Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Interesting reading all the posts during the day about the wind and big showers.
    Last night was wet and squally but once that cleared it was a nice day with only a light breeze, cool but plenty of sunshine and not a drop of rain.
    Nice clear night out tonight but looking at the radar thats gonna change very soon.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Winter should be a beautiful time of the year, crisp blue skies and dazzling sunshine, frosts layered on the grass and bark of trees, that orange glow from an early sunset. Other times snow showers or the excitement of seeing bands of rain turn to snow, lampost watching at night and then the vibrant orange glow in the snow and skies by night. Unfortunately we rarely ever see proper winter weather in this country and end up with endless mild Atlantic muck most of the time and that's why we dread winter. Hopefully we will finally experience some proper winter days this year, even if it's just for a few days. It's well overdue.

Yes absolutely, Winter is a beautiful season. It’s the darkness and short days that affect me . It takes me a good while to adjust to the hour change , Im very much an outdoor person . Living alone isn’t easy especially in these times ...but the daytime can be beautiful and I live close to beaches !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes absolutely, Winter is a beautiful season. It’s the darkness and short days that affect me . It takes me a good while to adjust to the hour change , Im very much an outdoor person . Living alone isn’t easy especially in these times ...but the daytime can be beautiful and I live close to beaches !

all of these apply to me; I am all but bedbound already this winter with the dark days etc. Pain levels are higher than ever But there are ways to live within this and adjust and revel in life. Befriend the seasons! Do not let them become enemy aliens! It is natural to slow down like this in winter; it is only in modern times we are expected to be atop of all things all the year round.

I refuse to let the winter deprive me of anything! Worked at this a long while. And am atop of it.

I have seen I think one person face to face in the last two months and that was the heavily masked postlady with parcels. Not a worry as we know why.

We have the internet so we are not really alone.

I was outside briefly in a pause in the hostilities.. one of the cats had been awol nearly 48 hours so I was seeking her

The sky had cleared and oh the stars! We are on the edge of the Dark SKy Park and it must be a stargazers paradise, I was transfixed at the utter glory of all the familiar "starfaces"

A beautiful world.

The tumult has recommenced out there now, Force 8 gale this morning.

west mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

lovely morning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Stunning autumn’s day. Clear blue sky. Orange, yellow and brown leaves scattered everywhere. Wonderful colours. If you don’t get outdoors today you are very silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nice enough morning in Cork City, just had one heavy shower though and now the sun is back out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Gloriously bright autumnal Sunday

Oh “season of mists and mellow fruitfulness”

Sky blue vaulted heavens and gentle Sun dappled umber and rust foliage on verdant lawns

A sense of peace pervading the country side - -Praise be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Not been very nice at all in Donegal these past few days, very windy with frequent heavy showers piling in off the Atlantic. Think I heard a rumble of thunder some time early this morning

Not been very nice at all in Donegal these past few days, very windy with frequent heavy showers piling in off the Atlantic. Think I heard a rumble of thunder some time early this morning

I thought of you when I saw the yellow rain warning on met ie JUST for Donegal...

Here a Force 8 gale, and frequent sudden sideways assaults from wet and cold stuff..

Then a shaft of sunlight..

No one could say it is boring!

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely fresh autumn day in Kildare. Clouding over now though. Breezy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

An absolutely stunning autumnal day here in NCD.

Beautiful sunshine for being out and about.

Its gone cold + cloudy now but sure thats the perfect excuse to relax with papers + do nothing for rest of evening.

Yesterday wasn't great but still managed a nice walk wrapped up well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quick moving frequent heavy showers moving through here near Tralee today, more so since the afternoon. 7.0mm , most from this afternoon.

Cool at 8.6C

03wmIzT.gif

EU5gEqT.png?1

5.40pm + its pitch black.

I really hate when clocks go back.

Boo hoo!

It is so very, very good to see it light soon after seven.... takes all sorts and everything makes someone happy. ;)

A chilly grey, wet start, with the undertone of muted wind. A day to stay snug which I fully intent to comply with very happily indeed! OK; cats, coffee, knitting, youtube,, cake!

west Mayo offshore

LATER; something different every few minutes. Blue skies, then sudden deluge...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Clearing skies in Kildare 2.4mm overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A mix of blue skies, passing shower clouds and a few rainbows in Mayo so far today. A very showery regime over the last few days that gave 23mm of rain during the past 48 hours in my own location. Today is somewhat more pleasant than yesterday when there were frequent and heavy blustery showers that gave some very heavy downpours. The garden and surrounding fields are well saturated after the rain of the past week.
    Those big hefty showers rolling in off the Atlantic did have some impressive cloud tops however and there was plenty of cumulonimbus on view.
    As much as I liked looking at them, I would gladly swap this current spell and it's forecast for continued rain for that lovely settled spell that we had the week before last here. That was my favourite type of autumnal weather.
    Below a few pics of those beefy shower clouds over the past few days and two of my favourite memories from that aforementioned settled spell.

attachment.php?attachmentid=530670&stc=1&d=1603716130

attachment.php?attachmentid=530674&stc=1&d=1603716724

attachment.php?attachmentid=530675&stc=1&d=1603716724

attachment.php?attachmentid=530676&stc=1&d=1603716724

attachment.php?attachmentid=530679&stc=1&d=1603716724

A bitterly cold wind out there just now. ( I was out separating warring cats! They have fur coats.)

WEST MAYO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Fair breezy in East Clare now...It's porridge time in an attempt to get back to sleep !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wind wind wind for the next week. I hope it's not like last year and it stays windy until March!

Wind wind wind for the next week. I hope it's not like last year and it stays windy until March!

It will out here whatever happens elsewhere!

west mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Has turned very wild and dark here after what was a bright afternoon. Wind making noises that I haven't heard in a good while.

New Moon

There is heavy rain hard on the windows and wind is raising its voice.

West mayo

Wild and very nasty out here now. Just … nasty.
    Shivers!

West Mayo offshore

STUPENDOUS! MAGNIFICENT!

Just been out at the back as the noise was getting louder.. I have never in my years here seen the ocean full of breakers like this.

Awe-inspiring...

Just beat the next deluge, and it is bitterly cold.. Sounds like hail.

This time last week?

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Grand last 2 days here in meath, sunny, windy cool, and dry, great for getting out walking

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Graces7 wrote: »
    I just posted on the autumn thread as it has escalated swiftly here.

The sudden increase in noise had me outside

The ocean bay at the back is usually flat calm,. or occasionally ruffled, Now it has white breakers crashing in. A first time sight for me in my more than four years here

Exhilarating! And invigorating. The next while will be.... challenging. Pure volatile autumn weather at its finest.

West Mayo offshore

This post reminds me of Micheal Viney describing the joys of living on the west coast as he sees the different weather systems coming in off the Atlantic.

Maybe you have heard of him?

If not, this is a documentary he did many years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR4zcyk76u4&t=3316s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

This post reminds me of Micheal Viney describing the joys of living on the west coast as he sees the different weather systems come off the Atlantic.

When we moved from the east coast my son said he didn't like it in kerry.
    When I asked why, he said it rained too much... He was 8 at the time:)

This post reminds me of Micheal Viney describing the joys of living on the west coast as he sees the different weather systems coming in off the Atlantic.

Thankyou and I look forward to seeing that - and it is very very relevant to this thread; seeing this weather front coming in is exactly what I am doing.

west mayo offshore island

• Advertisement

Brrrr today is definitely the coldest day so far in NCD.

We wrapped up warm + were out in park for few hours but the wind would cut through you.

Wasn't expecting rain but some heavy showers.

Oct has been great overall though. Today was 1st day I actually felt cold.

Advertisement