Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

source wrote: »
    Was in Marco Polo last night, and was pleasantly surprised.

I usually try to avoid places with pictures of the food on the menu, It gives off a cheap, greasy, by the beach in the holidayland vibe.

I had the spicy chicken pizza, proper thin base, nice heat off the pizza and really tasty, the missus had a trio of fish and she said it was some of the nicest fish she's had out in a long time, the house wine was nice, and the price was really really reasonable.

The place has been done up nice, much better lay out than when it was Luigi Malones. It didn't feel as open and impersonal, and the noise level was a hell of a lot lower, even with the table of 20 odd women sitting no more than 20 ft away from us.

All in all a very happy experience.

Hey, yes, I now realise why I was never comfortable with Luigi Malone's - it was so impersonal. I thought the food was OK (I think someone else here disagreed), but I was never really able to put my finger on why I never really enjoyed my meals there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I see Bambu has finally dropped its illfated Italian menu and is now a Thai/Indian restaurant.

Anyone tried out the Indian offering? Any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Always liked The Bambu - now it's perfect !!!! Had the Vindaloo ( was asked if I'd had it before as it may be hot ... :) ) - it was delicious. Very hot but not mental - yummy, and lots of potato ....

Gonna get something else there tonight on the way home after work ... the menu is HUGE now ...

Always liked The Bambu - now it's perfect !!!! Had the Vindaloo ( was asked if I'd had it before as it may be hot ... :) ) - it was delicious. Very hot but not mental - yummy, and lots of potato ....

Gonna get something else there tonight on the way home after work ... the menu is HUGE now ...

Good work. Keep me posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone know if the Tanjore Palace has closed down??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Was in Chocolat with the wife and kids over the weekend and thought it was excellent value. We got the early bird menu - starter, main and tea/coffee for €17.50 each and the kids eat free!
    Food was nice, nothing fantastic but well worth what we paid.
    We ate upstairs and the waitress that served us was excellent, very friendly and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is the Mogul Emperor the nicest Indian Restaurant in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Is the Mogul Emperor the nicest Indian Restaurant in town?

Got a takeaway from there recently and it was very tasty, one of the best Indians I have had in awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Got a take a way from Remix Chinese & Indian in Castletroy last week, it was so good I got it again the other day and it great again. Not bad on there prices I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Hi All can anyone recommend a good vegan/vegetarian restaurant/cafe in or near Limerick city, (breakfast,lunch or dinner) my doctor put me on a whole food plant based diet which is basically vegan, I'm going to Limerick Thursday to Saturday I searched on Google but it's years old
    any help greatly appreciated
    Dlb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

Hi All can anyone recommend a good vegan/vegetarian restaurant/cafe in or near Limerick city, (breakfast,lunch or dinner) my doctor put me on a whole food plant based diet which is basically vegan, I'm going to Limerick Thursday to Saturday I searched on Google but it's years old
    Dlb

I don't think there is one, but pretty much every restaurant will have vegetarian dishes on their menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Dlb

I think there is a small cafe on Cecil street next to the pet shop that is vegan/vegtarian, can't remember the name of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Thanks for the replies
    we are home again now, had a really good time, lovely grub and pints in The Bailey stayed in The George can't fault it I rang ahead to tell the chef I was coming and had a lovely dinner
    Thanks again
    Dlb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

Delish

Went out to Delish on Saturday with the wife, we were out that side of town and were hungry, had eaten there before and thought it would be nice, boy were we wrong.

They have a new menu, it's not good at all. It's complicated and huge, two things a good menu shouldn't be.

I had a burger which was supposed to have a spicy relish on it, the burger was dry, and flavourless, and I could barely taste the relish on the burger, and it was far from spicy. (€10.50)

My wife had a pasta dish with chicken, it came out and looked like it should have been a children's portion. So we called the waitress over (fantastic waitress, she was not happy at all with the new menu) and gave out about it, sent it back saying that we wouldn't be paying the €10 odd, they had the cheek to charge for it. It came back a few minutes later, twice the size (a proper portion of pasta), she started eating it and quickly realised that the chicken was precooked and reheated!!!! It wasn't even freshly cooked. It was disgraceful.

The worst part about it was, we went to pay, the guy said the usual, "Was everything okay?" We relayed our experience, he said "Oh that's terrible, very sorry about that, that'll be €25". :eek::eek::eek: We just told this guy we had a terrible experience (left more than half our meals) and he didn't even have the cop on to comp/discount our meals. :mad:

I used to like the place, but will not be going back after that experience.

Tried the new Bambu twice recently.

Must say, it's fantastic. Better than it was before the horrendous Italian experiement.

€10 for starter, main course and drink at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Not sure if someone has mentioned it already but regarding the restaurants on page 1, the country kitchen has been closed down for a while now.

I also would like to add that I've been to wok upstairs in arthurs quay many times and I thought the food was delicious. Ok it's more expensive than wokking but I've found the quality of wokking has declined dramatically in the last two years or so to the point that I barely recognise it as the place I used to go to ritualistically when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

2 lunches (chicken goujons and mash, and enchiladas with chips ), 2 cocktails, 1 desert, all for only 34 euro in Texas Steakout. Must say, it was fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

Will be heading to limerick for 3 days midweek in July with my wife and 4 kids.Wondering if there are any Chinese restaurants doing the all you can eat buffet.Or any other recommendations for Reasonably prices restaurants that are good with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the Jasmin Palace on O'Connell Street run a buffet but it's only on Sunday afaik.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Peony Court do a lunch buffet all week, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Had dinner last night with my partner in the Red Onion on the top of O'Connell street. We had tickets booked for a show in the belltable at 8 and I wanted t book somewhere near. I had only heard bad reviews of the red onion to be honest but said we would give it a go.

We were both quite pleasantly suprised, everything from booking a table(45 mins prior) to the end of the meal was excellent. It did not feel like a basement, service was friendly and efficient, and the food was great with a slight twist on the way most places do things. Beleive me there was no ready made crap from Pallas foods served here(IMO). Would recommend it to others which says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Red Onion is a great spot. Yer man who runs it is a class act, makes you feel very welcome and has a lovely manner about him. Knows his wine too.

New or recently opened restaurants seemed to get a bad name from the off on here.

Marco Polos was torn to shreds but I've eaten there three times in the last three months and couldn't fault it (they had the nicest duck I've had outside of the south of France) and it's been very busy in there each time, I'd say they're doing well for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭djdunny

OK the past few days i've been overcome with a craving for chicken wings but not just any old chicken wings. If any one has had the ones in the Hamptons they know the ones i'm talking about. A kind of sweet and spicy sauce yet the wings are a little crispy. Anyway my question is does anyone know anywhere in limerick that do similar wings but to take away??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

djdunny wrote: »
    OK the past few days i've been overcome with a craving for chicken wings but not just any old chicken wings. If any one has had the ones in the Hamptons they know the ones i'm talking about. A kind of sweet and spicy sauce yet the wings are a little crispy. Anyway my question is does anyone know anywhere in limerick that do similar wings but to take away??

Never had them from there. I know this might sound mad but Lidl wings are very good and also has a sweet & spicy taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Take a trip to Cork and go to Hillbillys

Mc Love wrote: »

I know hillbillys all too well and they don't do the kind of wings in looking for. I may be wrong. Also hillbillys is in Ennis so don't need to go as far as cork for a breast in a bun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

djdunny wrote: »

I know hillbillys all too well and they don't do the kind of wings in looking for. I may be wrong. Also hillbillys is in Ennis so don't need to go as far as cork for a breast in a bun :)
    What? There's a hillbillies in ennis

What? There's a hillbillies in ennis

Yup on O'Connell st I think. Just up the road from Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hitsugaya252

"Dining Room"
    In Glen Tarven, Between Henry Street and O'Connell..
    Buffet= 8.95 dinner, 6.95 lunch,
    3 Course Meal= 8.95 too (between 12-7)
    Table= Excellent Service and food!!

And the waiter there is simply awesome ;)

Take Away as well as Free Delivery :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Boruma

Skintwin wrote: »
    Cafe Noir on Robert Street is brilliant. They do lunch...mostly soup and sandwiches, but they do things like quiche and bruschetta too. They're open late on Friday and Saturday (until 12) and they operate as a tapas and wine place. And the cofee's great too :D

I had lunch here too..and it was the nicest salad I have ever had everything in it for 7e chicken salmon feta cheese.. and sauces of your choice definitely will be lunching again.:D

Advertisement