Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website ready, now what?

• 23-10-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Finally have website up and running, have been on FB for a couple of months now.
    Website and domain host include free google ads and fb ads (not sure of the best way/time to use these?),
    Have entered the tag words etc but am unsure what else to do to get the website 'out-there'.

advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Finally have website up and running, have been on FB for a couple of months now.
    Website and domain host include free google ads and fb ads (not sure of the best way/time to use these?),
    Have entered the tag words etc but am unsure what else to do to get the website 'out-there'.

advice appreciated.

Very very vague...you'll have to give more detail in fairness.

Business? Target market? Target demographic? Location?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 gg1

Do you mind me asking who you are hosting the website and domain with to get free FB and google ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Hi Guys, I'll be more specific (if its allowed?).
    My business is selling Personalised prints for babies and young children.
    We have drawn pictures by hand, used Adobe Illustrator to make them into editable templates.
    Customers provide us with Name, date & time of birth, birth weight , parents/siblings initials and apersonal message.We put them on the template of their choice, Print it ,frame it ,box it and gift wrap it.

We operate from our house and are based near Tullamore.
    Our target market is mainly women (Mothers, aunties, grannies, god-parents) who would usually buy presents for new babies, christenings, christmas, birthdays etc.

Our sports pictures are geared at older children,so possibly fathers and uncles may come into our target market for these.

PowWeb.com host our domain and Wix.com host the website. (its a bit messy but will suffice for the time being)
    We Upgraded to the premier package with Wix for about $8 per month.

We are using FB since august to generate some intrest but it is a word of mouth business (apparently they look way better in reality than on posters or in photos). We have emailed and texted all our friends/colleagues re the website and as per original query, we are wondering when is the best time to use the google and fb ads which are free (well, included in our packages)

Thanks for your interest and I would appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 zxr500man

nice job!

I'm at a similar stage as yourself, I have recently got a FB page and website up and running. I have tried FB ads and have got quite a few clicks but this hasn't resulted in any ticket sales yet (I am organising Dinner Parties, Wine Tasting etc for single people).
    Have you installed Google Analytics on your website? Also are you able to tell us what the website or facebook page is as I really like the sound of your product and it is something I could suggest to my FB friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

www.prints4gifts.com is the website (free template, so not 100% as we would like but the upgrade helped make it a bit more professional looking)

www.facebook.com/prints4gifts is the fb page. Getting alot of notice and some good customer reviews. The store is bringing in some orders too and its a free APP from vendorshop.

Have set up Google analytics at the weekend, but have yet to look into all the options etc.

Interesting idea of yours , hope it succeeds.

Like your website. I've just sent you a PM to your gmail account.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Nice business idea, all the best with it. Great to see people starting up with new ventures given the times!

I know you've mentioned the site isn't ideal - but if you do want to be taken seriously you need a proper, well-designed site and to invest in a good one. Also, using a gmail/free email address for a business can look pretty amateurish, so same goes re being taken seriously.

Looking at your Facebook page it seems you're flying it - I can see how it's a word of mouth business. Have you considered using Twitter?

With Facebook ads you can target really specific demographics - right down to particular towns and cities. So think about who you really want to target - best bet starting off is to check out the Facebook ads interface to see what I'm talking about, you'll have a better idea then - test your ads and refine as needed.

With Google AdWords, looks like you'll have a fair bit of competition, but there are plenty of tactics you can use - depending in part on how much you have to spend. Most important is keeping your ads really relevant and targeting as tightly as possible.

All about getting your name out there - have you thought about/already looked at the following:

-Partnering/advertising with baby gift shops/personalised gifts stores - in both online and offline terms - to get exposure.

-Looking to get featured as a new business in your area - print (maybe a piece in the local paper), or a local radio slot, etc. Lots of options there.

EDIT: As regards timing for advertising on Google and Facebook - think about peak search volumes for your key terms and time accordingly - use Google Trends/Insights for Search for this. Obviously the run up to Christmas would be good, but also around Christening etc (think May is a big month for these?). Get using the Google tools anyway. Analytics will also tell you lots, potentially, about how people are finding you and interacting with your site. Again though, a free site limits you in terms of getting found naturally on Google.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Hi Kent,

So you've heard whats good about the site, so if its ok, I'll play devils advocate and just jump to where your going wrong. Please take it in the constructive way its meant.

1. Domain is bad. Personally i'd change the domain as its still pr 0, but at the very least you need to register www.printsforgifts.com you can't assume everyone will remember the 4 is a number. You should be running it on a .ie

2. Hosting - Your hosting in the US. Big no no. you need to host in ireland to make load times faster and let Google know your based here.

3. Location, at a glance, no-one know where you are. Are you in the USA, Australia etc. People wont hang around to find out. So let them know in less than half a second.

4. Simplify the site, too many colours fonts, messages. Get the point across simply. Personalized Art For Babies. Replace all the "we"'s with keyword rich content and benefits to the consumer. Talk about them not you.

Hope that helps

Advertisement