Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PT expectations

• 13-09-2020 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all. Just had a question about PTs.
    What would you expect from a PT in the initial stages in order to establish a plan or help you achieve your goal?
    I have started with one recently and we have gone straight into the exercises but no measurements taken/plan/goals set out.
    Is this right?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Ella281 wrote: »
    What would you expect from a PT in the initial stages in order to establish a plan or help you achieve your goal?
    I have started with one recently and we have gone straight into the exercises but no measurements taken/plan/goals set out.
    Is this right?
    Thanks.

No because he/she cannot measure your progress against baseline. Change trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Cill94

I don't see an issue with them not taking measurements like skinfolds (personally find that a bit invasive), however if fat loss is a goal of yours, then they should at least encourage you to track your weight.

There should also be a regular objective measure for your progress in the training itself. For example, I keep a log of each client's sessions, and can show them how much stronger they've gotten since day 1.

I wrote an article on the topic a while back that might give you an idea of what to expect from a good coach https://www.cillianoconnor.net/single-post/2019/10/16/Finding-the-Right-Coach-for-YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ax530

Trainer usually does measurements weights, leg, arm ... CMS.
    I have been offered documents with meal plan ideas & tips.
    Usually trainer will mention weight did previously will increase it ect I don't follow take note of these I'm mostly just happy to get the exercise done

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't think measurements are entirely necessary. If they weren't confident in their use of calipers, they're better off not doing it anyway since the number wouldn't be in any way accurate.

But there should have been a discussion about what you wanted from the PT. Lose weight, lose fat, get stronger, get bigger, etc. They can't come up with a plan if they don't know what your goals are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What's the going rate for a PT these days if you are doing it 'virtually' ie not physically in a gym.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

What's the going rate for a PT these days if you are doing it 'virtually' ie not physically in a gym.

Depends.

You could pay 150 euro or more per month for 1 to 1 online coaching, if that's what you're talking about.

There are online group coaching options out there which are based on templates or set programming that clock in much cheaper, could be 25 euro a month etc.

The world is your oyster if you're willing to be coached online, as you can opt to train with anyone anywhere. Occasionally there will be sales offered (20% off the first 3 months and so on) from US companies pushing online coaching.

I would suggest this whole route will suit someone who knows how to train but needs help with their programming.

Thanks, yeah the one I'm looking at is €150pm

Dublin based, 1-1 virtually with individual plans etc and a library of you tube tutorials.

Might give it a shot for 3 months (minimum term) and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is this right?
    Thanks.

The plan, goals, expectation should have been the main conversation initially.
    How do they know if you want to lose weight, or whether you don;t care about weight but want to get stronger.

If would have been a good idea for them to take measurements. But on the other hand, it's very easy to do yourself, as remember you are paying for that time too.
    Some PT push monthly assesments, that are simply convoluted ways to bill an extra 30mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the main reason to use a trainer is to train safely in a gym and to learn how to get more out of the equipment thereand to push you a little more than you might yourself. Have your expectations managed , going to a gym doesnt mean you will lose weight ,as such whether they take measurements or isnt of huge importance. You have a scales and measuring tape at home, know your weight and your waist and you have 80/20'd the issue, getting measured at a gym is more pampering the client and creating a bit of dependence on the trainer, which isnt necessarily bad just not essential.
    If you were looking for goals that the gym or a trainer can help with then think about what type of fitness would improve your lot, be it health, longevity , functional fitness for other activities.
    Personally I think it would be more interesting to do some kind of base line fitness test that would measure your cardio fitness and strength now, then track that over the next year. So if you went from "sedentary" to above average in 6 months to a year, thats all you need to confirm what you knew anyway as you would have noticed the difference along the way.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    the main reason to use a trainer is to train safely in a gym and to learn how to get more out of the equipment thereand to push you a little more than you might yourself. Have your expectations managed , going to a gym doesnt mean you will lose weight ,as such whether they take measurements or isnt of huge importance. You have a scales and measuring tape at home, know your weight and your waist and you have 80/20'd the issue, getting measured at a gym is more pampering the client and creating a bit of dependence on the trainer, which isnt necessarily bad just not essential.
    If you were looking for goals that the gym or a trainer can help with then think about what type of fitness would improve your lot, be it health, longevity , functional fitness for other activities.
    Personally I think it would be more interesting to do some kind of base line fitness test that would measure your cardio fitness and strength now, then track that over the next year. So if you went from "sedentary" to above average in 6 months to a year, thats all you need to confirm what you knew anyway as you would have noticed the difference along the way.

I disagree. A good PT does a lot more than showing a client how to use the equipment properly with good technique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

The initial session with the PT should have included discussions of goals and objectives. How can they do a programme for you if they dont know what you want.
    They should have also had a discussion with you on injuries that you may have and should have done a movement assessment of some description to see where to even start with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

brownej wrote: »
    The initial session with the PT should have included discussions of goals and objectives. How can they do a programme for you if they dont know what you want.
    They should have also had a discussion with you on injuries that you may have and should have done a movement assessment of some description to see where to even start with you.
    This ∆∆∆
    Plus I'd do photos and measurements (with a tape measure).;Scales too, but I'd rely more on the measurements and how the client is feeling/doing regarding progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ella281

Yeah. I never had a PT before so it’s all new to me.
    When I saw PT adevertised, I thought goals, exercises, measurements and nutrition plan.
    Whereas I have only been doing strength exercises. I’m just worried about my goals and meeting them. We only briefly discussed my goals and hopes etc
    Not sure if this is the norm. I would of expected more than what he’s giving tbh.

Has anyone used a 'virtual PT' based in ireland but its all done via zoom/whatsapp etc...what's the going rate €150 per month?

When I saw PT adevertised, I thought goals, exercises, measurements and nutrition plan.
    Whereas I have only been doing strength exercises. I’m just worried about my goals and meeting them. We only briefly discussed my goals and hopes etc
    Not sure if this is the norm. I would of expected more than what he’s giving tbh.

You have three choices at this point: (1) carry on as is, (2) have the chat with him about what you want from it and ask that the training be aimed at that and (3) move on.

Should be no issue with 2, to be honest. A good PT want to help you get where you want. They draw the map and you follow it.

But if you're not happy with the outcome of the chat then look elsewhere

Just a note here. It’s a really common misconception that PTs are qualified to give nutrition plans. General nutrition advice yes, but not specific meal plans. Only registered dieticians should be doing that. I would be more wary of PTs offering this service than the ones who don’t.

Regardless, you should definitely raise your concerns with this person you’re paying.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Just a note here. It’s a really common misconception that PTs are qualified to give nutrition plans. General nutrition advice yes, but not specific meal plans. Only registered dieticians should be doing that. I would be more wary of PTs offering this service than the ones who don’t.

Regardless, you should definitely raise your concerns with this person you’re paying.
    A specific meal plan for a specific treatment, yes only dietitians are qualified to do that.
    But diet for weight loss for 95% of people not a specific treatment and general advice is fine, and general advice can include a meal plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Mellor wrote: »
    A specific meal plan for a specific treatment, yes only dietitians are qualified to do that.
    But diet for weight loss for 95% of people not a specific treatment and general advice is fine, and general advice can include a meal plan.
    I agree with you 100%.

However some pts ..have never done a course in a nutrition and some have.

Its a common misconception that every qualified PT has done nutrition as part of their qualification. That isnt true.

Nor do some know a lot from just experience etc. They may not feel they know any more than a lay person.

Some pt courses have nutrition as apart of the course some do not. Some fitness people are interested in nutrition and some are not.

Plenty of pts have zero interest in nutrition and don't want to provide it as a service. Its just not what they want to do. They might not even feel they know enough.

I agree a lot with silver harp ...

Some pts might consider the whole goal setting thing ...spoon feeding clients ...and not worth the time it takes. Some are totally into it.

OP i would find a PT with the approach YOU like.

You want someone to motivate you and organize this for you. Not every PT works like that.

What a PT is supposed to be is the RIGHT PT for you.

Not everyone likes the goal setting measurement stuff etc. But you do ..so find a pt that is right for you.

Goal setting isn't for the PT to do. Its for the client to know. But what the PT does with the client should reflect what the client wants to gain from their time with the PT.

Otherwise, what's the basis for the workout/exercise that they give the client?

As far as I’m aware, dieticians are the only nutrition professional that are protected by law. (Or so the INDI claims).

Coming at it strictly from a legal standpoint, my understanding would be that PTs leave themselves vulnerable to legal action if they were ever to dispense a meal plan that had a serious negative effect on a client’s health.

• Advertisement

As far as I’m aware, dieticians are the only nutrition professional that are protected by law. (Or so the INDI claims).

Coming at it strictly from a legal standpoint, my understanding would be that PTs leave themselves vulnerable to legal action if they were ever to dispense a meal plan that had a serious negative effect on a client’s health.
    This is true.

Its not that you WOULD harm someone. But people are sue happy these days.

In fact some solicitors make a living suing gyms and pts ....its a huge issue partic in Ireland.

Even a waiver doesn't really protect you.

look at these search results.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=people+suing+gyms&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Its too easy to make a claim in Ireland.

I mean their health could be going south anyway ...nothing to do with you..but ...if you can sue ..why wouldn't they?

There are a lot of people who want to take advantage.

You cant say anything these days. Its changed the business.

The protection covers the job title not the advice or service.

Same way you have to be qualified to use the title architect. But you don’t have to be a architect to give somebody advice relating to design - but you can mislead someone either.
    Yes they could. But so would a dietician.

Which is why they have to be clear that it’s general advice not medical or specific advice.
    From a legal standpoint. Telling somebody to eat whatever amount of PFC, would be the same as giving them an example meal plan that achieves that ratio of PFC.

The protection covers the job title not the advice or service.

Same way you have to be qualified to use the title architect. But you don’t have to be a architect to give somebody advice relating to design - but you can mislead someone either.

Yes they could. But so would a dietician.

Which is why they have to be clear that it’s general advice not medical or specific advice.
    From a legal standpoint. Telling somebody to eat whatever amount of PFC, would be the same as giving them an example meal plan that achieves that ratio of PFC.

Surely if you're in a court, you're going to have a far better chance of winning a case if you can prove you were sufficiently qualified to provide a service?

Similar to how I'd assume an architect with a degree would have better protection under law if someone's house falls down, than if someone unqualified designed the house for them?

Maybe I'm assuming too much of the legal system

Surely if you're in a court, you're going to have a far better chance of winning a case if you can prove you were sufficiently qualified to provide a service?

I don't see how. Despite the qualification, the result was a negative effect on a client’s health. They are liable for that.
    Similar to how I'd assume an architect with a degree would have better protection under law if someone's house falls down, than if someone unqualified designed the house for them?

Maybe I'm assuming too much of the legal system

Protected how? If the advice was genuinely bad advice, and caused the house to fall down, then they are liable. A qualification doesn't remove responsibility, it anything it increases it.

You seem to be thinking that being qualified to give advice provides some sort of legal protection. It doesn't, but it enables you to get insurance.

I don't see how. Despite the qualification, the result was a negative effect on a client’s health. They are liable for that.

This is true.

However giving advice when you are not actually sufficiently qualified leaves you even more open to being sued.

Remember ..you don't have to give bad advice. People LIE mellor.

And if you are not qualified it might be more reasonable to believe you gave misguided or bad advice.

Infact ...insurance wise its questionable to ask if you insurance as a PT would actually cover it.

In a lot of cases I am certain it would not.

And if you are not covered ..dont do it.

This is true.
    However giving advice when you are not actually sufficiently qualified leaves you even more open to being sued.
    Remember ..you don't have to give bad advice. People LIE mellor.
    Somebody lying and misrepresenting themselves as a dietitian or whatever is a entirely different issue, and not relevant to the above tbh.
    And if you are not qualified it might be more reasonable to believe you gave misguided or bad advice.
    Infact ...insurance wise its questionable to ask if you insurance as a PT would actually cover it.
    In a lot of cases I am certain it would not.
    And if you are not covered ..dont do it.
    Again, that's why we are talking about general dietary guidelines, verses specific or medical advice. There is no legal requirement to be a dietitian for the former afaik. Same way that people aren't sued for general on facebook, or on here.

Simple example, you mentioned PTs who included nutrition as part of there course. I believe that covers your course too. Would you give general diet advice to a client?

Would you give general diet advice to a client?
    Not if i can avoid it.

My insurance doesn't cover it. This was pointed out to me specifically by the insurer.

If pressed reluctantly yes. With the caveat 'Im not a professional'.
    Again, that's why we are talking about general dietary guidelines, verses specific or medical advice. There is no legal requirement to be a dietitian for the former afaik. Same way that people aren't sued for general on facebook, or on here.

Do members of facebook have to take out professional indemnity insurance as i did?

And i mean you have to be pretty dim to take advice from the general public on facebook. Good or bad.

Not if i can avoid it.
    My insurance doesn't cover it. This was pointed out to me specifically by the insurer.

Correct. It shouldn’t cover you.
    So only give advice that doesn’t require insurance or Crete liability
    Do members of facebook have to take out professional indemnity insurance as i did?
    No. But your insurance doesn’t cover you for that, So doesn’t make a difference.
    And i mean you have to be pretty dim to take advice from the general public on facebook. Good or bad.
    There’s plenty of dim people out there.

There’s also plenty of people who built successful careers that started over social media.

So only give advice that doesn’t require insurance or Crete liability

I didn't ask for your advice.

I am a member of REPS
    The Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) states “Personal trainers should not provide prescriptive nutritional advice or develop bespoke individualised nutrition plans for clients.”

• Advertisement

I didn't ask for your advice.

I am a member of REPS

Or sure you are talking about tbh.

That quote from reps backs up what I said btw. You can’t give Prescriptive nutritional advice. A dietitian should.
    General advice is not the same as prescriptive advice. PTs should keep that in mind.

Advertisement