Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Piers v Expansion joints Blockwork wall

Options
  • 16-09-2020 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi. I’m intending to get a builder in to rebuild our 20m approx. boundary wall, in conjunction with my neighbour.
    Can this be built without piers? Could we build a block on flat wall, (215mm), total height 2100mm, put expansion joints every 5m or so?
    Or do we need piers, roughly every 4 metres or so?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

x joints and piers serve two different purposes, they are not interchangeable.
    what width is the foundation going to be?
    whats the soil like

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kincora2017

x joints and piers serve two different purposes, they are not interchangeable.
    what width is the foundation going to be?
    whats the soil like

We’d be asking for foundations 3 times the width of the wall, 400 deep. So if we end up with a block on edge wall with piers we’d ask for 300mm, 600 for a block on flat. Soil is sandy clay.

Around us all the old boundary walls are block on edge, piers every 4m or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The foundations for the piers need to match the piers.
    Do the existing have x joints at the piers?
    IMO 2100 on flat with no piers is a bit risky: old school/cautious perhaps :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kincora2017

The foundations for the piers need to match the piers.
    Do the exiting have x joints at the piers?
    IMO 2100 on flat with no piers is a bit risky: old school/cautious perhaps :)

Better to be safe then sorry!
    There’s no expansion joints on the existing piers. They’re fairly crude tbh, I’d say they go back to the 70,s or further

Advertisement