Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

paul71 wrote: »
    I do not know nor do I really care. I know that Gore and Clinton would have won based on the votes they got, but I suspect if the republicans had run Bush vs Gore offering a real policy on climate change Bush may have won the popular vote. If Trump had promised to protect Obama care and bring in gun control he would have got more Democrat votes.

Do you have an issue with political parties having policies that reflect the wishes of the electorate?

I don't know, nor do I really care. Trump is gone. He should be ready to pack his bags and clear out next month.

Gun control, ie take guns or restrict ownership to law abiding citizens while black gangs shoot each other in record numbers in cities such as Detroit or Chicago. Meh

If I was an American I would definitely keep a fireman in my hind cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭paul71

I don't know, nor do I really care. Trump is gone. He should be ready to pack his bags and clear out next month.

Gun control, ie take guns or restrict ownership to law abiding citizens while black gangs shoot each other in record numbers in cities such as Detroit or Chicago. Meh

NRA propaganda does not wash. There are societies in every country of the world with gun control, all of them are safer than America. Lack of gun control is the reason for violence in America not the containing factor.

Stating otherwise is a complete nonsensical lie bought and paid for by the NRA.

You also have teenagers going out with semi automatic rifles and shooting protesters. Or couples standing outside pointing guns at peaceful protesters. Or the Police giving bludgeoning elderly men at protests.... The US has a pretty unhealthy relationship with violence and Trump regularly used his office to egg it on.

Also worth pointing out that the spree shootings over the years have been with legally owned firearms. There's plenty of good reasons to improve their gun control situation.

NRA propaganda does not wash. There are societies in every country of the world with gun control, all of them are safer than America. Lack of gun control is the reason for violence in America not the containing factor.

Stating otherwise is a complete nonsensical lie bought and paid for by the NRA.

Il put it this way. (If we were American) if you can get all of the illegal guns off the streets and il then give up my legally obtained, safely and securely stored firearm.

Who is doing all of the shooting in these poor and violent neighbourhoods? Are they nra members? I don't think so

Il put it this way. (If we were American) if you can get all of the illegal guns off the streets and il then give up my legally obtained, safely and securely stored firearm.

Who is doing all of the shooting in these poor and violent neighbourhoods? Are they nra members? I don't think so

Actually they are, they are white supremacists and deranged lunatics' going into schools shooting up classrooms full of kids and they are been enabled by the NRA to do that in the name of profit. Americans know this and vote accordingly, instead of changing their position on Gun control and going after the popular vote the Republican party take NRA money and rely on Gerrymandering and voter suppression.

Black communities know this and vote to end gun culture in America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Without nra members then the nra can't advertise for guns, no guns sold combined with an amnesty on existing guns means vastly reduced gun deaths. Just look at what happened in Australia following the Port Arthur massacre

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

duploelabs wrote: »
    Without nra members then the nra can't advertise for guns, no guns sold combined with an amnesty on existing guns means vastly reduced gun deaths. Just look at what happened in Australia following the Port Arthur massacre

Or look at New Zealand or the UK after dunblane and hungerford. If nothing changes then you can’t really be surprised when the same thing keeps happening.

Actually they are, they are white supremacists and deranged lunatics' going into schools shooting up classrooms full of kids and they are been enabled by the NRA to do that in the name of profit. Americans know this and vote accordingly, instead of changing their position on Gun control and going after the popular vote the Republican party take NRA money and rely on Gerrymandering and voter suppression.
    Also whenever there's a spree shooting, it's actively used by the NRA to increase sales of guns. Through pushing of conspiracies etc. So basically appealing to groups who aren't necessarily the most sane or reasonable to arm themselves to the tooth even more.

Might be no harm to look at the actual statistics of shootings in the United states.

The reality is far from some of the opinions posted here.

Also look at who is actually doing the shooting and where. There is nothing worse than an un informed individual making claims.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Fair enough.

But yes traditional family values should be resigned to the dustbin of history. We are entering a bright new age and if recent events seen in America are anything to go by I'm excited for the future.

Traditional family values? What a waste of time.

Which family values from which tradition?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Might be no harm to look at the actual statistics of shootings in the United states.

Also look at who is actually doing the shooting and where. There is nothing worse than an un informed individual making claims.

Why don't you back them up with some facts rather than unsubstantiated waffle?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Fair enough.

But yes traditional family values should be resigned to the dustbin of history. We are entering a bright new age and if recent events seen in America are anything to go by I'm excited for the future.

Traditional family values? What a waste of time.

Can you please let us know which recent events have led to you personally being excited for the future.

Please be as specific as possible.
    • What events?
    • Why do you think they are exciting?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Detritus70

What statistics, this post itself is pure opinion, exactly like your Father Teduesque quote of gangland shootings, "it'll be like Boyz in the hood".
    I have seen no substantial argument other than alluding to some racial stereotypes based on 90's gangsta rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Go on then, you seem to know so much about it, produce these statistics......

No wrong. Look at the statistics of shootings in America and compare them to any other country.

Again, NRA propaganda does not wash, its a lie and it is undeniable.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Toeuptony

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/dec/06/rudy-giuliani-coronavirus-covid-donald-trump

Thoughts and prayers Rudy

Actually, maybe just thoughts (first reply.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

I’m inclined to think there is a God. But maybe that’s a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Out of curiosity, do you blame the fact people are poor or the fact they're violent or the fact they're black?

Genuinely want to know your opinion on this.

You seem up for a change of gun control laws?

I'd agree. Lots of places have people below the poverty line but 16k murders a year is nuts for a supposed first world country.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,609 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rudi has covid, no s h it sherlock, I knew that when he was sweating like a pig in a slaughter house. He must now be a huge super spreader.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rudi has covid, no s h it sherlock, I knew that when he was sweating like a pig in a slaughter house. He must now be a huge super spreader.
    No no no.

It's Donald Trump has said his lawyer Rudy Giuliani has tested positive for coronavirus.

Can we wait until it's from a reputable source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,609 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rudi has it a while , can't see him shaking it now, gone too far.

Midlife wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, do you blame the fact people are poor or the fact they're violent or the fact they're black?

Genuinely want to know your opinion on this.

You seem up for a change of gun control laws?

I'd agree. Lots of places have people below the poverty line but 16k murders a year is nuts for a supposed first world country.

Most are a product of their environment. Others are just violent thugs.
    The statistics by race show black people are way over represented in homicide crime rates.
    Mostly black on black crime too. A perpetual cycle of violence.

Gun control laws which restrict legal ownership solve little in the grand scheme. The vast vast majority of legal gun owners aren't an issue. Plus America is a huge diverse place. Laws for Chicago aren't necessarily beneficial for a small town in Kansas.
    There is a cultural problem in the United states.

Groups like Blm are focusing on the relatively tiny number of police shootings of black people (armed or not)but dont want to address black on black violece in communities. Only some black lives are important to them.
    So I won't be taking a knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So, because there are illegal gang and criminal shootings its ok to do nothing about police violence? There is no difference between a cop and a hoodlum?

Edit: I'm kind of embarrassed that I even need to make that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,833 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Toeuptony wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/dec/06/rudy-giuliani-coronavirus-covid-donald-trump

Thoughts and prayers Rudy

Actually, maybe just thoughts (first reply.....)

I dont wish ill on anyone but I dont think many would shed a tear tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ridiculous Rudi in hospital now according to CNN. Report noting that the track and trace will be a bit of a nightmare.

looksee wrote: »
    So, because there are illegal gang and criminal shootings its ok to do nothing about police violence? There is no difference between a cop and a hoodlum?

Edit: I'm kind of embarrassed that I even need to make that point.

Depends on the context of the shooting. Man lunges at police and is shot dead is much different than police shooting an unarmed man in the back. Both are reported as police shooting someone dead.

You do understand that?

A nationwide movement focusing on a tiny figure while ignoring the major cause of black people dying from gunshot wounds. As I said only some black lives matter to that group. There is a serious cultural problem in the United states.

In 2015 police had 53,500,000 encounters with the public. Of which less than 1000 people (all races) were killed by police . A percentage of 0.00186916

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Depends on the context of the shooting. Man lunges at police and is shot dead is much different than police kneeling on the back of a man who cant breathe.

Glad to see you are now making the point that some police behaviour is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

The statistics by race show black people are way over represented in homicide crime rates.

Gun control laws which restrict legal ownership solve little in the grand scheme. The vast vast majority of legal gun owners aren't an issue. Plus America is a huge diverse place. Laws for Chicago aren't necessarily beneficial for a small town in Kansas.
    There is a cultural problem in the United states.

Groups like Blm are focusing on the relatively tiny number of police shootings of black people (armed or not)but dont want to address black on black violece in communities. Only some black lives are important to them.
    So I won't be taking a knee.

Yeah, culturally they're really behind when it comes to giving a **** about things like murder and covid.

I'd always replace 'black' with 'poor'.

I think people do want to address black on black violence but most moves too combat systemic poverty or easy of acquisition of firearms don't go down to well in America.

Are you saying 'do nothing' though or 'bring in stricter gun control'??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

No no no.

It's Donald Trump has said his lawyer Rudy Giuliani has tested positive for coronavirus.

Can we wait until it's from a reputable source.

If he has it, the where-for is a must. His son was in hospital on the 21 Nov with what he self-described as a mild case of covid-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Detritus70

The "I'm not a racist, but..." argument, along with some evidence, backup and statistics. Not.
    Your factual arguments so far:

1:...

Do you just post stuff you're not really serious about anyway in order to get a reaction out of serious posters?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement