Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

pigtown wrote: »
    Pretty impressive I must say, and the good thing about it is that new retail units are already there in the Milanos building. I can almost guarantee new cafes and restaurants will open there. Not saying they'll be successful mind but you never know.

Looking at the last picture in that link, is there a boadwalk planned for Shannon Bridge?

Indeed-the city council get alot of (justified) criticism but the improvement works on Thomas St, Bedford row etc have mad the city more pleasant.
    I'm not sure about a boardwalk for Shannon Bridge-maybe someone can shed light on that.
    I wish though the approaches into Limerick could be improved -the Galway side isn't too bad but if you come in from the Cork side it's not the most inspiring.
    Also the bus station should be cleaned up- a few new bus shelters, timetables, seating, resurface the road & maybe clean up the platforms where the buses park/load.
    I know money is tight but it's too much to ask to have a clean bus station.

It would be great to have a Limerick IFSC down by the docklands-there should be a concerted effort to get more fund admin jobs (similar to Northern Trust).
    The likes of Statestreet are in Kilkenny,IFS in Wexford so there's no reason why more of these jobs couldn't be here.
    Even a 100 or 200 job announcement would have a knock on effect for local businesses in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

sleepyman wrote: »
    Indeed-the city council get alot of (justified) criticism but the improvement works on Thomas St, Bedford row etc have mad the city more pleasant.
    I'm not sure about a boardwalk for Shannon Bridge-maybe someone can shed light on that.
    I wish though the approaches into Limerick could be improved -the Galway side isn't too bad but if you come in from the Cork side it's not the most inspiring.
    Also the bus station should be cleaned up- a few new bus shelters, timetables, seating, resurface the road & maybe clean up the platforms where the buses park/load.
    I know money is tight but it's too much to ask to have a clean bus station.

It would be great to have a Limerick IFSC down by the docklands-there should be a concerted effort to get more fund admin jobs (similar to Northern Trust).
    The likes of Statestreet are in Kilkenny,IFS in Wexford so there's no reason why more of these jobs couldn't be here.
    Even a 100 or 200 job announcement would have a knock on effect for local businesses in the city centre.

Maybe you haven't been to the station in a while but this area was renovated about 6 months ago.

Didn't know that Poxy-must admit I don't go to the bus/train station.
    Generally get a private bus or drive if I'm heading back to Limerick.
    Good to know though.
    Is it much of an improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

They must be already going ahead with that project by the river, saw fairly big construction works by poor mans kilkee yesterday..yes..on a sunday! so they must be wanting to get this finished asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

dave 27 wrote: »
    They must be already going ahead with that project by the river, saw fairly big construction works by poor mans kilkee yesterday..yes..on a sunday! so they must be wanting to get this finished asap!

Are they starting the work down at that end? Because there seems to be nothing going on at the Riverpoint end of the strand.....

• Advertisement

Yup, the whole of poor mans is completely unearthed, i suspect they wont be doing the riverpoint end until last, although that whole road was closed off when i was there yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

They must have gotten a deal on the spires UL put in a few years back. Looks exactly like the two outside the main gate to the campus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

saw a muppet of a guy trying to barge his way against the traffic down by the back of garda station yesterday. Although in fairness, I do think they could have better signage rather than just signs saying detour in place. To really the flashing sign on Shannon Bridge you have to drive fairly slowly to read the 4 screens of info. They should also put up big hoarding type signs with a view of what is planned, it looks very impressive on that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Maybe you haven't been to the station in a while but this area was renovated about 6 months ago.
    The station might have gotten a superficial cleaning, but the area it's in is still the biggest dump going. As a Limerician I'm embarrassed by our train/bus station and it's environs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭pigtown

The National Transport Authority are advertising for sponsors for regional bike schemes in Cork, Limerick, Galway, and Waterford. Companies can sponsor all cities or individual ones, and get branding rights, advertising on the bikes and on the stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

I pass by King John's most days and in the past week, L & M Keating Contractors have erected large hoardings and the castle appears to be shut.

I was aware that it was to undergo a major redevelopment but cant seem to find current detailed info anywhere. Anyone know if the planned proposals are available to the public for viewing etc?

Would anyone have any photographs of the work so far (I know it's only a week) around Poor Mans Kilkee/Milanos?

The new RTPI bus signs are working on Henry and William Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

The new RTPI bus signs are working on Henry and William Street.

There is also one working on the LIT bus stop just before the Garda Station on the Old Cratloe Road.

Report on the potential for a public bikes scheme published here; http://nationaltransport.ie/downloads/Technical-Report-and-Potential-for-Limerick.pdf It includes a map on possible station locations in the city.

anyone know anthing about the construction work going on in the petrol station by the station?

dave 27 wrote: »
    anyone know anthing about the construction work going on in the petrol station by the station?

Think they might be just using it as a yard to store things for the construction work behind it.

Did anyone else see the 'Regeneration Voice' supplement with the Leader? There is an interview with Tom Enright, Director of Economic Development and Planning in Limerick, in which he reveals that up to three sites are being considered for a city centre plaza and an announcement will be made early in the new year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

pigtown wrote: »
    Did anyone else see the 'Regeneration Voice' supplement with the Leader? There is an interview with Tom Enright, Director of Economic Development and Planning in Limerick, in which he reveals that up to three sites are being considered for a city centre plaza and an announcement will be made early in the new year.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I read the weekend edition of the Leader. :o I'll look out for the article though. Sounds like an attractive idea, wherever they end up putting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I genuinely can't remember the last time I read the weekend edition of the Leader. :o I'll look out for the article though. Sounds like an attractive idea, wherever they end up putting it.

I can't help but think that the amalgamation with the county is a very good thing (although County Clare or part of it at least should have been included in the amalgamation but Phil Hogan was too cowardly to make the right decision). Enright is very highly regarded and he only comes to the role because the two authorities are in the process of being combined. It'll lead to much more joined up thinking, and a general higher calibre of executive staff, and projects such as the one mooted above may actually come to pass.

• Advertisement

Looks as if the council have a few things in the pipeline.

Seven sites identified for revamp in Limerick city

By Nick Rabbitts
    Published on 26/03/2013 13:00

SEVEN key sites in the city are due for a massive facelift as part of multi-million euro plans to transform Limerick.

In ambitious proposals due to be released in the next month, Limerick City and County Council will also outline plans to increase the urban population by 1,000 people by retrofitting Georgian buildings to make family living possible in them.

Environment Minister Phil Hogan will be in Limerick next month to officially launch the GVA Economic Plan, hailed as the most ambitious redevelopment plan in Limerick’s recent history.

But councillors have already been given an outline of what is in the proposals, and the Limerick Chronicle has established some of the key points in the 15 year plan.

In a bid to entice people into Limerick’s ailing city centre, seven sites have been identified for renewal.

These are the Opera Centre area, the railway station area, Arthur’s Quay, the O’Connell Monument area, Cruises Street, the Potato Market site, and the riverside.

Much of the regeneration plan will be focused on the Opera Centre site, which has lain vacant for more than five years, with the Limerick Institute of Technology to open a fashion hub in two units, and UL eyeing up other parts of the site.

But there are also exciting plans for other parts of the city.

A city square is being planned for the area around the O’Connell Monument at the Crescent.

Meanwhile, in an attempt to improve the perception for tourists arriving into Colbert station, the council is in negotiations with Irish Rail to relocate the car park away from the interchange, and build a raised public plaza there with street furniture, and lighting.

This in turn will lead to a revamp of Davis Street.

Once one of the city’s busiest shopping streets, a renewed focus is to be put on bringing shoppers back to Cruises Street.

This could see the units of some of the closed shops amalgamated, and tax incentives put in place to bring in bigger retailers.

The plan will also put a strong focus on the riverside area, with a pedestrianised area stretching from King John’s Castle to Arthur’s Quay.

With government approval, this could also see the demolition and relocation of Sarsfield House, home to hundreds of public sector workers, although it is thought this is at a very early stage.

The vacant Dunnes Stores in Sarsfield Street will, subject to funding, be home to a museum or library.

Roadworks are already taking place in Howley’s Quay in order to build public walkways.

The successful boardwalk installed on Clancy Strand will be the inspiration for a similar facility on the southside, which could connect as far as Shannon Bridge.

At least some of the redevelopment of the city - planned to take place over 15 years - will be facilitated by a loan from Europe known as the JESSICA fund.

This stands for Joint European Support for Sustainable Investment in City Areas. Available from the European Investment Bank, it makes capital available for certain types of projects which would have economic return, such as office developments, retail developments, public works, pedestrianised schemes, and enterprise parks.

It has never before been used here, but the British government has taken advantage of the fund, which can be worth up to €200m.

It is attractive to city management, because as the money comes back into the fund from businesses paying it back, it can then be redeployed to other projects, before a final payment is due.

Also, any date set for the completion of the Quays?
    Great work going on in certain parts at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I thought they were supposed to have started re modelling work on O'Connell street back in January..the street badly needs improving. They were initially going to pedestrianise the street from William street junction to Roches street junction. However I don't think it's a good idea to close off the street to traffic as the constant flow of cars up the street gives the place a buzz. Maybe the introduction of speed bumps would go well with increasing the width of the footpaths to make the street more pedestrian friendly. The street really needs loads of trees on both sides as I believe it would really be effective due to the street being so straight and long which would result in an avenue feel instead of a bare and boring long straight street. Surely the implementation of trees wouldn't be a hard or costly thing to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

You can only have a vibrant city if people have money to spend in it. There isn't much of that in peoples pockets these days.

juneg wrote: »
    You can only have a vibrant city if people have money to spend in it. There isn't much of that in peoples pockets these days.

Not necessarily.

I think it's more down to footfall. People can go for walks, visit the park, grab a coffee.
    More people that choose town over the likes of the Crescent or Childer Road will help the vibrancy.
    Town at Christmas is amazing.
    Spending or no spending.

Is that going to be totally pedestrianized? If so why?

juneg wrote: »
    Is that going to be totally pedestrianized? If so why?

From the pictures it looks as if it will be pedrestrianised outside Clohessy's.

I don't know how that will work though, what with Dunnes and their big delivery trucks.

I can't see an artic being able to take a right from Lower Shannon Street and up by Bedford Row. It's way too tight.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

From the pictures it looks as if it will be pedrestrianised outside Clohessy's.

I don't know how that will work though, what with Dunnes and their big delivery trucks.

I can't see an artic being able to take a right from Lower Shannon Street and up by Bedford Row. It's way too tight.

They might set it up the way they have Bedford Row, with barriers that can be lowered and raised again to facilitate deliveries during off-peak hours. Wait and see, I suppose.

driving out to corbally since that road closed has become a right PITA

• Advertisement

Some info on what the redeveloped Castle will be like.
    http://www.discoverireland.ie/Arts-Culture-Heritage/king-john-s-castle/12416
    It's due to open in the summer.

Public bikes scheme due to be in place by the new year.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/local-business/public-bike-scheme-to-be-wheeled-out-in-limerick-1-4967405
    It's not finalised yet but here is a proposal of what it could look like
    http://nationaltransport.ie/downloads/Technical-Report-and-Potential-for-Limerick.pdf

Advertisement