Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

In fairness there's a lot of ifs and maybes there. Yes, IF the trials had been concluded and IF someone else had won them they would have deserved their spot. I agree with that so clearly that's not my argument in favour of sending Murphy.

In reality, neither of those things happened. The trials weren't concluded and Keller didn't win them. I know that Keller qualified the boat, but there's nothing to say that meant she had to be picked - Jegou didn't qualify for the canoe spot but he was sent all the same, these things happen from time to time in Olympic sports.

Just because Murphy won't win a medal doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to send her, it just means it didn't go her way this week. There will be plenty of opportunities for Keller to prove herself in future post Covid and if she's good enough she will get her chance next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Rowing Bronze in the Womens Four ! Great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Feared the worst early on, but very well done. Excellent finish to win the bronze by a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Great performance, looked like it wasn’t going to happen half way through

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ireland underway! Dug so deep in that final 500 after a poor start. Fabulous result 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

Delighted with the medal but thought we would be challenging for Gold based on the heats. Still a mighty performance.Great to be on the table at last though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,980 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, I thought they'd blown their chance before halfway. But the winning time was extremely fast, so this might have caught them napping slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Great performance by those young women, fair play to them it looked exhausting

That was an insane race in the Mens Fours.....three way ding dong battle and the Brit boat went violently off course near the finish and nearly crashed into the Italian bronze medalists (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Britain's Mens 4s crashing into the wrong lane at the end, I've never seen that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Their time was 8.5 seconds quicker than their heat time so maybe they rowed their own race. Could have gone toe to toe early for gold and got nothing.

Some race up front though the way the Dutch pushed the Aussies to the line.

BBC commentator reckons one of the GB rowers must have blown up (became knackered basically) and this caused the near crash.

Yes, I think the pace was probably just white hot and as a young crew, they simply couldn't go with it. Great finish though and they went for it at exactly the right moment (apparently Eimear Lambe made the decision to go).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Was that when we saw the stroke rate go to 42 when others were at 40?

Yes, that was it....they suddenly accelerated and went for it early enough. But it paid off brilliantly and GB couldn't get back at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,001 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It seems she has only withdrawn from the team event but will carry on in the individual.

Delighted to see the fours get the medal, the British (including Rebecca Shorten from Belfast who would also be eligible for our team) actually had a really good run compared to their heat and it looked for a while like we might end up down in fourth. Top two were well clear so it was a great effort to reel in the Chinese and then also keep clear of the Brits to get the medal.

The lightweight doubles won their semi in a world best time. The Italians stuck with them well though so they and the Germans will maybe keep the pressure on our lads in the final. The other main medal contenders, Norway, fell out of their boat in the other semi and had to be rescued - so unless there's a complete disaster we should get another medal here, only three contenders left really, hopefully though our first Olympic gold for nine years.

Kurt Walker knocks out the number 1 seed in his boxing division - one more win for a medal, outstanding from him!

Fantastic performance from him : really classy against the world champion

A huge boost for the entire boxing team as well

• Advertisement

Boxes a very decent looking American, Duke Ragan, for a medal. Will be a tough one, he was very unfortunate with the draw.

Sunday looking potentially very interesting though now with Aidan Walsh and Kurt Walker boxing for medals, McClenaghan in the pommel horse final and maybe a run from either Lowry or McIlroy in the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

Just now, BBC reporting Biles has withdrawn from the all-round individual event

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I feel like you keep missing my main point which is Murphy shouldn't have made the decision to jump back into the Laser after missing out in the 49er.

I don't think were gonna gain much discussing this further tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ohh wow that's an even bigger big blow for their medal hopes. Hope shes okay because the US public and media are unfortunately unlikely to be kind to her after this and reading between the lines it looks like that may all be part of the problem to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

Wohoo TeamIreland 😀 Congratulations to the rowers! Had great plans to watch it live but was glued to the bed. There’s a pep in my step as I head off to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

When is Puspure rowing?

Never mind, just saw it, tomorrow morning at 2.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

The brains of Billy V Zaur for a medal! (how d fook has Zaur stayed in the job, the man must be hard as nails to listen to the shite the IABA would have put on him!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I really hope RTE are going to show the badminton this morning. Should be a mighty match.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Aoife O'Rourke robbed in the 2nd round, the chinese done nothing but holding first 2 rounds. she must have been cautioned by the ref at least 5 times but no official warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

She came second!🥈

Sounds like an old Scrap Saturday line:

"It's not widely known that my grand-niece Siobhan Haughey won Hong Kon's first Olympic swimming medal"

Advertisement