Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colonoscopy in St James Dublin

• 22-03-2015 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Just wondering if anyone anyone has had a colonoscopy in St James. I'm having one tomorrow Monday, which was all very hastily arranged. I got a call on Fri to say they had a cancellation and would send info and klean prep script to my local pharmacy. The letter they sent is very basic just telling me i've an appointment at 9am and not a lot else. I'm now getting stressed over what are probably minor things, and hoped someone can help:

1. Do I need to bring a dressing gown. Other hospitals say to bring one on their websites, no info for St James. I don't want to bring a bulky dressing gown if dont need and will have no where to store it. But same time don't want to left with @ss showing to all and sundry!

2. Is there somewhere to store clothes and valuables like phone etc..

thanks Jojo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 middleC

not sure about james hosp, but i know you should bring a dressing gown and slippers.

you will not be concious during procedure, they would probably allow you to store you phone & bag under your bed i would imagine. dont have too mush cash in your bag just in case.

its not too bad ,the prep is not too pleasant but its all over in a day and you will recover quickly. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jojoface

middleC wrote: »
    not sure about james hosp, but i know you should bring a dressing gown and slippers.

you will not be concious during procedure, they would probably allow you to store you phone & bag under your bed i would imagine. dont have too mush cash in your bag just in case.

its not too bad ,the prep is not too pleasant but its all over in a day and you will recover quickly. best of luck.

Thanks middle C , I suppose no harm bringing it just in case. Just wish I had more information about it. Just about to start on the prep now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I'd suggest bringing nothing of significant value if you can avoid it.

No patient info on the SJH site, it does exist and it's a pity you didn't get it. The only similar local patient info sheet I can find online is from the Mater Private, worth a look. Patient.co.uk have a comprehensive page on the procedure too.

BTW, I would highlight the bit about not being able to able to drive for 24 hours after a colonoscopy!!

Thanks Vorsprung for the links, I couldn't reply to your message with attachmdnts as I 'm a new user.

Anyway just thought I'd let others who may have a colonoscopy in James know that you don't need to bring a dressing gown. You are placed on a trolley bed when first seen by the nurse, you can place personal belongings below the bed, you will be on the same trolley for the whole procedure, so no need to get up and walk about at any time.
    I've got to say was very impressed with the staff and how everything ran really smoothly. My appointment was for 9am and I am now home since 12.45pm. Can't believe my doctor sent referral letter on Wed, I got the call on Fri, and now on Monday it's all over, and that's going public :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Being available to take a cancellation will often speed things up for some procedures.

Other thing to remember is that SJH is a well run hospital, probably one of the nicer Dublin hospitals to work in too.

Glad you had a good experience!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

My doctor has just sent letter to James Connolly for one. Hopefully Tis nothing.

Is there a cost going public? Do you need someone to bring you? If you're put to sleep I presume driving is out of the question.

Many thanks

My doctor has just sent letter to James Connolly for one. Hopefully Tis nothing.

Is there a cost going public? Do you need someone to bring you? If you're put to sleep I presume driving is out of the question.

Many thanks

The cost for going public is 75 euro. Also you are not necessarily put to sleep for a colonoscopy, though you will be given a mild sedative so yes you will need someone to pick you up. I made my own way to the hospital for mine, but my partner had to come pick me up.
    I think the thought of the procedure is worse than it actually is. :)
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Jojoface wrote:
    The cost for going public is 75 euro. Also you are not necessarily put to sleep for a colonoscopy, though you will be given a mild sedative so yes you will need someone to pick you up. I made my own way to the hospital for mine, but my partner had to come pick me up. I think the thought of the procedure is worse than it actually is. Good luck!

Thanks Jojo,

Fingers crossed all is good. Doc wants to find cause of anaemia. Fit, healthy enough diet etc so no other reason.

Maybe just need to eat load of spinach.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I was asleep. Was honestly nothing to worry about. No discomfort during or afterwards. Woke up and felt fine.
    The anxiety before was the worst bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mathilde17

Hi !

I need to do a colonoscopy and I saw my doctor back in June. He sent a referral letter to St James Hospital but I still haven't heard from them. Everytime I call there is nobody picking up the phone ... I am starting to get extremely worried as I need this colonoscopy so my doctor can find a treatment for my problems.

How long did it take for you to have your appointement? Is there a different number I should ring?

Thanks a lot for your help !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭almostbroke

Mathilde17 wrote: »
    Hi !

I need to do a colonoscopy and I saw my doctor back in June. He sent a referral letter to St James Hospital but I still haven't heard from them. Everytime I call there is nobody picking up the phone ... I am starting to get extremely worried as I need this colonoscopy so my doctor can find a treatment for my problems.

How long did it take for you to have your appointement? Is there a different number I should ring?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Hi....I just had one on Monday in St. James....I was 2 months waiting after my doctor referred me. There was an email address on one of the forms that I had to complete when I went there, but I don't have it on any other docs....they said on that form that it was the best way to contact them as their phones are extremely busy....look it up on their website, or maybe contact your doctor.....

Hi....I just had one on Monday in St. James....I was 2 months waiting after my doctor referred me. There was an email address on one of the forms that I had to complete when I went there, but I don't have it on any other docs....they said on that form that it was the best way to contact them as their phones are extremely busy....look it up on their website, or maybe contact your doctor.....

Phone nos. I have are 4162109, 4162110 and 4162430......

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mathilde17

Thanks a lot almostbroke ! I will try again to get someone on the phone ;)

Good luck...hope it all goes well for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Was this referral with private health Insurance?

Advertisement