Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2020: Hungarian GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Harika wrote: »
    If shwarzman wins that, he should be promoted to F1 next year

I was watching that...a LOT of strategy in that, with the medium tyres dropping off so fast, but there are quite a lot of nice talents in F2 right now. One'd wish they'd go with 3 cars teams to give these kids an opportunity.

Also, insane command of Neapolitan from Shwartzman, jaysus, most non-neapolitan Italians can't come close to that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭chicorytip

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Wonder how long it'll be until Red Bull lodge their own complaint about Racing Point - although they have bigger fish to fry, honestly. Besides the car going backwards, they need to fix their "second driver issue" as soon as possible, Albon is pulling a "Gasly Episode 2".

However high one wants to rate Max, there simply can't be that kind of difference between him and Albon, nor Gasly for what matters, on the single lap - otherwise these wouldn't even belong in F1. There's something wrong in the team, technical or political is anyone's guess.
    I think Verstappen is on such a high level that he would make any team mate seem inferior. Albon knows what he is up against but is still very wet behind the ears so I would leave him there for another season to see if he develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

I was watching that...a LOT of strategy in that, with the medium tyres dropping off so fast, but there are quite a lot of nice talents in F2 right now. One'd wish they'd go with 3 cars teams to give these kids an opportunity.

Also, insane command of Neapolitan from Shwartzman, jaysus, most non-neapolitan Italians can't come close to that!!!

His tyre management was amazing, while the other strategy burned their tyres in fear of undercut he managed it beautiful, and the laps before he pitted still drove the same times like the rest.
    5 rookies in the top 6. Guess I predicted that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Seems a similar story with Red Bull as last year -- off the pace in the first few races trying to understand how to setup their car. Very frustrating given their supposed aerodynamic expertise.

It's tough on Albon but the pressure is definitely ramping up now.

Aside from that, still enjoying the scrap in the midfield. Amazing that Racing Point could get through in Q2 on mediums, hope they don't leave the other teams behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Delighted to see William's making progress and doing better. Not so happy to see how far ahead of everyone Mercedes are. A pity to see Alfa and Haas doing so bad now. Alfa could always go back to being Sauber and get Renault or Honda engines. I think both them engines are better than the Ferrari one at the moment.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Sauber signed a deal for Honda engines before a change of management changed things and done the Alfa Romeo deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just watched quali highlights, crofty is so shouty these days, its awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

chicorytip wrote: »
    I think Verstappen is on such a high level that he would make any team mate seem inferior. Albon knows what he is up against but is still very wet behind the ears so I would leave him there for another season to see if he develops.

That's famously not what red bull do.

I think max might be the fastest driver at the moment. He'd make anyone look slow. But that's Albon's problem as the team is looking at him losing a second a lap to max in the race and they know they can get loads more out of the car and ultimately more points than Albon can get

I haven't written off Seb moving to Red Bull.

Ms

Sauber signed a deal for Honda engines before a change of management changed things and done the Alfa Romeo deal.

I know that. I the time it certainly looked like the better thing to do and the better engines too. But even do the Honda engines are still not perfect they have certainly come on both in power and reliability and are no where as bad as they were.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

AMKC wrote: »
    I know that. I the time it certainly looked like the better thing to do and the better engines too. But even do the Honda engines are still not perfect they have certainly come on both in power and reliability and are no where as bad as they were.

+100 million into the budget. Not sure how much Alfa does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Brilliant F2 sprint race. Tyres dropping off forcing pit stops, and some chancing their arm to go to the end without stopping. Worth a watch if it's on replay later.

I wonder if the tyre Deg will be similar in F1 today.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

astrofluff wrote: »
    Brilliant F2 sprint race. Tyres dropping off forcing pit stops, and some chancing their arm to go to the end without stopping. Worth a watch if it's on replay later.

I'm predicting a Lewis win with a one stopper. (Unless we get rain)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

astrofluff wrote: »

I wouldn't get your hopes up. They still use the old Pirelli compounds in F2, the F1 tyres are revised compounds that have less degradation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Lot of showers in the Budapest area throughout the day. Hopefully we get a bit of rain and a Perez victory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

That's famously not what red bull do.

I think max might be the fastest driver at the moment. He'd make anyone look slow. But that's Albon's problem as the team is looking at him losing a second a lap to max in the race and they know they can get loads more out of the car and ultimately more points than Albon can get

I haven't written off Seb moving to Red Bull.

Yeah fastest or not, that's not how modern F1 works - these guys are all at the top of their game. On the single lap, there simply CAN'T be 1 second difference between any two of them, unless we're talking some absolute trainwreck paydriver on the level of Rosset or Inoue.

What makes the difference is race pace and management - typical example, Bottas vs Hamilton. They're there on the single lap, sometimes Valterri is ahead even. In the span of a race however, unless Hamilton has "one of these days", it's usually not even a competition.

When you get guys like Gasly or Albon, who have accomplished lower formulae track records and have shown to be skilled drivers in other cars (Gasly got a 4th and a 2nd place with Toro Rosso), get into a competitive car and do worse than they used to in a midfield one, something is wrong with the team - be it a setup issue, a design problem (e.g. car too adapted to one of the drivers) or a support/political matter, something is not ideal.

Sure Albon needs to "pull his weight", but Red Bull aren't completely blameless. They risk burning a young driver after another if they keep these shenanigans.

Vettel rejoining them would be an interesting prospect - it's no mystery that a lot of people in the team still have a good relationship with Seb. I wonder how much his presence could upset the "Verstappen cart", especially after the hype factor of the "youngest WDC in history" in gone after this season.

skipper_G wrote: »
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. They still use the old Pirelli compounds in F2, the F1 tyres are revised compounds that have less degradation

Also, adding, the F2 cars have the awful gigantic wheel rims, which tend to increase the stress on the tires quite a bit.

Sure Albon needs to "pull his weight", but Red Bull aren't completely blameless. They risk burning a young driver after another if they keep these shenanigans.

Red bull does that though they consistently burn drivers. They'd want drivers like Max or GTFO. They have prompted and demoted drivers between the teams which shows they perform better at TR and worse at RB.

I think you're dead right and there's something wrong with the RB team in how they treat drivers. They discussed it in the chequered flag post quali podcast

Raining again at the track

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

I'm predicting a Lewis win with a one stopper. (Unless we get rain)

Dunno .. tyre deg could be an issue if it stays dry

weisses wrote: »
    Dunno .. tyre deg could be an issue if it stays dry

Just seen the weather there. Forget the one stop :pac:
    Still think Lewis will win. Just seems to love this track.

Just seen the weather there. Forget the one stop :pac:
    Still think Lewis will win. Just seems to love this track.

It was the track in which he scored his first Mercedes victory in 2013, their only victory all season.

• Advertisement

Johnny Herbert asking Latifi to speak a few words in his own language :)

Johnny Herbert asking Latifi to speak a few words in his own language :)

Is he from French Canada?

Just checked an he's from Montreal which is in Quebec (the French part) . So its a fair question. He might not be a French speaker but it's a fair question.

Is he from French Canada?

Just checked an he's from Montreal which is in Quebec (the French part) . So its a fair question. He might not be a French speaker but it's a fair question.

No he asked him to say a few French words but he doesn't speak it.

Also of note, I fear Mercedes to take another record this year, that of McLaren from 1988.

Ms

Harika wrote: »
    +100 million into the budget. Not sure how m:)uch Alfa does

Exactly. They could do a lot with that extra 100million that is assuming of course that Honda still do that. I with say with Alfa maybe it's just free or reduced cost engines..still if the engine is the slowest on the track now maybe it's time for them to start looking at there options and becoming Sauber-Honda maybe.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Verstappen bins it on the way to the grid!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well that's embarrassing.

Max ....... wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

skipper_G wrote: »
    Verstappen bins it on the way to the grid!

Hahahahahahahah!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Front left locking going into that corner, could be game over

Advertisement