Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

• 07-03-2009 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭

We seem to get a "what restaurant will I go to?" thread once every couple of weeks. The same restaurants get mentioned, and the same moaners chime in with their boring "use the search" comments.

This thread has been contributed to by many restaurant-goers and takeaway addicts in Limerick, and will hopefully help out anyone who is looking for somewhere nice to eat.

There are 3 posts below - one for restaurants, one for takeaways, and one for links.

If you have more to add, just add a new post to the end and I'll merge it with the existing list.

Thanks to the following people for their contributions so far:

1huge1, Aidric, alaskimo-cake, alexiadexia, amazotheamazing, AnCapaillMor, An File, aoife2k, Ashfield, Azphyxi8, bagmagnet, bazz26, bigkev49, big toenails, boodlesdoodles, btwndeyes, Burning Eclipse, CheltenhamJ, cooperguy, cutie pie, bluedolphin, dobh, earleuginedoyle, elmolesto, Eyeofbuddha, foinse, h3000, hairfreak07, Henry Ford III, hinault, ilovecars, irish wolf, jackncoke, jambo221, jessica, jjg, joeface, keane2097, leshogan, limerick91, limericklady87, limerickros, limericksox, littlemis, lg123, maryk123, Mc Love, melion, Millie, msmuffins, munstergal84, Narsil, Neon-Circles, OwenM, Pacifico, parchment, patsystone, phog, Poxyshamrock, puddin123, puglover, puntosporting, pushtrak, pwd, questioner, quirke folder, RikD, Roisinbunny, RonMexico, SarahBeep!, ScholesyIsGod, sera, sf78, shanga, sioda, Southhill, sparkysrovers, stupidusername, Superwoody101, tfitzgerald, tishandy, thebhoy, The Fool, TheLoc, tippman1, tomcollins97, wetbench4, zuroph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Restaurants
    (See next post down for takeaways)

List as of 21st May 2011.

Absolute Hotel
    * The Absolute Hotel is doing a lunch special - all items on their lunch time menu cost €5.00. Today the menu had a selection like soup and sandwich, seafood chowder, stirfry, breast fo chicken on colcannon, fish and chips, etc. Dont think you'll get better value.

Azur
    * European food, mid to high price, good value early bird.
    * Went to Azur on Friday night and I have to say the best meal I have had in ages. Early bird 30EUR and we all cleared the plates. Will definitely be back. ** NEW **
    * Azur is very nice. I'm following most restaurants on Facebook right now so I'm always seeing the offers in advance. Azur really made the best use of that space, coming from what they had previously, they were always going to have to try harder. ** NEW **
    - Been to Azur for my cmas party. The food was amazing but the service is very poor and portions are too small and for those reasons, I would have to think twice about going back there. ** NEW **
    * Just throwing my two cents in about Azur- went last night with two friends. It was fairly busy, which I imagine many other places weren't on the first Sunday night out of Christmas. Had the option of an early bird menu of three courses for €21.95 or three from the a la carte for €30. We decided that seeing we don't get out often (ha), we'd go with the a la carte although the early bird was very good value too. The staff were perfectly pleasant, if a bit scattered, but the waitress in charge picked up on this towards the end and knocked a wee bit off our bill in apology, which was very fair. Our food was delicious, I'll definitely be going back and my friends wholeheartedly agree. ** NEW **
    * Had dinner in Azure last night, I must say i am loving the new setting (haven't been since O'Connell street) and the food was amazing. Had the setting and food of a 5* restaurant but with the friendliness and warmth of a local bar and restaurant style place. Highly recommend it guys. ** NEW **

The Bailey
    * We had lunch in The Bailey on Sunday, the food and service was excellent. 2 beers, 2 coffees, 4 main courses for €60. Good comments on all the main courses, sea bass, plaice, burger and lasagne. Will certainly go back again.
    - Visited the Bailey on Bank Holiday Sunday evening. After being served two cloudy tangy pints of Bulmers I moved onto bottles. It astounds me that barmen serve dodgy pints early in the evening when people are not drunk and will notice. For this reason I would not be very trusting of the food.
    * Was there last night excellent food and very reasonable,There must of been some function on with Miss Limerick & Mr Ireland and the atmospheres was good. We were even giving a drink by the host lovely and friendly person. I can see the bailey doing very well in Limerick.. 3 Course €17.50 Amazing

Bambu Location: O'Connell Street, above The Texas Steakout
    * Medium priced Thai Food.
    * Excellent meals, have eaten there easily 20 times since it opened, never disappointed. Great friendly staff also.
    * Early bird from 5-7, 3 course for €16.95 is amazing value
    - I would only recommend this place as a last resort, when i went there last year, the food was barely cooked and its fairly bad service. Unless its improved since.
    * have to say, don't agree with that comment on bambu being a last resort, have taken my girlfriend there many times, never had a bad meal either.

Bella Italia
    - The last time I was there we were treated very badly. The staff were quite rude and dismissive in general. We got desert at the end (cake) which was stale which the insisted on us paying for. My gf and her friends went back after that and received very similar treatment. They had a table booked and were seated. They were left waiting for over 45 mins and still had not received any food. One of the girls called over a waitress and asked could they at least some drinks to which the waitress barked "I'm busy". The girls then got up and left, they went to another restaurant in town and spent their money there. This all happened about two years ago but we were treated so badly I will never step foot in there again. I wouldn't mind but I love Italian food ***NEW***
    - Have to agree - i have had nothing but bad experiences with Bella Italia. The waitresses are lovely but really under pressure. The last time i went back to give it another shot there was a huge mess up with my boyfriends order (they sent him TWO main courses!?!) and the kitchen blamed the waitress - who personally knows my boyfriend and there was no way she would have got the order wrong as he always orders the same thing.There was a huge fuss made and even after complaining they insisted we pay. I will never go back there. Its hugely overpriced and full of screaming kids - i dont know how they justify their prices in the current economic climate. ***NEW***
    * Bella Italia has really upped its game in the last few months. I was there at the start of 2010 and it was not possible to get a glass of wine. I ranted about this on an earlier thread!!! The only option was a 1/4 bottle of wine that is usually muck!! They now serve glasses of red and white wine. The service was also terrible the previous time I was there. This also has been improved. There seems to be a new manager there that has improved things bigtime. ***NEW***

Brasserie One
    * had the early bird 20 for 2 courses had the soup and excellent beef for main other half had roasted cod and choclate tart for desert. Huge wine list many by the glass and very nice bar for pre and post dinner drinks. all in all a great spot and look forward to going back. only down point small side portions at 3.50 a pop

Brullees *NOW CLOSED (Relocating?)*
    * Nice menu and good value, mid to high price.
    * nice food but small portions. good french cuisine but extremely expensive. Lovely staff.

Brunch
    - The food was really nicely cooked, and good quality.
    - Went in to this place for lunch today. I'm hard to impress with food but both of our meals were gorgeous. The food was really nicely cooked, and good quality. I got chicken tenders with chips and salad, the chicken was so soft it was great, and the chips although a little over done were real potatoes and tasty. The salad was also nice and fresh. We both got a meal deal, which came with chips and salad and drink, for 7.95 each. We were both very impressed with the quality of the food, and left quite full. We'll definitely be going back for a breakfast some time, as it happens to be very close to wear I live and all! ***NEW***

Bruschetta Bar
    Closed.

Cafe on the Row
    * Quick and tasty food. Mainly day time trade. Good for a post-night-out breakfast. Nice hot sandwiches, fresh pizzas, potato wedges, chips etc. Good coffee too.

Chocolat
    * coffee shop on the ground floor and fine dining restaurant downstairs. very good food and reasonable prices.
    * I was there over Christmas and we had a brilliant time, the menu has something for everyone and very well priced
    * I was in Chocolat about a week ago for the early bird, which is served from 5-7pm and includes a starter and main from the regular menu plus tea/coffee, but desserts are only €3 so you can treat yourself if you like and still keep it under twenty! After 7, they serve a 3-course meal (starter/main/dessert) for €19.50. These are mid-week offers, afaik. The selection is good, the portions are the right size, the service was just right and the value for money excellent. The food was tasty and well-cooked. And judging by the fact that we had to wait about 10 minutes on a Wednesday evening just to be seated, we clearly aren't the only people to think so! It's a nice menu and I'll definitely be returning to sample more of it.
    - I found the portion size very, very small
    * I found their selection and portion size to be good. I'd highly recommend it for value at the moment.
    * Was in here for lunch (the upstairs part) on Sunday. Three meals (two beef burgers, one BBQ ribs) came to less than 25 quid. The food was delicious and the portions were massive. Absolutely delighted with the value for money. ** NEW **

Cibo - closed
    * Italian American restaurant, which opened last week. Same owners (according to the staff). Went there tonite. Menu is similar to Penz with a few more pasta and italian dishes (to keep in line with the name clearly). As an "Italian" restuarant the menu isn't that strong - but put it to one side and there are good things.. Tried the tiger prawn pasta dish which was really nice with fresh prawns, and the baby back ribs - very tasty. Portions are good, and prices are reasonable - EUR5 for starters and EUR13-15 for most mains. Staff (all new) were friendly, and service was quick and efficient. The Tiramisu was to die for.
    - Bad points - would like better Italian starts and risottos, as well as a better wine (only choice of 8) menu. But it's early days, and the food and service were great, so will definitely be returning.

Cornstore
    * The Cornstore on Thomas street is absolutely A1, was there twice for lunch and just last friday for dinner. Now my favourite restaurant in Limerick.
    * The Cornstore is divine. Was there on three nights during December for various nights out and no complaints. It's a little bit more expensive than the usual spots but worth the treat.
    * Cornstore excellent early bird menu. Starter & main or Main & desert for €25. Great buzz in the place after food also. Service excellent there.
    * I went to The Cornstore on Sunday evening. The place was buzzing and was very impressed with the look of the place. They were running the early bird for €26.95 all night which I believe they do Sunday – Wednesday. We had: (To start) - Mussels – good size portion but the sauce was a bit heavy on the garlic and onion. Goats Cheese Bruschettas – huge portion, good cheese. Nice relish and rocket salad. (Mains) Chicken with Savoy cabbage, sautéed potatoes and a wine glaze. Sirloin steak with sautéed potatoes and pepper sauce (€5 Supplement). Both of these dishes were OK. The portion size was good but the chef was again heavy on the garlic and the food in my opinion was over salted. The pepper sauce and the sauce with the chicken tasted quite similar which leads me to believe that the salt issue was due to an over-salted stock. (Dessert) Crème Brulee – tasted good and a large portion. Chocolate Pot – very large and very rich. In essence a cappuccino cup filled with melted chocolate mixed with cream. We could not eat much of this. I will try the Cornstore again. Staff are lovely and the wine is well priced. The place has a nice buzz to it. But – if on the second visit the chef is as heavy handed with the salt, and the garlic in EVERY dish, I will not be back for a third time.
    * Was in Cornstore the Saturday before Christmas. Lunch menu was great value and it included steak at no extra supplement. This place has a great wine list, some of it supplied by the excellent Wine Buff. The service was amazing. ** NEW **

Country Kitchen - Breakfast food
    * Small place, but nice food, at reasonable prices. All day breakfasts.

Del Arte - an Italian restaurant.
    Location: Crescent Shopping Centre (former location of Spur steak house)

Food is good, and prices are pretty decent too.
    Very good meal deals including a main course and drink for €10. Which included any Pizza and a glass of their Red Wine.
    Pizza's are proper thin Italian Base and are definitely the nicest I've had in Limerick.
    They also do a buy 2 pizzas and get a 3rd for €1.49 which is excellent. Everything done to order, and it only takes about 5mins (as I said, those bases are thing ;))

Dim Sum, Catherine St - Chinese
    * Quite nice food, reasonable price, good portions, although skimping a little lately. Small place, little bit too cosy, but would still go for the food.

Docklands Restaurant - Across from the Clarion Hotel
    * which does good food at very good value. QTR Pounder for €4.95 with a few chips and garnish. ** NEW **
    * The Docklands restaurant the other evening and the food was nice. The staff were quite friendly too. ** NEW **

Finnegans
    * Not as good as it used to be, but for a quick feed its ideal. Standard pub grub. Can't beat the Chicken Curry Half and Half!

Freddys Bistro
    * European, Irish, Seafood Mid Pricing
    * European food, mid to high price. Nice wine list.
    * Freddys got a lot of good comments from my mates over festive period , plan going there soon.
    * Ate here Saturday night. Nice ambiance, fairly good service. Paid 85 euro (plus tip) for two starers, two mains and a bottle of wine. Had the Clonakilty Black Pudding for starter and it was fantastic. Also tasted the garlic mushrooms, they were great as well. Had the Jamaican Chicken for main course. Was tasty but failed to live up to the starter. Also tasted the sea bass which was very good, very well cooked. The wine (an Italian Pinot Grigio) was really good. Probably wasn't worth double the price of the Hamptons, although I think they do an early bird as well so it's probably not a fair comparison. ** NEW **

The French Table
    * Wonderful menu, perfectly cooked food and is a great price for a sit down meal compared with Moll Darby's and the like. Great for a nice night out and they do mini french tartlets with your tea/coffee that are home made and really top off a gorgeous dinner
    * Was at the French Table recently for my Girlfriends birthday, 9 for dinner everything came out perfect. Possibly the best cooked steak I've ever had.....and I've had a lot of steak. Couldn't fault them on presentation, food, or service. The only problem I had is that there's not much if any public parking on Steamboat Quay, unless you pay into the car park there, which at 9 at night when almost every space on the street is empty, you shouldn't have to. Would definitely recommend and will be going back soon. ** NEW **

Fusion
    * Chinese Food, good value.
    * Excellent menu and great service. The Chicken Satay is not to be missed.

Gallaghers
    * Mainly Seafood dishes, great Sunday special. Not to be missed.

Gasworks
    * It is run by a brother and sister. The brother, the chef, is formerly of the Radisson and a 5* Castle hotel in Dublin. The food is amazing and his prices do not reflect this. Well worth a visit. Best of luck to him and his Sister. ** NEW **
    * Gasworks was mentioned briefly but really deserves more love. Very reasonably priced, Porridge with honey and tea for €3 is brilliant if you want a healthy leisurely breakfast. ** NEW **
    - Went there for steak one night a couple of months ago and it was pretty terrible tbh. ** NEW **
    * I only started going there in the last month, and I'm vegetarian now so I couldn't possibly comment on the steak, but a mate of mine said the steak was great. I haven't had a bad meal in there myself at any rate, it's cheaper than Chocolat and it's healthier than Chicken Hut ** NEW **

Glasshouse
    * Went to The glasshouse recently too and was pleasantly surprised. They are trying to get rid of the image or reputation of the previous businesses that have been there and I hope they do. Their food is stunning and they give you just enough (in terms of portions). Very reasonable price wise too, will definitely be going again ** NEW **
    * Visited the glasshouse again - top marks again to that place. Had a lovely Argentinian Malbec wine along with starter of red pepper & tomato soup, main of Chorizo Rigatoni which was so filling I couldnt even contemplate dessert. If you havent visited yet - I would definitely recommend it ** NEW **
    - i have been to the glasshouse a couple of times and i am not mad about it for some reason. there is no atmosphere there. myself and husband went there one night and we were the only people there for about 2 hours and still found it hard to get the waitress attention - too busy chatting to each other. i wont go back. ** NEW **

Goosers Pub
    * Not strictly in Limerick but I have had two very good lunches here recently. Roast Pork with apples & cider was very tasty and a huge portion with lovely think slices of roast pork. Grilled sole was equally huge & very fresh. Prices are reasonable & you definitely won’t walk away hungry.

Greenes cafe
    - Nothing good to say about this place. Poor layout, small portions, over priced, got my food ten mins after my OH, and was cold. Wouldn't ever go back here.

Greenhills Hotel
    * The bar and restaurant at the Greenhills Hotel on the Ennis Rd offers dishes at exceptional quality and value. I go to the carvery lunch every weekend (massive portions) and restaurant every now and then.

The Hamptons
    * Great food, good prices
    * Great restaurant, was there Friday night. Had veg soup...very nice, just the right amount of veg too and big chunky slice of brown bread to go with it. Main meal was rib eyed steak....uhh still having wet dreams about it, was divine!! Mash and carrots with it, were superb although the carrots looked like baby food. Dessert was great too, plate full of 8 mini desserts, just perfect!
    * Tried Hamptons for the first time last night... WOW! Great food, great setting, great atmosphere, great service. Never been anywhere like it before. Can't wait to go back...Steak was amazing.
    * Ive been to The Hamptons 3 times recently and i cant say enough good things about it. From the minute you go in the door until you leave, everything is top notch. I was there last weekend and had the Pork fillet, i have never tasted food like it. Just absolutely amazing.
    * Have to agree about the Hamptons, I've never had a bad meal there!
    - Went to Hamptons a few months ago with the girls - was amazing. Couldnt fault it. So I took my OH there last week. Massive difference. Starter was cold and not really cooked through. Main course was rack of lamb, that was so tiny and overcooked. Way overpriced for what it was. Veg I thought myself was left over, it had that look and taste of being reheated. In typical Irish style tho, we didn't complain. Unlike the guy and his girlfriend next to us who complained and the manager stayed at their table for a while listening to it. They really weren't happy. Just found it disappointing. They are not exactly the cheapest/best value for money and now that the food is going downhill where does that leave it? As well as that, there seemed to be a few hen nights/girls nights in there the same night (nothing wrong with that) but ourselves and the other couple were shoved in beside them. And I'm not joking but you really couldn't hear yourself speak! (No offence to the girls, they looked to be having a great night!)
    * Was in here two or three weeks ago. Had the early bird special. Excellent value for money. Had a perfectly cooked rare piece of sirloin steak - it was delicious. Duck spring rolls for starter were great two. Was too full to eat the dessert. Service was of the highest quality. ** NEW **

Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant
    * The hong kong chinese in limerick has the best food

Jasmine Palace
    * Chinese Cuisine - Mid & High Pricing

John Street Deli
    * Best fry up in the city,good lunches,good prices.

Jumbo
    * Cuisine: Chinese. Have only got take-away from here but impressed. Nice big portion, you get free prawn crackers if you spend more than a certain amount and there is another deal i think if you spend 30 euro. Spring rolls are very nice.

Kudos
    * I had a very nice meal in there but the chef certainly likes his spices and chillies. Mine was not meant to be spicy at all and it was, I tasted the 2 other dishes my friends got and they were deadly spicy, they were only meant to be mild. they couldn't finish their meals because they were basically.... too spicy. Good portions though.

La Piccola Italia
    * One restaurant in Limerick that is consistently excellent. Never had a bad meal there. You'll pay for the quality, but its worth it.
    * WOW what an excellent meal i had last night. First time there, nice warm atmosphere, staff were excellent too. Had Minnestrone for starters - very good. Penne Al Vodka for main, which had me literally licking the plate. Had the ice cream and choc sauce for dessert - perfect way to end one of the best meals I have had in Limerick. Had the house frascati also - was lovely!

Luigi Malones
    - was in luigi malones a couple of weeks back, disgusting. nice waitress though. went in as i was sure i had heard of it before, maybe i had heard of it before as in being a place to avoid but jesus it was bad. overcooked greasy french fries, musty smell, 1970s decor, dark and dodgy sauce on a chicken something or other.
    - Have to agree about Luigi Malones, ive never had a good meal in there, i really cant see what the fuss is about.
    - It's not particularly terrible, but it's definitely not great, and the prices are absolutely exorbitant for the quality of food.

Market Square
    * High End of prices, good food and service. Bookings usually required.

Milanos
    * Tasty, reasonably priced italian food. Nice location. Good for large groups.
    * Mainly Italian dishes, cooked in front of you. Nice, clean and bright. Reasonably priced.

Mogul Emperor
    * I have to say I love the Mogul Emperor Indian Restaurant. Their food is top class. A friend of mine was taken there by an Indian man working in Limerick who would not go anywhere else.
    * I notice the Mogul Emperor is only listed in the takeaways it's also a sit-down restaurant. It may not be fancy design but the Indian food and the service is definitely the best in Limerick. OH and I go there once a month and the food never disappoints.
    * fantastic for good quality food with nice service. The ambience is quite old fashioned. However do not be put off by the appearance.

Moll Darbys
    * Pizza and European Menu - Mid + Prices

The Mustard Seed
    * Probably the best fine dining restaurant around Limerick. Irish style food, top quality, organic. Prices are high.

Olive Branch Bistro
    * I had lunch today in the Olive Branch Bistro next to the Gas Works and across from Chocolat. These are the guys who were working in the Absolute Hotel. They are doing a stellar job in there. I recommend anybody to visit this restaurant. Great food, good prices. Worth a trip. ** NEW **
    * €9.50 + for most items but well worth it. Good ingredients ,well prepared. None of your cheap ingredients made 2 days in advance here let me tell you. I didn't pay so I didn't pay too much attention to the prices for each product. Just had a quick scan and they didn't go very high. Apparently the previous owner has moved down to where the Salt House / Moll Darbys was in case people are wondering. ** NEW **

Paparazzi - Denmark St.
    * Had lunch in Paparazzi (formerly Bruschetta I think) on Denmark St. today, thumbs up from me. Had a chicken pesto wrap- it was delicious. The wrap itself appeared to have been made in-store and the chicken was sliced roast chicken, not just that manky plastic looking mush you see in a lot of delis. ** NEW **

Penz
    Closed. A restaurant called Cibo is there now. See above.

The Poppadom
    * Indian food, most expensive Indian in Limerick.
    * Excellent, varied menu, not the usual Korma, Balti, Masala etc. Originated the GOC!
    * The Poppadom is more contemporary but equally good and unusual indian dishes. Again service is very good.

River Bistro
    * The menu is a fixed 4 course for €35 including a glass of house wine – I believe that this is a special offer menu so I am not sure how long it will be available. There is a different Saturday menu which includes some specials. The wine menu starts at about €22 and goes up to around €40. We chose a bottle of Sancerre which was around the €38 mark.
    * To Start: Grilled Portabello Mushroom With Rabbit Sausage, Organic Salad Leaves And Mustard Oil – this could have had more fflavour but was an interesting and different starter. St Tolla Goats Cheese Spring Rolls With Marinated Beansprouts And Sweet Pepper Relish – devine! Putting Goats cheese into Spring roll pastry is a nice change and makes for a light started. The sweet pepper relish was Yum! The starters were accompanied by a selection of fresh breads.
    * Mains: Piri Piri Spiced Breast Of Chicken With Couscous, Fresh Tomato Salsa, Corn Pancakes And Avocado Puree – beautifully seasoned chicken, not too hot, served with a few interesting extras. Chargrilled Rib Of Beef With Chunky Chips, Onion Ring And Creamy Pepper Sauce – very large steak, fax chips and giant onion rings. The pepper sauce is quite heavy to the addition of brandy – but nice. The mains were accompanied by steamed veg and roast baby potatoes.
    * Dessert: Rhubarb And Apple Crumble With Vanilla Ice Cream – not good for the waistline but a lovely comforting dessert for a wet evening. Lemon Posset With Hazelnut Shortbread And Raspberry Sorbet – if you like a fruity dessert this is one for you
    * A nice touch at the end of the night was the chef coming out to the tables to check if people enjoyed their meal. Some may think this old fashioned but I think it is a good thing. I am looking forward to going back.

Royal Dorbar
    * Indian dishes. Good for take-aways too.

Savoy Hotel
    * I would highly recommend lunch in the hotel formerly The Marriott and now The Savoy on Henry Street, upstairs. very comfy couches and absolutely divine salads, soups, sandwiches etc. Very good value and service.

Siam Corner
    * I've eaten in there a few times and the atmosphere is lovely as is the food. The takeaways are reasonably priced too - for Thai food.

Strand Hotel
    * Sunday lunch special, four course buffet with Champagne reception and jazz band, all for €20.00.

Synotts
    * Mainly lunch trade. Excellent carvery, very reasonably priced. Usually 4 or 5 hot meal selections, salad/sandwich bar, soup of the day, lots of space.

Tanjore Palace
    * was in tanjore palace on glentworth street last week, it only opened a few weeks ago. as you can guess from the name its an indian restaurant specialising in south indian cuisine. they have two menu's, one is the usual menu you would get in most indians around ireland with a few chefs specials also, tasted two of these and they were excellent, one with lamb and it was delicious, so tender. the other menu is all south indian dishes, i tasted two dishes from this and they were pretty good. they still have some work to do with this menu as its very confusing but the food looks good. i always like to try something new when i eat out and there are loads of things on this menu i have never heard of never mind eaten. as they have only opened they are having a few teething problems with the waiting staff but i think when they get these and the menu sorted the other three main indians (mogul, popadum, copper & spice) will have some serious competition. the place has been renoveted from the chinese that was there beforehand and they have done a pretty good job of that too. To conclude, its definitely worth a look and if you like indian food, its a must.
    * I have been in tanjore palace resturant last week they have variety of food choices which I haven't seen before and prices are very low, I found it a good place to go, good taste and low price, I really enjoyed it and will recommend to all who like Indian and south Indian food.
    * lovely Poppadoms and Dips to start folowed by Tandoori Mixed Platter,then the other half had Chicken Tikka for the main,I had Chicken Bhuna with extra Garlic and a Garlic Nan. The food was scrumptious and served by a charming girl (Latvian I think)

Texas Steakout
    * Steaks, Chicken & Pasta Dishes - Open for Lunch. Mid+ Prices
    * Dined in the Texas Steakout last night with two friends. Place was moderately busy at 7.30 pm. Service was practically immediate, food (two of us had steak & mushrooms with baked spuds, and the third had Clonakilty chicken) was excellent, served piping hot (something I personally give top priority to) and overall it was an excellent occcasion. In spite of frequent criticisms about the place, we were three happy campers and the bill was very reasonable. Friendly cheerful staff too. It was quite busy and full as we left.
    * The hong kong chinese in limerick has the best food with the texas steak hse a close 2nd imho

Thai Gourmet
    * Thai Cuisine - Mid & High Pricing

Turkuaz - near Market
    * AMAZING. Great for sit down or takeaway. Their meal deal for three fed five of us! ** NEW **

Tuscany Bistro - Castletroy
    * Tuscany is lovely - the waitresses there are brilliant, i think they are both Polish ladies. The food is tasty and fresh. I feel the menu is good value for the quality of the food.I always feel comfortable in there even if eating alone. My only gripe is that it can take a long time for the food to come out - excessively long and i find sometimes the ingredients vary in the same dishes - its like they dont have a certain item that week so they dont put it in even though its mentioned on the menu. But all in all a lovely place with good options for vegetarians too!

Wokmania
    * Ok Chinese food. Not a very varied menu. Food is cheap, tasty and filling. Currently a dinner + fried rice or chips is €5

Zweton
    * Chinese Cuisine - Average Prices
    * absolutely superb food and excellent lunch menu. ** NEW **

Use this site to book places, some offer 10% discount off the bill:
    http://www.dinerplace.com/Search.aspx?rgid=10

These are recommendations of visitors to the Limerick forum. Comments were added where available.

Menus for alot of these places can be found on http://www.takeawayfood.ie/

List Updated - May 21st 2011.

Thai/Indian

Bamboo, O'Connell Street
    * The Bambu on O'Connell Street do a great take away. They are also running a promotion at the moment where if you buy one meal (main course & boiled rice or chips) and get a second free, you have to pay €2ish extra for fried rice.
    * The Bambu are no longer running the buy one get one free promotion but they have cut their prices(main course at least) by about 40%ish. The sitdown prices are now the same as the take away prices. The food is still really good too.

Chile Kebabish
    * For the lovers of indian food you really cannot go wrong in Chille Kebabish of Ellen St. Very reasonable takeaway prices and will deliver free to your door anywhere in the city. A delcious range of indian starters, kebabs and curries, nan breads and rices the lot. I couldn't recommend this place highly enough for a very good value home delivered indian meal. I do not recommend the chips. ** New **

Copper & Spice, Cornmarket Square & Annacotty
    * Copper and Spice is another lovely place and does a fabulous peanut curry (Massaman).

Indira - Balinacurra
    * For a good ol' takeaway Indira in Ballinacurra cannot be beaten in my eyes! Been going there for bout 6 years and never had a bad meal. Their Korma is so gorgeous its making me want one right now .Staff are lovely as well!
    - I have one major gripe with Indira, the Indian take away at Punches Cross. Their portions appear to be large but in fact they give a large amount of sauce and very very little meat. I ordered six dinners for my family quite recently. I am not joking when I say that the chicken dishes had approx 6 pieces of chicken in them. We were sharing the dishes so it became very obvious how little meat was included. This does not take away from the flavour but they are not cheap so really they should be a little more generous with their portions. I believe they are part of the company which owns the Poppadom Indian restaurant on Robert Street, Limerick, which I absolutely love.
    - Haven't tried them in a while... I always found they microwaved the hell out of the rice, and while they used to be gret they had started to just batch cook suaces and throw in meat. At the time the owner was starting up leassons to teach indian cooking and I think his eye was elsewhere.
    Never found the meat portions too bad - but you do get a lot of sauce in most Indians.

Mogul Emperor, Henry Street.
    * Most authentic indian dishes in town.

Poppadom's, Cornmarket Square

Royal Dorbar - Cornmarket Square

Spice of India
    * I've gotten a few deliveries from Spice Of India in the last few weeks. The food has been of an excellent standard.
    * Said I'd put in the good word here. I got a takeaway with the missus Spice of India last week. We shared a starter, got 2 main courses, 2 rice, 2 naan and a bunch of free papadums... Got change out of €30 and delivery was free. Now for the important stuff. The food was the best takeaway I've had from any restaurant in Limerick, just excellent quality (almost embarrassed to say I've eaten in every Indian in Limerick at least once). Portions were huge also, had enough for lunch the following day. Couldn't recommend it more! (Link)

Tanjore Palace
    Best Indian in Limerick. Cheap too! (Link)

----

Fish & Chips (& Chicken, Battered Sausages etc.)

Cheap as Chips, Mulgrave Street

Donkey Fords
    * Battered Sausage

Enzos william street

Fast Eddie.
    * Big kahuna burger, mmm

Fusco's, Garryowen

Golden Grill

Grove Island Chipper - Grove Island Corbally

Luigis Parnell street

McDonalds
    * Best: The Crescent, Castletroy is worst!

Munchins Grill - Corbally
    * munchins grill!!! nothing better in the world(",) daayycceennt!

NYC pizza\lobster pot
    * Still the best battered sausage in town.

Rio's, Castletroy & Parnell Street
    * Also dont mind a garlic chip and cheese and a battered sausage from rios

Slattery's, Father Russell Road

Styx on nicholas street
    * fantastic quarter and half pounders and the secret styx chip seasoning

Superdine
    * Dunno why nobody mentioned superdine. they are levels ahead of rios. and they are starting to deliver as of today which is handy for a chipper haha. I personnaly think superdine are the best chipper in limerick. they are clean and nice big portioned. and I don't feel sick after it unlike a lot of the other chippers around.
    * Same here. lived there all my life. well nearly. they went through a very bad patch there for the last maybe 3 or 4 years but they are excellent now. the food is great in there for a chipper.

Supermacs Raheen

Yellow Road ** Closed **

----

Chinese

Bamboo Garden - Corbally

Chilli Padi Chinese Take-Away - Thomondgate ** New **

China ki. - Corbally.
    * Every time we have oversea visitors this is where we take them,We have travelled a lot and have yet to find a nicer Chinese.

Chinese Palace - Roxboro Shopping Centre
    * This takeaway only restaurant is located in the Roxboro Shopping centre. Its really good food, cooked fresh unlike one of my previous favourites that I havent been to in a while ever since I saw them microwaving food. Its cheaper than a lot of places such as Wok King and Z We Ton but I suppose that wouldnt be hard, also cheaper than Fusion. Staff are very friendly and I really dont have a bad thing to say about it. ** New **

Dragonfly chinese - newtown annacotty

Ginger Lillys Mulgrave street

Golden Mountain, Kilmurray Roundabout Castletroy
    - Average prices, food not so great. Used to be nice, but has gotten much worse.

Hong Kong - William St.
    * the decor is a bit dated but the food is some of the best I have eaten ** New **
    - Was there for the first time last week - I'll agree with you on one thing, their decor is dated. I had the crispy chilli chicken with fried noodles - the chicken content in the meal was practically zero, it was like chewing through a plate of deep fried sock. The noodles were average, too thin and too greasy. The serving staff couldn't tell us what was in the vegetable curry - so if you've got a phobia of any veg, make sure to let them know to exclude it from the meal, even if it's not part of it. Don't think I'll be a return customer, though I'd be interested to know what food you would recommend there. ** New **

Jasmin Palace

Jumbo, next to the Groody Bar, Castletroy
    - I have been to Jumbo a few times in the past but had to stop going there as one of the waitress out there has a big attitude problem! If you ask her for anything she huffs and throws her eyes up to heaven (all the time) it's a shame as the other staff are very nice. Not sure if she still works there but I won't be going back to find out. ** New **

Lucky House on Davis Street
    * Good value, huge portions and tasty food- they usually give regulars free coke and prawn crackers too

Oriental Kitchen - Parnell Street

Pagoda in castletroy
    * curry there is the nicest in any of the chineses i'v eaten in....im drooling thinking about it now...house special curry fried rice and a can of coke...

Peony Court
    * The Peony Court but only for their chicken satay it's the nicest around & King Palace next to the Regional Hospital for the curry!

Remix Behind Groody, bit past the groody shopping centre.
    * Does Chinese and Indian takeaway food. Fairly cheap and good quality food in my opinion.

Royal Dorbar, Cornmarket Square

Sequoia
    * I went to the Sequoia in Thomondgate a few weeks ago and I thought it was very good. Greet food, great staff and great price. €10 for any starter, any main course plus tea or coffee. ** New **

The Shamrock, Ennis Road
    * best crispy chilli beef going.

Woking, O'Connell Street & Caherdavin
    * Wokking have changed their lunch menu. I dont know if they have changed their main menu. Singapore noodles were always available there if you asked. Now they are on the menu for 6.50 with a chicken satay skewer thrown in. Pad Thai with a choice of meat/prawns is available at the same price. At 6.50, it's a lot cheaper than bambu or city wok, which are the other places I know that do it. They also give you a lot more, and it tastes a lot nicer [though if you dont like spicy food you might not agree]. This is good. ** New **

ZeWeTon Fr Russell Road
    * Z-we-ton do great food and the staff are very nice ** New **

----

Pizza

Apache, Henry Street

Bella Italia - Thomas Street

Casa Nova Pizza on High Street.
    * They do nice Pizzas and ok pasta take aways. Very reasonable with good meal deals.
    * I would like to add about Casa Nova, they do a great lasagne. Though, I find they don't always give a big serving. One day its a huge serving where I'm full for the day, other times not so good.

cedar house on broad street..

Dominos Castletroy
    * the chains are all basically ****e. The good thing about dominoe's is when you get a large pizza but get the extra thin crust. then the pizza actually looks like a proper pizza. and the garlic sauce is a nice touch too.

Four Star, South Circular Road

Godfather's, Parkway Shopping Centre (closed)

La Piccolla pizzeria on O'Connell St / La Cucina (Castletroy)
    * do nicest take away pizza ever and is alot cheaper (€10 - €12) than the pizza chains. They don't deliver but you can order them on the phone and collect them. Their pizzas are the best in limerick
    * Yea same company as la cucina. unreal pizza's. they are the best but tuscay bistro is not far behind.
    * Best Pizza place is definetly La cucina
    * La Cucina is a 8/10 for pizza , quite pricey but is excellent quality pizza

New York City, Henry Street ("Lobster Pot")
    * +1 For NYC pizza aka Lobster pot: They do this full irish pizzas and taco pizzas which are gorgeous. Also the best taco chip in town and they deliver. hmm Im hungry now.

Papa John's, Raheen
    * Went here for first time Friday night. The base of pizza is definitely an improvement on domino's, it just seemed a lot fresher/softer. There is however something a miss, very little toppings are put on, whereas they put way too much tomato and cheese on. Would probably go again

Papa Ginos on denmark street
    * best pizza in limerick by far

Pizza hut
    * stuffed crust is hard to beat.

----

Hot Dogs

Yer man outside icon at the weekends.

----

Kebab

Turknaz, Cornmarket Square

Kashmir House, Davis Street.

Abrakebabra, O'Connell St.

Istanbul Kebab - Denmark St.
    I have to recommend Istanbul kebab ,on Denmark St. beside St Michaels church. I have been there 3 times in 3 weeks and im not even a takeaway fan.
    I'd recommend the chicken shish kebab. Freshly cooked marinated chicken breast with fresh naan, salad, garlic and salsa sauce 7.50 E. Some problems like they never have rice and once had ran out of chicken so I had lamb which was tasty too. Closest thing we have to Zaytoon in Dublin. ** NEW **

Kebabish, Ellen St.

Spingar Kebab - Castleconnell, best kebab in the county, im addicted. They also do a strange but surprisingly tasty taco chip. ** NEW **

Hot Corner - Henry Street
    * Has anyone tried Hot Corner on Henry Street? I went last night and tried the medium Falafel kebab, €3 and it was massive! €4 then for a large. My roommate got a normal kebab of the same size for twice the price, I'd recommend it even to non-vegetarians. I always thought the place looked a bit mank, but I was starving so I gave it a go and was impressed.

The last batch of comments have been added to the main posts, and the thread has been cleaned up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mr E wrote: »
    The last batch of comments have been added to the main posts, and the thread has been cleaned up.

Just to let everyone know, I got a PM from Mr E this evening with some updates for this thread. He's done a fantastic job compiling posters' comments, websites for the various restaurants and updates on which places are open/closed. Massive thanks for his efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Glasshouse

Went there for dinner one Sunday eveing.
    First of all a good atmosphere in the place.
    The waiting staff were excellent.
    We shared mussels as starters, they were delicious.
    The steak was probably the best steak I have had in Limerick.
    Will certainly go back, great value

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭irbx

hi guys

just eat in this new place (used to be O'briens Sandwich Bar) on William St. i have to say was suprised by there special kebab and my girlfriend had the goats cheese kebab. both were possible the best kebabs i have ever had in ireland.

i will be back again for sure

they do takeaway and deilvery in the city think tue to sunday

they number 061609776

Ps i have not connection to this place and just letting people there is a new taste for kebabs in town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Have eaten in the Glasshouse twice and think it's very very nice! Nice and relaxing place not too much hustle and bustle, so it can be grand to chillax with friends! Food was lovely too! No fault! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bevvie

Have eaten in The Oriental Kitchen a couple of times.
    Nice lads in there, food is cheap and tasty.
    Friend got beef in black bean sauce with noodles for €6.50(eat in only i think)
    Nice chunks of beef, sauce was delish and lots of noodles!
    I usually get seafood udon(makes a change from the regular food :P)
    Delicious, came in a lovely sauce and very generous on the seafood!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Myself and the GF went into the Thai Gourmet this evening. €19.50 per person for a three course meal. Food was gorgeous and portions were decent. Highly recommend.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I was in Limerick over the weekend & ate in Hamptons. It's a very tastefully fitted out restaurant, the service is excellent & the wine really, really good.

But the food... man, the food is divine. We had the value menu - 3 courses for €25 & from start to finish, it was perfect. Simple dishes, really well seasoned & expertly cooked. I couldn't fault it. The best meal I've eaten out in Ireland in a long time and at that price... wow. If I didn't live in Sligo, I'd be one of their best customers!

We ate in the Texas Steakout the previous night. Same price for the meal, but a huge difference overall - the waitress was narky, and apart from the ribs, which made a nice starter, the food was wholly unremarkable apart from my wife's steak was literally inedible... the chef decided to incinerate it for some reason.

I can't recommend Hamptons highly enough though. 10/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Blady123

This is a great thread and has some great recommendations. I was wondering though - which restaurant gets the most reviews? My family are visiting and I'm looking to take them somewhere traditional and not too pricey, but nice. Maybe somewhere that's not a bar, as I realise Dolans and the Locke are nice places. Any help is appreciated - they're coming this evening.

Cheers,
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Cornstore is quite good as is the Glasshouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

Cafe Noir on Robert Street is brilliant. They do lunch...mostly soup and sandwiches, but they do things like quiche and bruschetta too. They're open late on Friday and Saturday (until 12) and they operate as a tapas and wine place. And the cofee's great too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

I was in Limerick over the weekend & ate in Hamptons. It's a very tastefully fitted out restaurant, the service is excellent & the wine really, really good.

But the food... man, the food is divine. We had the value menu - 3 courses for €25 & from start to finish, it was perfect. Simple dishes, really well seasoned & expertly cooked. I couldn't fault it. The best meal I've eaten out in Ireland in a long time and at that price... wow. If I didn't live in Sligo, I'd be one of their best customers!

We ate in the Texas Steakout the previous night. Same price for the meal, but a huge difference overall - the waitress was narky, and apart from the ribs, which made a nice starter, the food was wholly unremarkable apart from my wife's steak was literally inedible... the chef decided to incinerate it for some reason.

I can't recommend Hamptons highly enough though. 10/10.

Thanks for sharing your review.

Went to Hamptons earlier today based on your feedback. Was there just after lunch time so we decided to go with the 3 Course Value Menu.

Very happy with the food and service. No complaints apart from my mother who said the place was a bit dark! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

I was in HAmptons too over weekend, theye had a great specials board at 10 euro for mains. if you are looking for some ehre nice for lunch, would strongly recommend it, having been three times over the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 littlemuffin26

went to glasshouse last week...as said soo relaxing in there,staff are amazing good cocktails :D and food really really good

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Cibo - closed for some time now, probably needs to be removed from the list, or noted that it's closed. Unfortunately the pub below is also now gone too :(

Also Spurs closed in the Cresent shopping center and replace with Del Arte - an Italian restaurant.

Food is good, and prices are pretty decent too.
    Very good meal deals including a main course and drink for €10. Which included any Pizza and a glass of their Red Wine.
    Pizza's are proper thin Italian Base and are definitely the nicest I've had in Limerick.
    They also do a buy 2 pizzas and get a 3rd for €1.49 which is excellent. Everything done to order, and it only takes about 5mins (as I said, those bases are thing ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭brian2me

went to glasshouse last week...as said soo relaxing in there,staff are amazing good cocktails :D and food really really good

Just after a meal in the Glasshouse, service was slow, not attentive, menu was OK but food was OK had the Duck Confit to start which was very nice and Baked Hake for mains was good but not special for dessert had pavalova which was poor i thought the worst i ever had. I suppose the service tainted every thing. Wouldgo back but wouldn't be rushing as the menu is just OK, price wise over priced based on quality of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Old quater 2 main courses €9.95, food is good, portions good. Must be best value food in limerick at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Great restaurant already mentioned above, We were brought here by some Indian friends. That says a lot, different authentic menu, one of only 2 or 3 Indian restaurants in Ireland specialising in Southern Indian Dishes. Can be a bit quiet but had a few lovely meals here, just with they done delivery!

Chocolat:

Went there last Thursday evening. Seated straight away with no reservation. Had the Clonakilty pudding cake for starter, and the spagetti meatball for mains. Asked for a side of home made fries, but never received them, ok I could have asked for them, but not once did the waiting staff come over to us during our starter or mains and ask if everything was okay. Found that very poor service. Didnt find the staff too friendly either, so even the food was lovely, I wont be going back there.

My oh went to the toilet there and she couldnt believe the downstairs section, it was huge and we had thought it probably was, given the amount of people coming through the doors, but she said it was so loud, that she couldnt believe you would be able to have a nice dinner there.

EDIT: Food portions are small so best having a snack before you head in

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Royal Dorbar has closed I think.

La Piccola Italia:

I love this place - its one of the best restaurants in the city. Its very relaxed and the staff are very friendly. Went in on a Monday night and were a lot busier than I expected but it wasnt jammed.

Had the mozzarella in carozza (sp) for starter, which is pan-fried bread with mozzarella in the middle, simply delicious. For mains I had the penne al vodka, really good pasta dish, you can get a hint of vodka in it which is really nice, and the dish also has little bits of ham/pancetta in it.
    For dessert I went for my all time fav dessert Coppa Binga Bongo - essentially Ice-cream and Chocolate sauce.

Overall marks: 5/5!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Had lunch in the new Lebanses on Thomas Street recently.
    A very disappointing experience.

Small portion
    Tough Chicken
    Bland Sauce
    Nice rice

2/5

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Cant say I was that impressed with La Piccola.
    But I will drive from Dooradoyle to Castletroy just to go to La Cucina Deli Definatly one of the best pizza places EVER! My OH is addicted to the Buffala Pizza! I make my own pizza at home, including yeast based dough and a pizza stone in the oven and I still cant get mine any where near the quality of La Cucina! (Just wish they had a sit down restaurant in the city, & or a Home Delivery service.) Though it is a great location for a bit of Munster Rugby Player Spotting :p

The White Sage in Adare is a brilliant spot. Much better than that awful Wild Geese next door to it.
    Always a warm atmosphere, quality food, friendly service. Bobbie who ownes/manages the Restaurant is brilliant, we purchased a photo they had displayed on their wall, as a gift for a friend that visited the restaurant. Bobbie texted on the details of the artist and everything for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Not sure if I seen the Dragonfly restaurant on the list....

Anyway its out in Castletroy, great food, great sevice, good portions and in my view the best chinese in Limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Anyone got a number for Papa Ginos? And what time do they open?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Went to the George Hotel last night and had the early bird in their restaurant. have to say it was brilliant value, 16.95 for 3 courses and you could choose from their a la carte menu, some items had a supplement if you chose them, such as steak,sea bass etc.
    Service was excellent, everyone's meal was lovely - highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

What's the closest pizza place to either of the cinemas ?

Advertisement