Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I couldn't find a stream today.
    Good job everyone!!
    I hope it was amazing and you're all hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Maybe I'm lucky with the gym I'm a member of but I don't encounter obnoxious f*cks there or st least they're not so bad I notice them...and the lads who lift a lot of weight are among the soundest there so I try and tell people not to be intimidated by the gym...the lads who compete are probably sound.

And today, at the IPF meet, there was a great atmosphere and everyone was so sound and cheering for each other and generally supportive.

If people could see what it was like at these meets I think they'd be much less intimidated by the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Maybe I'm lucky with the gym I'm a member of but I don't encounter obnoxious f*cks there or st least they're not so bad I notice them...and the lads who lift a lot of weight are among the soundest there so I try and tell people not to be intimidated by the gym...the lads who compete are probably sound.

And today, at the IPF meet, there was a great atmosphere and everyone was so sound and cheering for each other and generally supportive.

If people could see what it was like at these meets I think they'd be much less intimidated by the gym.

I agree. If I could generalise based on my personal, decade long experience I would argue that the guys creating a negative atmosphere tend to wear gloves and a belt for dumbbell curls, if you know what I mean.

One of the most aggressive gym goers I've ever seen was this angry looking middle aged lad who disappeared when he turned sideways. He used to collect 200kg in plates and cover them with his gear whilst he stretched, warmed up and eventually pulled 100-120kg over a period of half an hour. Anyone who approached him was told to FO. This was in Flyfit Macken Street. The mirrors don't help, lads spend all their time looking from the mirrors to the queue for the classes hoping they're being watched!

Sorry bold bit is there so noone gives out to me for generalising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

This 100%. Every single person I've met at a comp, whether I'm competing or spectating has been amazingly sound.

And I know it sounds bizzare if you haven't been to one, but when you're lifting every person in that room wants you to get that lift. It really doesn't matter if it's for a record, to get a total or if it's a warm up for 99% of people there. If it's heavy for you, everyone wants you to crush it.
    It's amazing and so addictive

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

https://vimeo.com/200492141

Some of you might know this guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Keano wrote: »

Jesus Christ that man can move some weight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Keano wrote: »

At first comp he was competing with his grandson ... lives and breaths the sport.

Hercules is a great club and gym ... proper club and an institution .. over 80 years on the go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Do belts make a big difference? I was thinking of getting one as I'm squatting three times a week and I've had back issues in the past. (That having been said since I've been squatting regularly I've been free of back niggles for the first time in six months)

FTA69 wrote: »
    Do belts make a big difference? I was thinking of getting one as I'm squatting three times a week and I've had back issues in the past. (That having been said since I've been squatting regularly I've been free of back niggles for the first time in six months)

They should make a difference. How big it makes varies but it should definitely make a difference.

Worth reading this to see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Looking for some protein powder recommendations.

I have been using Gold Standard ON protein powder (banana flavor) for the last while however is quite expensive at €55 for a 5lbs tub.
    Is there a similar quality cheaper alternative? Tried some stuff previously from H&B and it made me sick!.

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Looking for some protein powder recommendations.

I have been using Gold Standard ON protein powder (banana flavor) for the last while however is quite expensive at €55 for a 5lbs tub.
    Is there a similar quality cheaper alternative? Tried some stuff previously from H&B and it made me sick!.

Only experience of why is with MyProtein and Bulk Powders. Switched from ON initially and tbh I didn't fine the taste any different with either MP or BP (for vanilla, at least). The protein content is pretty much the same as well.

I generally switch between the two depending on who has the better offer/discount at the time.

Only experience of why is with MyProtein and Bulk Powders. Switched from ON initially and tbh I didn't fine the taste any different with either MP or BP (for vanilla, at least). The protein content is pretty much the same as well.

I generally switch between the two depending on who has the better offer/discount at the time.

Thanks, was there a particular brand you changed to? I used AOB nutrition which I find great with same day delivery.

Thanks, was there a particular brand you changed to? I used AOB nutrition which I find great with same day delivery.

Just MyProtein or Bulkpowders. They are the brands.

The delivery time isn't a huge issue. I'm ok with it being a week or whatever it is. The bag/tub doesn't empty as a surprise :)

Just MyProtein or Bulkpowders. They are the brands.

The delivery time isn't a huge issue. I'm ok with it being a week or whatever it is. The bag/tub doesn't empty as a surprise :)

It does when the wife robs it to make herself protein pancakes :)

which of these two would you go for;

http://www.bulkpowders.ie/pure-whey-protein.html

http://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/impact-diet-whey/10530657.html

Both around the same price when you add the MP discount, the BP one has higher protein content however the MP one is slightly bigger!

Get whichever one is the best value.

I looked at 2.5kg bags of MP Pure Whey Protein versus BP version and there was a tenner in the difference because of the current MP offer. Go with the cheaper one.

But sign up to both and see which has the better offer when you're looking to replace.

And hide it from the wife.

Get whichever one is the best value.

I looked at 2.5kg bags of MP Pure Whey Protein versus BP version and there was a tenner in the difference because of the current MP offer. Go with the cheaper one.

But sign up to both and see which has the better offer when you're looking to replace.

And hide it from the wife.

protein content seems to be much higher in BP one so was swayed by that over the cost.

protein content seems to be much higher in BP one so was swayed by that over the cost.

If one is a lot less expensive, then add more of it in to bring up the protein content. The difference of 1/2 grams per servings is minimal in all reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You aren't comparing like for like - thats the diet version of MPs whey. This is the one to compare BP to.

Sign up to both companies newsletters. They have 30% off offers pretty much every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I find no difference between Bulkpowders & myprotein, except you can sometimes get slightly better deals at MP, and they do have a bigger range of stuff if you are looking to pick up some extra bits to get free delivery etc.

That said, BP now have a new Speculoos flavour :eek: Mmmm Lotus biccie whey.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I find no difference between Bulkpowders & myprotein, except you can sometimes get slightly better deals at MP, and they do have a bigger range of stuff if you are looking to pick up some extra bits to get free delivery etc.

That said, BP now have a new Speculoos flavour :eek: Mmmm Lotus biccie whey.
    whyyyy did I come lurking on this thread... I'm already addicted!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

My space leggings arrived and are cool.
    That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bluewolf wrote: »
    That is all
    The wolf top to match is in stock awaiting your order. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bluewolf wrote: »
    That is all

Pics of GTFO.

But not really gtfo, please.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

COH wrote: »
    BANNED

My wife is not happy. She just told me I was going to be "that guy" in the gym. To hell with her.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    My wife is not happy. She just told me I was going to be "that guy" in the gym. To hell with her.

You can probably email customer service, explain the mistake and cancel the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭COH

Brian? wrote: »

I'm surprsied... after many years of marriage she just found out that her husband is a fitspo w*nker

Our thoughts and prayers go out to her.

COH wrote: »
    I'm surprsied... after many years of marriage she just found out that her husband is a fitspo w*nker

Our thoughts and prayers go out to her.

The horrible smell of jealousy off this post. I'm going to look legendary.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Still waiting on the space pants pics bluey :D

Advertisement