Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public Slipway Use

• 24-08-2020 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

There are a few public slipways near where I live and I have been trying to see what the rules were governing their use.

Can any member of the public use a slipway or do they need to get permission from the harbourmaster first? Is there a fee for using the slipway?

Initially it would just be kayaks/SUP but I might get a small boat at some point in the future.

Any info/guidance would be appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Any slipway in Ireland i've seen* you just land up and horse your boat in. In England it's all different, some fella with a squeaky clean hi-vis jacket comes out and checks that you're not a terrorist, illegal immigrant or any of the other boogeymen the Daily Mail has been making them paranoid about, checks your third party insurance, boat license, boat tax, boat NCT and charges you 20 quid before you can launch your boat. Thankfully things are still easy going over here

*No guarantee your particular slipway is like that

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Any slipway in Ireland i've seen* you just land up and horse your boat in. In England it's all different, some fella with a squeaky clean hi-vis jacket comes out and checks that you're not a terrorist, illegal immigrant or any of the other boogeymen the Daily Mail has been making them paranoid about, checks your third party insurance, boat license, boat tax, boat NCT and charges you 20 quid before you can launch your boat. Thankfully things are still easy going over here

*No guarantee your particular slipway is like that

Thanks for the info. There doesn't seem to be any restrictions in my local slipway but I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something I wasn't supposed to!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Some might belong to sailing clubs and you may need permission to use them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Is there a charge for Kilmore Quay slipway? Seem to remember a notice there.

fergal.b wrote: »
    Some might belong to sailing clubs and you may need permission to use them.

The slipways I am looking at definitely don't belong to the local sailing club. I would have thought that any slipway belonging to a club or other private entity would be signposted as such?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

coL wrote: »
    I would have thought that any slipway belonging to a club or other private entity would be signposted as such?

Not necessarily the sailing club slip in Skerries is just off the main road, and the public one is up at the lifeboat station.

Not necessarily the sailing club slip in Skerries is just off the main road, and the public one is up at the lifeboat station.

So is there no signage to identify it as a private slipway?

I am confident which slipways are public in my locality but worried about using a private one somewhere else by mistake.

Here is a map of all the public slipways. https://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Here is a map of all the public slipways. https://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/

That looks very hndy but the one for Howth seems to be majorly inland on a green and could arguably either be the one fenced off for use by the marina fishing boats only, or the private slip to HYC or the ine that the old highly unpopular harbourmaster fenced off entirely due to commercial boats using it - a terribly pity.

OP - if you ‘just’ wanted to launch a canoe nobody is likely to challenge you but once you go down the road of a ya ht and tying up I forsee that there might be interest from the public. Where is your local slip and people might be able to help you more? Some are managed and maintained by waterways ireland ( or whatever its called now), some are under the OPW remit, some are harbourmaster remit etc. there used be voluntary bodies that undertook to ‘rescue’ and maintain them such as Royal Canal Amenity Group etc - for use by the common masses - so it would really depend!

Here is a map of all the public slipways. https://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/.

Thanks for the link.

• Advertisement

OP - if you ‘just’ wanted to launch a canoe nobody is likely to challenge you but once you go down the road of a ya ht and tying up I forsee that there might be interest from the public. Where is your local slip and people might be able to help you more? Some are managed and maintained by waterways ireland ( or whatever its called now), some are under the OPW remit, some are harbourmaster remit etc. there used be voluntary bodies that undertook to ‘rescue’ and maintain them such as Royal Canal Amenity Group etc - for use by the common masses - so it would really depend!

For the moment its just an SUP/Kayak but I didn't want to get into a habit of doing something I wasn't supposed to and find out when I rock up with a boat someday that I was doing something wrong all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

For the moment its just an SUP/Kayak but I didn't want to get into a habit of doing something I wasn't supposed to and find out when I rock up with a boat someday that I was doing something wrong all along.

I think you're overthinking this and placing an unreasonable burden to investigate upon yourself. If you're using a publicly accessible slip with no signage restricting its use then at worst someone may ask you to stop. If you're polite and obliging they'll probably be grateful. If they're not and it causes them so much grief to have members of the public inadvertently using their slip then it begs the question why they didn't signpost it as such. If you're still not sure rock up on a sunny weekend day and observe what the public launching boats do, or ask them.

For example go to Howth and, despite the various slips, it's clear from its use and unrestricted access which one is public.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

As before - people would need to know the location to say as different rules and bodies regulate different locations. As for migrating from a kayak to boat - again - this raises a lot of issues - there is no omni-kit answer, least of all the physical practicalities of it.

many slips also have prohibitions of jetskis because of past antisocial behaviour on the water - and there is the issue of the waters you are entering into or using - from a ‘proper’ boat - again - different rules /permissions or byelaws could apply.

Most people will ignore a canoe.

Then there are the new loons that rock up towing trailers containing multiple canoes and hiring commercially out, trample over peoples land, block the road and cause a hazzard loading & unloading, and make a nuisance of themselves or distrub nesting birds in protected areas or disrupt SAC ‘s -( special areas of conservation) - again - there is no one reply for all possibilities - the devil is in the detail. Some areas are covered by the wildlife act where there are hefty fines (2k+) and criminal convictions, some are mostly hidden and ignored so long as there is no ‘trouble’ - some might have regular licenses use by fishermen or local angling clubs it all just depends. Mostly if you don’t bother anyone they won’t bother you. Planning long term to bring a boat along either sailing or engine piwered is an entirely different matter and I could forsee a lot of hassle with that for obvious reasons.

Thanks for all the responses. I reckon I am overthinking it alright. I know enough now that I am not too worried about rocking up with my SUP and using the wrong slipway. If I ever do get a boat it will be a long way down the line and by that stage I will be a lot more familiar with the local slipways and the etiquette for using them.

Thanks for all the responses. I reckon I am overthinking it alright. I know enough now that I am not too worried about rocking up with my SUP and using the wrong slipway. If I ever do get a boat it will be a long way down the line and by that stage I will be a lot more familiar with the local slipways and the etiquette for using them.

You be grand. It's good to get to know the slipway before you use it, see how busy it gets at the weekend (probably nobody there in most cases), how clean it is, what it's like at low tide. Most slipways are unstaffed so there will be nobody to give out to you. It isn't like the States where you could see a massive queue of Ford F-150s towing shiny white boats with 4 verados on the back and if you take more than 2 seconds to lob your tub into the water they're drawing their revolvers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the map that was linked to, is there certain criteria for that? for instance KIlkee isn't on it, nor is the slipway in ballina beside killaloe. i'm sure there are a lot more missing as well. is there specfic requirements i am missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

mossym wrote: »
    the map that was linked to, is there certain criteria for that? for instance KIlkee isn't on it, nor is the slipway in ballina beside killaloe. i'm sure there are a lot more missing as well. is there specfic requirements i am missing?

Seems dependant on users submitting the data, so I wouldn't consider it exhaustive. From the "About" section:

"The slipway data is contributed by sailors, divers, fishermen, water skiers, harbourmasters and marina operators alike"

None of the slipways near me (about 10 of them) are listed. Some of these are big massive ones right in the middle of the town and used by a public ferry. Site is mostly UK based but some day I might get around to adding them. Think I made an account and added a slipway to it before but that was years ago. I believe after adding one someone still has to vet the new entry

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Regarding private slipways :

How can these exist? As I understand it, the foreshore cannot be privately owned. How can you build a slip and maintain it for personal use if you cannot own the land?

Regarding private slipways :

How can these exist? As I understand it, the foreshore cannot be privately owned. How can you build a slip and maintain it for personal use if you cannot own the land?

You can own the bit of it that's above the high tide and the land behind it.

I think officially for any of that kind of craic you need to get a 'foreshore license' and possibly this needs to be renewed every year

• Advertisement
Advertisement