Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

May 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

So sorry to hear that mcbubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

How is everyone getting on? We had a bit of a scare last night, I had bad pains that became unbearable so went to A&E. After what seemed like an eternity I got to see a doctor. Baby is fine. I sobbed my heart out. Turns out its constipation and trapped wind. The pain was and still is horrible but will go away I'm told once it calms down. As long as baby is OK I don't really care about the pain. Hope everyone else is getting on OK. Delighted to now be in the second trimester.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

That's so scary Kathy, glad all is ok. Terrifying when you don't know whats going on.
    All well here, jumped up to 13w4d at the 12wk scan so 15 weeks now. Very relieved to be in the 2nd trimester, still sick and tired though. Starting to feel real now we've told people! Finally told work, waiting to see what they offer mat leave wise.

wuffly wrote: »
    That's so scary Kathy, glad all is ok. Terrifying when you don't know whats going on.
    All well here, jumped up to 13w4d at the 12wk scan so 15 weeks now. Very relieved to be in the 2nd trimester, still sick and tired though. Starting to feel real now we've told people! Finally told work, waiting to see what they offer mat leave wise.

Thanks Wuffly. I was so emotional when he had the baby on screen, I almost couldn't believe it and I cannot believe constipation can cause this level of pain. I still have it and really hoping it just sorts itself out. The staff in the Rotunda though were so nice, very understanding. I love telling people and seeing their reaction, I told my cousin over lunch and she cried which made me cry LOL! How is you skin doing? I still have dry skin but am using all kinds of potions and solutions to try and solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Kathy22 wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on? We had a bit of a scare last night, I had bad pains that became unbearable so went to A&E. After what seemed like an eternity I got to see a doctor. Baby is fine. I sobbed my heart out. Turns out its constipation and trapped wind. The pain was and still is horrible but will go away I'm told once it calms down. As long as baby is OK I don't really care about the pain. Hope everyone else is getting on OK. Delighted to now be in the second trimester.

Wow that's crazy A&E for constipation pain! I have had awful gastro-intestinal issues myself up til week 15 (so only out of the Woods now about 1 week) it was a loooooong 15 weeks of hell. The pain in my stomach kept me awake at night alot or I'd have a pain in my stomach at various stages of digestion during the day. The only reason I knew it was my stomach I think is coz I've been through labour (sans epidural) so I know what my womb hurting feels like as opposed to my stomach. I knew it was my stomach.

• Advertisement

Did you go to the GP over there about the morning sickness wuffly? I'm also outside Ireland and was surprised to learn that there was a tablet the GP was able to give me no bother. Just coz they don't give em in Ireland doesn't mean they aren't approved to do so in other countries. Defo worth checking with your local GP.

I'm suffering from broken sleep at the mo.....it's a real pain. I seem to be getting enough dribs and drabs to keep me going though and get through the day in work. I didn't think it was possible to toss & turn that much in one night though....if I was hooked up to a generator I definitey could have saved us something on our elec bill this month :-)
    Thinking of investing in the fancy dream genie pillow.....instead of relying on my 10 euro Lidl/Aldi one from last time.....although if anyone sees them on offer please notify us ASAP!!

Lucuma wrote: »
    Wow that's crazy A&E for constipation pain! I have had awful gastro-intestinal issues myself up til week 15 (so only out of the Woods now about 1 week) it was a loooooong 15 weeks of hell. The pain in my stomach kept me awake at night alot or I'd have a pain in my stomach at various stages of digestion during the day. The only reason I knew it was my stomach I think is coz I've been through labour (sans epidural) so I know what my womb hurting feels like as opposed to my stomach. I knew it was my stomach.

I know! The pain was enough to make me double over and I couldn't stand straight. I think I just thought the worst and would never have been able to ride it out. I am a constant worrier although I have a pretty high pain threshold but this was a horrible, like my insides wanted to come out. I think this might be something I have throughout the pregnancy, I just have a feeling so I am glad I know now what the pain feels like so I can ride it out the next time it happens. They gave me lactulose and now 3 doses later it is finally kicking in. Slight bit of relief. I think what you mention above is interesting, I definitely struggled to identify the pain area and just thought the worst because it was in that general area. Sorry to hear about gastro-intestinal issues, its such an uncomfortable thing to have! :( It will be all worth it in the end :)

They gave me lactulose and now 3 doses later it is finally kicking in. Slight bit of relief. I think what you mention above is interesting, I definitely struggled to identify the pain area and just thought the worst because it was in that general area. Sorry to hear about gastro-intestinal issues, its such an uncomfortable thing to have! :( It will be all worth it in the end :)

Oh good. I have a jumbo bottle of Duphalac at home since my last baby (for some reason vaginal labour also causes constipation for a few weeks afterwards not nice when you have stiches in the area!) and I took a few swigs alright there during the 1st trim. At least it tastes nice!

Speaking of being able to tell the area, I only learned that through experience....... Last time late in the 3rd trim I got food poisoning from something and had awful stomach cramps all night one night. It passed in 24 hours like these things do. Couldn't figure out what caused it but I suspect it was a runny friend egg (I know I was very bold...) Anyway the night of day 40+2 I went to bed then started getting the same kind of cramps, the food poisoning cramps, at midnight. I ay there thinking 'what the feck did I eat this time?'. This was going on an hour when I thought to myself ....I wonder if I should time these?! I downloaded an app for timing contractions there and then, and sure enough the ''food poisoning cramps'' were coming every 15 mins or so! I went on my ''Due in...'' FB group then in the middle of the night (thankfully one or two were online!) to ask if labour feels like a stomach cramp. My book said that a contraction begins at the top of your bump and travels all the way down, but these were only at the base of my bump, where your stomach is. Anyway one Mama replied within minutes to say her contractions were only at the base of her bump and another replied to say her contractions had felt like stomach cramps then it dawned on me hmmm this is labour! :eek::eek: I still didn't fully believe it til I had a show as well!

Kathy I hope you are feeling better soon. Sounds awful! So far the reaction is mostly completely shocked followed by a few tears. Especially from the guys that know about the miscarriages. My skin is still like a croc's ass but I think it is slowly getting better.
    Lucuma my GP is sailing around the Uk at the moment on her hols, lucky so and so! I've had so many dodgy dr experiences here I don't trust anyone else! I'm seeing my obs/gyn next week and will say it to her. I've never heard of those pillows just googled it, want one! Hope you get some proper rest soon. I love my sleep don't know how I'll cope with broke sleep once the little one arrives!
    Are you supposed to sleep on your side from now on?

Are you supposed to sleep on your side from now on?

Yes and on our left side if you don't mind!
    My app (so it must be true!!) said these are the best positions for sleeping:
    1. On our left side
    2. On our right side or tummy (as long as tummy is comfy)

On our back is bad coz the foetus is lying on one of the main arteries that brings blood up and down our body and could cause issues down the line. On our left is the best position for all the arteries etc. Right is ok but not as good as left. And re sleeping on tummy it said the foetus is protected inside its little bubble of amniotic fluid but it might not be comfy for the Mum for that much longer to sleep this way. Prob still comfy enough now though?!

• Advertisement

Yes and on our left side if you don't mind!
    My app (so it must be true!!) said these are the best positions for sleeping:
    1. On our left side
    2. On our right side or tummy (as long as tummy is comfy)

On our back is bad coz the foetus is lying on one of the main arteries that brings blood up and down our body and could cause issues down the line. On our left is the best position for all the arteries etc. Right is ok but not as good as left. And re sleeping on tummy it said the foetus is protected inside its little bubble of amniotic fluid but it might not be comfy for the Mum for that much longer to sleep this way. Prob still comfy enough now though?!

Aw man... I sleep on my back or my right side! My app hasn't mentioned it yet! lol Its something I heard years ago and have been meaning to check. Think i will be swapping sides of the bed as I like to face out!

Man I feel like I have so much to learn. I also sleep on my back although last night I slept on my left hugging a pillow and hot water bottle to ease the pain and I slept like a baby. Lucuma, I feel so sorry for you with the lack of sleep. I sleep better now than ever before. Although the horrible groggy tiredness is lifting, Wuffly I'm like you, have to face out of the bed! Glad to hear your skin is clearing a little, I'm using lots of that Mama Bee oil on my boobs and stomach, I have gone up 2 bra sizes already!!!!! Shocking the size of em ... LOL! Is anyone starting to show, I have a mini bump although only visible if i pointed it out.

Aw man... I sleep on my back or my right side! My app hasn't mentioned it yet! lol Its something I heard years ago and have been meaning to check. Think i will be swapping sides of the bed as I like to face out!

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x1047808/is-it-safe-to-sleep-on-my-back-now-that-im-pregnant

It's only if you lie on your back for a long time that the flow of blood to the placenta and your baby could be affected. You may feel faint or dizzy after you have been lying on your back for a while in later pregnancy.

You should defo start sleeping with pillows (preferably the wedge shaped one from Lidl/Aldi or any long bolster type pillow) between your knees (while lying on side) as pregnancy progresses. This really takes the pressure off your joints

Man I feel like I have so much to learn. I also sleep on my back although last night I slept on my left hugging a pillow and hot water bottle to ease the pain and I slept like a baby. Lucuma, I feel so sorry for you with the lack of sleep. I sleep better now than ever before. Although the horrible groggy tiredness is lifting, Wuffly I'm like you, have to face out of the bed! Glad to hear your skin is clearing a little, I'm using lots of that Mama Bee oil on my boobs and stomach, I have gone up 2 bra sizes already!!!!! Shocking the size of em ... LOL! Is anyone starting to show, I have a mini bump although only visible if i pointed it out.

watch the hot water bottle, not meant to have it next to the baby/bump.
    Thing is the experience of dealing with a newborn has redefined my idea of ''lack of sleep'' :D:D:D

When you've experienced what going 3 days and 3 nights with not 1 wink of sleep, not even for 5 mins is like.....it puts the expression ''lack of sleep'' into perspective. Therefore as long as I'm getting a few hours at all, even if broken, I consider myself to be doing ok.

I just noticed my boobs are filling out this week, hurrah! Hurrah for positive pregnancy symptoms, there are so few of them!

watch the hot water bottle, not meant to have it next to the baby/bump.
    Thing is the experience of dealing with a newborn has redefined my idea of ''lack of sleep'' :D:D:D

When you've experienced what going 3 days and 3 nights with not 1 wink of sleep, not even for 5 mins is like.....it puts the expression ''lack of sleep'' into perspective. Therefore as long as I'm getting a few hours at all, even if broken, I consider myself to be doing ok.

I just noticed my boobs are filling out this week, hurrah! Hurrah for positive pregnancy symptoms, there are so few of them!

Yes my husband scolded me for that. He is reading what to expect when your expecting. He likes to absorb information from books so Ill absorb it from him. What app are you using? My friend recommended the bump. I have signed up to the emails from babycentre.

On the boob thing, I just saw it as another thing that won't/doesn't fit me and I'm going to have to buy. I am hoping they stop there. I have heard people going up 3-4 bra sizes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Lucuma your stomach would be at the top of your bump :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Had my booking in appointment on Monday. Was in the hospital for 3 hours!
    Such a huge relief to see baba wriggling away on the ultrasound :)

teggers5 wrote: »
    Had my booking in appointment on Monday. Was in the hospital for 3 hours!
    Such a huge relief to see baba wriggling away on the ultrasound :)

Great news Teggers. A relief indeed and so exciting :D

Glad your scan went well teggers, such a relief!

I'm still the same size, although not able to suck in the gut anymore! lol! I had lost weight with the sickness but staying around the same at the minute... I dread shopping...!

I think I need to read something besides my app! Any book recommendations? Is 'what to expect...' a good one? I think the size of it puts me off! lol

Lucuma your stomach would be at the top of your bump :D

Excuse my crude language but how does the poo get out then, must be some bit of it at the bottom of the bump

• Advertisement

14 weeks today! And the fatigue is almost unbearable! Hoping it improves soon :(

Yes my husband scolded me for that. He is reading what to expect when your expecting. He likes to absorb information from books so Ill absorb it from him. What app are you using? My friend recommended the bump. I have signed up to the emails from babycentre.

That is fecking hilarious....your husband is reading it! I could do with a brick to throw at mine ''Oi pregnant lady over here in need of TLC''
    Whatever bit of sympathy & attention I got on no.1 has literally been halved now it's no.2

I'm using Glo Nurture app, purely coz I used babycentre and some other one last time so I said I'd try this for a change this time. It's really handy for knowing how many weeks & days you are at a glance in case you forget & someone asks

teggers congrats on scan ! It's such a relief isn't it! And makes it all real. Sorry to hear you're still knackered, I'm sure it'll improve now you're in the 2nd trimester it's just a matter of when.....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭cinloom

hi all, got my medical appointemnt yesterday with a quick scan, seen baby shaking his hand was so funny . I am 15 weeks now but still very tired . People said to me you are feeling better at the 2nd trimester but dont know when that feeling will come .

That is fecking hilarious....your husband is reading it! I could do with a brick to throw at mine ''Oi pregnant lady over here in need of TLC''
    Whatever bit of sympathy & attention I got on no.1 has literally been halved now it's no.2

I'm using Glo Nurture app, purely coz I used babycentre and some other one last time so I said I'd try this for a change this time. It's really handy for knowing how many weeks & days you are at a glance in case you forget & someone asks

Ha I read online more so than a book, I like looking and reading specific information and videos. Well went back to the doc today. Felt so sick and an aching back again last night plus a high temp. Turns out all my aches and pains are a kidney infection, feel rotten. Antibiotics and bed. God an infection feels so much more awful pregnant than not!!!

cinloom wrote: »
    hi all, got my medical appointemnt yesterday with a quick scan, seen baby shaking his hand was so funny . I am 15 weeks now but still very tired . People said to me you are feeling better at the 2nd trimester but dont know when that feeling will come .

congrats cincloom. Its amazing seeing the baby move! I was starting to feel the tiredness lift before I got sick. I can't wait to have more energy, bring it on!!!

cinloom wrote: »

I will come in the next few weeks, keep the faith!

Morning Ladies, Hope everyone is having a good week! The tiredness seems to be finally lifting sickness still hanging in there!

I've just started looking at travel systems more to get an idea than buy just yet. My friend is selling a bugaboo cameleon with all the bits, including the car seat (still has 3 years left in the life span). She's had the whole thing professionally cleaned as well, its less than half the price brand new. Does anyone have experience with them? Good/Bad?

Hi Wuffly, we've been looking at travel systems too and we both absolutely fell in love with the bugaboo. But there's no way in the world we could afford a new one so plan on looking to get it second hand in the new year hopefully. I've been looking at reviews online and nobody seems to have anything bad to say about it. It'd be nice to hear people's thoughts on here about it too.

• Advertisement

Thanks Teggers, wouldn't dream of buying it new, they look fab though! Wasn't even looking at them 2nd hand to be honest but I'm thinking this is reasonable and handy and one big thing out of the way.

Advertisement