Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year 2020=2021

• 11-07-2020 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

I am wondering what opportunities will be available to those entering Transition Year in September.

My son did Transition Year a couple of years ago and he got to do a week in the College of Surgeons, a week with the army and a week in IT Tallaght.

My daughter is starting TY this September and I suspect she will not have the same range of options.

Does anyone know of organisations in the Leinster area that will be offering TY placements over the academic year 2020-2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭teacosy

Am also interested in this topic- daughter starting in Sept. A couple of options have already fallen through.

If charity shops are open might that be an option for a week or two?

Can't see any of the university ones happening, since they are already planning on not having the students there most of the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

From what I've heard the only options will be if a family member can take your child to work. Not great, but the best option given the current situation I suppose. The idea behind that being the workplace already has one person from that household there, so if they're going to get Covid they'll get it from that person anyway. I heard this from a TY coordinator, if your kid's school is doing this I'm sure it will be explained in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Isn't there an option to skip it?

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Isn't there an option to skip it?

Not really at this late stage I would think. Numbers for 5th year would balloon and that wouldn’t be ideal or even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

teacosy wrote: »
    Not really at this late stage I would think. Numbers for 5th year would balloon and that wouldn’t be ideal or even possible?

So far it seems this is a lost year for the children. I realize it is only day one... but the prospects in my sons school are grim.

Limited to 4 rooms all year. Cannot meet or talk with friends in other years or groups. No travel. No trips. No work experience!

If, say the child decided to go on a minor crime spree this past summer and was caught locked up for his fun/crimes - he would be less likely to be treated as such a prisoner - and likely released in less time.

• Advertisement

yankinlk wrote: »
    So far it seems this is a lost year for the children. I realize it is only day one... but the prospects in my sons school are grim.

Limited to 4 rooms all year. Cannot meet or talk with friends in other years or groups. No travel. No trips. No work experience!

If, say the child decided to go on a minor crime spree this past summer and was caught locked up for his fun/crimes - he would be less likely to be treated as such a prisoner - and likely released in less time.

That’s unfortunate. My own daughter just started back yesterday and they are already going on a trip this week. They’ll have extra buses and won’t have an overnight stay but I thought it was encouraging at least that they were going. Maybe things will improve in your son’s school as the weeks go on.

Advertisement