Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I can't find the equivalent of the old 5 day forecast where you had the map that would show you wind and rainfall, is it gone?

Look a few pages back, it's been discussed though for now on the site with the radar gone for the moment, there is no equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Look a few pages back, it's been discussed though for now on the site with the radar gone for the moment, there is no equivalent.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Does / will the new website have anything like these graphics? I can't find an isobar / pressure system chart anywhere on the new one, and only managed to get this one because it hasn't been removed from the mobile site yet:

x_ISO_TOMORROW_ATL.png?4442x_PREC_TOMORROW_ATL.png?4442

This should keep you up to date until it's available,
    https://www.weather-forecast.com/maps/Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I don't know why it's gone live before it's completely ready.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Rainfall radar seems to have failed at least when I try an use it.

Latest Reports menu pull down and pick Rainfall Radar and I don't get Rainfall Radar.

OK sorry so I see thats already been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

my3cents wrote: »

Latest Reports menu pull down and pick Rainfall Radar and I don't get Rainfall Radar.

Yes, it's been taken down for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Why replace what was working with something that looks like it hasn't passed alpha testing?

my3cents wrote: »

You can get it here from UK.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1524021000&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brookers

Hi sorry but i cant get the website at all.....i have an apple mac...

• Advertisement

Joe Public wrote: »
    Why replace what was working with something that looks like it hasn't passed alpha testing?

I don't think they are doing themselves any favours?

If I find another site that gives me the info I want while they aren't then why would I come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I've been on the other side of some deployments that didn't go smoothly so I can sympathise. Usually it's because some marketing gobshite has committed to a date and so everyone ends up having to stick to that, even if things aren't finished, just so they don't lose face.

I'm surprised in this case though. The beta has been running for a while and seemed to be stable, if not to everyone's taste.

I've been on the other side of some deployments that didn't go smoothly so I can sympathise. Usually it's because some marketing gobshite has committed to a date and so everyone ends up having to stick to that, even if things aren't finished, just so they don't lose face.

I'm surprised in this case though. The beta has been running for a while and seemed to be stable, if not to everyone's taste.

The Beta had been working fine for me so I was well p1ssed off when I didn't get my daily dose of rainfall radar this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can ya imagine if today was the most Thundery day of the year and no Met Eireann Radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has the address changed. I thought it was Met.ie

https://www2.metweb.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Joe Public wrote: »

Money to spent I would say. Some Boys got their pocket loaded.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Has the address changed. I thought it was Met.ie

https://www2.metweb.ie/

Owner of metweb.ie is Fusio Ltd Accounts Payable, Met Eireann web developers:
    https://www.fusio.net/web-design-development/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think the homepage almost looks better without the radar/map - less clutter- straight to the forecast.

Then you can click through to get the forecast map and radar. This would likely also reduce traffic on the map.

I think the homepage almost looks better without the radar/map - less clutter- straight to the forecast.

Then you can click through to get the forecast map and radar. This would likely also reduce traffic on the map.

But you still get a tiny map using a mobile. Plus the colours don't show up on mobile screens with sunlight etc. The old radar worked perfectly on mobile but the new ME app just copies the tiny radar screen of the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

zom wrote: »
    Money to spent I would say. Some Boys got their pocket loaded.

The old site was outdated and badly needed updating. Just because you don't like the new one doesn't mean it shouldn't have been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Got a mention for the new site on RTE1 news a few minutes ago - unfortunate timing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

The old site was outdated and badly needed updating.

What was "outdated" on old website? I would love to see some analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Most of us, don't like change. The new layout and it failing are two distinct issues.
    Evelyn, even though she's new to the head job, may need to kick ass in the tech dept.

zom wrote: »
    What was "outdated" on old website? I would love to see some analysis.

A designer probably told them that it wasn't snazzy & new. The fact that it worked & provided what was needed is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The weather graphics do not display correctly in both Opera 12.18 and Chrome 49 (my OS means I cannot use a more recent Chrome and I refuse to use fake Opera which is all versions post 12.18)

That sideways scroll on my mobile (Chrome) is just horrible.

Where is the rainfall radar? Can't find it.

Waterford City is my stated location, when I pick Munster I get Cork as the central point on map but when I pick Leinster the map is centred on Waterford!

"Updated forecast" graphic is very laggy, stays on screen far too long

The weather graphics do not display correctly in both Opera 12.18 and Chrome 49 (my OS means I cannot use a more recent Chrome and I refuse to use fake Opera which is all versions post 12.18)

A lot of the graphics appear to have been taken from yrno - only yrno works.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I found the app for android almost unusable and have uninstalled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Lissavane wrote: »
    I found the app for android almost unusable and have uninstalled it.

Where did you get the new app from? Google Play?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭andygaw

If we are all honest now, The new website is fairly poor, who in the name of God sanctioned this piece of work to go live!

Error repeated in 7 day Agricultural Data Report, 11th to 18th should read 11th to 17th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Where did you get the new app from? Google Play?
    Yes. Google Play. I was very disappointed. I might download again in a few days to see if things improve. The reviews in the Google Play app store are overwhelmingly negative.

Advertisement