

Valid: 06:00 Tuesday 25/08/2020 to 19:00 Tuesday 25/08/2020

Issued: 20:19 Sunday 23/08/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Analysis at 18Z has it 1010 hPa at 44N 40W, slightly higher than forecast yesterday. Water vapour image for the same time. The low centre is located just north of that darkest green blob near the centre of the image.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082318_000.png

524024.png

UKMO Fax shows slightly stronger gradient winds along the west and south coasts. The centre will be travelling at around 40 kph so it will be a fairly quick period of maximum winds. Out at the current centre the total precipitable water is 50-55 mm, so plenty to generate those high rainfall totals, especially on southeast-facing upslopes, such as in Kerry, Cork and Wicklow.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082312_036.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082312_048.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM, UKMO and ARPEGE quite tightly grouped, GFS a small bit lower and deeper, ICON higher pressure by far and coming in the furthest S.

So ARPEGE probably a good representation of the first group, been fairly consistent also, HARMONIE coming into view and looks like the highest winds very much a coastal thing. Track similar to UKMO, down to 979 hPa just off the N Kerry coast at 07.00 Tues and 983 hPa at 13.00 as the center is over the East coast.

Marine warning might go Orange and this might cover coastal land areas.

Looks like a high end Yellow warning in the Munster region atm.

BBxBlT4.gif

bJRqEbo.gif

D9LOJE8.gif

anim_agm9.gif

anim_bve0.gif

arpegeuk-52-52-0_jvr4.png

arpegeuk-25-57-0_hvv2.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I think it could go to an Orange warning level for rainfall along the SW, S. Going by the ECM looks like they could get over 30 mm in 6 hours . UKMO similar

Was in Killarney today and the lakes are extremely high, even spilling into the car parks at Ross Castle.

zcEIfxc.gif

DQZAOg1.png

Qte5DzE.png

NzEjhPg.png

Met Office

Tues 01.00

OqQ4c3A.png

Tues 13.00

NLOl0oP.png

Weds 01.00

mzyFpHc.png

Warm moisture laden air mass. DP getting up around 15C

anim_zvw5.gif

anim_xnl8.gif

arpegeuk-18-40-0_gpw5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met Office

Tues 01.00

OqQ4c3A.png

This does not look to dissimilar to the pattern which brought some record-breaking rainfall totals to the SW back in August 1986. Syran spoke of this event just recently in fact.

New Moon

The EPS (mean of all the ECMWF runs) seems fairly certain now that we are all in for a fair dollop of rain by midnight Tuesday, with the SW in general bearing the brunt:

0gOdCwz.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

https://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2020082318/gfs-0-42.png?18
    Tonight's gfs is upgrading a nudge
    Orange territory now for wind South of the centre
    If that ain't a storm I dunno what is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Intense rainfall is expected at times Monday night and on Tuesday. Falls of 30 to 50 mm are expected with surface flooding.

This rainfall will further elevate river levels and may result in river flooding also.

Valid: 21:00 Monday 24/08/2020 to 21:00 Tuesday 25/08/2020

Issued: 06:41 Monday 24/08/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I certainly agree with everything posted about this event, but just wanted to add that readers in many parts of the country, in particular central Leinster, are going to experience a fairly prolonged interval of light winds due to the shape and trajectory of this low, as it tracks through counties from about Clare to Dublin/Meath, so please don't come on slagging forecasters about the absence of the predicted alert level winds, those are most likely to affect Munster and south Leinster and only late in the event will they start to blow in more moderate intensity across central counties in the wake of the departing storm.

Latest analysis has it 1002 hPa down 5 hPa iin 5 hkurs and looking like a plate of spaghetti.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082406_000.png

Latest forecasts, showing the positioning of the strongest gradients along the south.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082400_024.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082400_036.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2020082400_048.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Flooding rather than wind damage may be the main story here. Cork could be in for bad flooding again, Bray in Wicklow has flooded several times in recent memory too and may be vulnerable again tomorrow into Wednesday. Just two examples that spring to my mind when looking at those fax charts.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Named Francis by the UK Met now.

Supercell wrote: »
    Flooding rather than wind damage may be the main story here. Cork could be in for bad flooding again, Bray in Wicklow has flooded several times in recent memory too and may be vulnerable again tomorrow into Wednesday. Just two examples that spring to my mind when looking at those fax charts.

I agree, I think the potential mod to high rainfall totals in parts of the south will be the bigger story from this system.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Named Francis by the UK Met now.

Why do they pick such.... friendly names? Ellen! Francis! Gentle names.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Why do they pick such.... friendly names? Ellen! Francis! Gentle names.
    Maybe they should have chosen Frankenstein! :p

or after tropical diseases like Ebola.

Met Éireann's Harmonie has been very consistent since yesterday with its rainfall forecast. The big problem is going to be that training rainband lying across the centre of the country tomorrow afternoon and evening. Several hours of 5-10 mm/hr rainfall rates through the midlands and east.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1297786040464408576?s=20

• Advertisement

Dublin added to the warning

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster, Dublin, Wexford and Wicklow

Very windy or stormy conditions are expected on Tuesday as Storm Francis crosses Ireland. Southwest winds veering westerly, reaching mean speeds of 55 to 65km/h, will bring widespread severe gusts of 90 to 110km/h (and possibly higher in exposed areas). Some disruption is likely and possibly structural damage.

Valid: 06:00 Tuesday 25/08/2020 to 19:00 Tuesday 25/08/2020

Issued: 10:55 Monday 24/08/2020

Rainfall Warnings Updated

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Clare, Limerick and Tipperary

Intense rainfall associated with Storm Francis is expected at times Monday night and Tuesday, leading to accumulations of 30 to 50mm with surface flooding.

This rainfall will further elevate river levels and may result in river flooding also.

Valid: 21:00 Monday 24/08/2020 to 21:00 Tuesday 25/08/2020

Issued: 11:02 Monday 24/08/2020

Orange rainfall warning added

Status Orange - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Wexford, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Intense rainfall associated with Storm Francis is expected at times Monday night and Tuesday, leading to accumulations of 40 to 60mm (higher values in mountainous areas). The most intense rainfall is expected to ease off in southern counties during Tuesday morning. Some flash flooding likely.

Valid: 21:00 Monday 24/08/2020 to 17:00 Tuesday 25/08/2020

Issued: 11:00 Monday 24/08/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Yes GL i see a Yellow warning now for rain fall for much of the midland counties now. Do you believe the centre of the Low will stay the course predicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Showing my age here, quite a coincidence with the timing of this.

Back in 1986, August 25th coincidentally (ex) Hurricane Charley struck the country.
    Not saying this is going to be anything like that of course.

Image taken from Met E report at the time.

524093.PNG

Fax chart for tomorrow:

524094.PNG

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

I'll take what the Ecm is showing tomorrow morning

524095.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Supercell wrote: »
    Showing my age here, quite a coincidence with the timing of this.

Back in 1986, August 25th coincidentally (ex) Hurricane Charley struck the country.
    Not saying this is going to be anything like that of course.

Image taken from Met E report at the time.

524093.PNG

Fax chart for tomorrow:

524094.PNG

I was in a caravan in wicklow that week.
    Im on a mountain overlooking the Atlantic now:)

Will my chicken run be OK? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I was in a caravan in wicklow that week.
    Im on a mountain overlooking the Atlantic now:)

Will my chicken run be OK? :D

Can your chickens do the breast stroke?

I'm worried about my boundary stream (as the wife calls it) or ditch (as my neighbour calls it) flooding the lawn (as the wife calls it) or grass (as I call it)!

It is looking ominously full of rocks, stones and gravel since last week's deluge. I wish I had a digger to clear it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

How are percipitation rates measured for approaching storms?

Yes, I remember the flooding in Duleek from ex-Charly in 1986. Very similar type of system (Shapiro Keyser) and loads of water in it, though probably a lot more than Francis will have.

1985, 1986...great years for severe weather as a young lad growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Where is this going to land?

Advertisement