Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books to avoid like a bookworm on a diet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

'the third person' steve mosby. A pile of pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

theCzar wrote:
    Something Happened by Joesph Heller, I just. Can't. Finish. I have never ever ever not finished a book so technically, I'm still reading it. been reading it for two years now, woeful.

What disappointment from the man who wrote my fav book. :(
    don't finish it. I thought it was quite good - but really really depressing. And the ending is significantly more depressing than the rest of the book.

spoiler:
    The protagonist's son is in a crash. The guy is extremely upset and hugs his son so tightly that he smothers him to death. Doctors tell him that the son wasn't too badly hurt before he smothered him. He goes on with his depressing life without telling anyone what happened and is significantly more depressed than before

horrible huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

zaph wrote:
    Romanitas by Sophia McDougall

If you see this book in a shop, run away from it very fast. It's a Fatherland style alternate history novel, one where the Roman Empire never fell and now rules two thirds of the world. While the premise appeared interesting, it truly is a godawful book, a poor plot, characters with ridiculous and unexplained "powers" and a scarcely credible "Romanised" version of the world today. However, bad and all as these things are, the worst thing is the writing which is absolutely appalling. It rambles on for hundreds of pages as if it had never landed on an editor's desk and is enough to make the most hardened anti-environmentalist weep for all the trees that were cut down so this book could be printed. As one reviewer on Amazon said - Being crucified actually might be more fun than reading this.

I wish I'd read your post before I read the book. You could have saved me my E5 from Chapters

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This story from The Guardian today amused me but it also reminded me how subjective a thread like this can be. ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

is_that_so wrote:
    This story from The Guardian today amused me but it also reminded me how subjective a thread like this can be. ;)

When I saw that article, and specifically the mention of Vernon God Little in it, I realised that I should have included it on this thread. I did actually finish it, but it's apalling rubbish. I'll never read another Booker Prize winner again having endured that crap if that's the sort of thing they give out prizes for. And yes, I know it's a subjective opinion, but I've got 35% of the readers on my side :D

dudara wrote:
    I wish I'd read your post before I read the book. You could have saved me my E5 from Chapters

You have my sympathies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Anything by Pratchett ,
    heres a true story ,
    My 9 year old niece was brought to a book signing in England , With pratchett , she loves him , must have gone through all of his books , she wanted his latest signed , anyway , she got to the front of the cue and he immediately started slagging her hair , he must have been the only guy in the room that didnt realise she had cancer !! What a complete and Utter Tool , When my sister said it to him he was seriously embarrassed and took the book back and wrote " Cribbins" in it , some kind of in Joke !!

None of his books are funny to me anymore !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I realise this is going to be an incredibly unpopular first-post-ever-in-forum, but 100 years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I tried, I really did. I *wanted* to love it. I have been 'reading' it now for almost two years. I keep picking it up and putting it down and getting so confused and bored I have to stop and then start all over again. There are some flashes of sheer brilliance in it, but that just annoys me more about it - it could have been one of those ones that really left me with something. Oh for an actual plot and proper development of character. Such a shame.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'm with u sinead. That book should have been called 100 million years of solitude. Even if I had that long I wouldnt have gotten through it. It was like steinbeck cubed, but not in a good way.

zaph wrote:
    It's already been mentioned, but I'd second the inclusion of American Gods by Neil Gaiman on the list. I read it while I was in hospital and it made my week there feel like three. Annoying characters, a rambling "plot" for want of a better word and about 400 pages too long.
    I agree too. overrated muck

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I'm with u sinead. That book should have been called 100 million years of solitude. Even if I had that long I wouldnt have gotten through it. It was like steinbeck cubed, but not in a good way.

I liked it, but I agree that it was a bit difficult to get through at times. If you have not already been put off Garcia Marquez for life, you should try reading his Love in the Time of Cholera, which I found much more readable than the other. I am told though that magic realism is a bit last century at this stage... old fashioned me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
    In another thread I have described how I hated this book and the film based on it. Ondaatje can write but this is all too clever and self conscious. The relationships and plot ring false and contrived. Despite the praise heaped on it by writers I admire like Richard Ford and Toni Morrison I thought it a self important but empty book, well deserving of the Booker Prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lilwyrdsis

Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho - Awful, narrow, high almighty attitude. Depressing.

Mansfield Park - Jane Austen - Boring, I found it hard to stamch that such a goody two shoes boring character got everything she wanted in the end, oh the virtue! (agh!!). WHole tutorial hated it in college.

No!! Don't diss Pratchett - he's hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Micheal Crichton 'PREY'-- great big pile of utter crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

zaph wrote:
    When I saw that article, and specifically the mention of Vernon God Little in it, I realised that I should have included it on this thread. I did actually finish it, but it's apalling rubbish. I'll never read another Booker Prize winner again having endured that crap if that's the sort of thing they give out prizes for. And yes, I know it's a subjective opinion, but I've got 35% of the readers on my side :D

I just have to say I loved Vernon God Little. Picked it up and didn't put it down again 'til I was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Micheal Crichton 'PREY'-- great big pile of utter crap...

If I ever meet Michael Crichton I'll take my hard-back copy of Prey and bop him on the head with it. I feel he scammed me into buying it. He wrote so many good books (timeline = awesome) then I bought Prey :( Bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

humbert wrote:
    I just have to say I loved Vernon God Little. Picked it up and didn't put it down again 'til I was finished.

Well worth a read. Good interview with DBC here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

How Many Miles to Babylon- Jennifer Johnston.

UGH. Couldn't even finish it. One of the other English classes have to do it, hate that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Have to say I liked Prey. Nonsense, but fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

UGH. Couldn't even finish it. One of the other English classes have to do it, hate that..

AGREED! Consider yourself lucky that you weren't in one of the "other" English classes. Last year, I was. :(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

'Twas a damn fine read imo.
    Hilarious in places, and a very good portrayal of the anglican ascendancy and the society of the time. Interaction between Jerry and Alec was interesting and very realistic, as was the conversation. And then there's the portrayal of the war, which was very insightful.
    Only problem I had with it, was that I thought it was a bit short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 RawK

ok bare with me!

Choke - Chuck Palahnuik
    I really loved Lullaby and Survivor, but this was just so drab in comparrison!
    you finish it and all you're left with is a big "... SO ****ING WHAT???"

Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis
    just has absolutely no point! again i actually read this at the exact same pivotal moment in my life as the main protagonist in this book. Too boring, it actually made me very depressed!

if i think of more (which i am sure there are, i'll name them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Title says it all really. Well there's more. Terrible, self indulgent, tripe. I could go on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

You know I am still trying to work it out. On the whole, the conclusion of the book points that it was all just in his head, the product of a mind over-obsessed with status and narcissism. After reading Psycho first I was convinced that Ellis was a loon masquerading as a fiction writer. His writing style in Psycho is excruciating. I loved the book, but anyone who has read it will know what I am getting at.
    The ridiculously long musical descriptions, the huge trips deep inside Patrick Bateman's head. But after realising that this book was still in my head some 5 years after first reading it, I thought that I must have missed a trick with Ellis.

Since then I have gone back and bought the rest of his books. Less than zero, his debut, really reads like a debut novel and TBH is missable unless you are a fan of the author and want to see the storm that he started. Also his first sentence in print ever is one of the most fascinating I have ever read for a debut published sentence. It still bounces around in my head now from time to time and I like to play with its different meanings.
    Rules of attraction was a great book. if for the way it finished alone. Also its throw-away philosophy from flawed characters is astounding, the rambling nature of the writing is very relaxing. The fact that it is an eighties book about early eighties college in America really makes you think about how stagnant we have been for 20 years, because it is still a template for university dystopia in the 21st century. If anyone has seen the movie, they will know that the movie was reset in a modern college culture. I think that this was a travesty. Why is it so important for every generation to think that they invented recreational drugs and depression?
    I also couldnt stop reading Lunar Park, though as a literary work it is incredibly criticisable, as an exercise in breaking and rewriting most of the rules of 1st person fiction in what could essentially be fluff it is irresistible. Wading from Ellis' own nihilistic tendencies as a post-drugboom post-success depressed author looking for a thrill with nothing new to do, including himself in the novel and then swinging seamlessly to a Stephen king writing style for the bizarre continuation... I just loved the writing style and it really made me begin to see the merit in the author.

I also must hop to the defence of Atomised and Naked Lunch. I loved both these books for their deconstruction of humanity into a lonely machinic existence, one with sex, the other with drugs.

For me, though it has been repeated fairly regularly through this thread, my least appealing books tend to be those penned by Pratchett. I knew he had a huge fan base, I just had no idea that so many other people also didnt like the guy.
    **ducks**

Excellent post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

I decided a while back that I was going to read a few 'classics' since some of the newer stuff I was reading was a bit crap. So I got my hands on Herman Melville's book, Moby Dick. (I almost wrote "I got my hands on Herman Melville's Moby dick. That would have been embarrassing.) this is the most boring and un-readable book I have ever come across. Stay well away from it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, it's amazing how some of those books ever became considered as "classics". Another is The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway, which is possibly the most boring book ever committed to paper. The plot summary is basically old man sits in boat catching nothing for ages, eventualy catches large fish, large fish is eaten by sharks before he manages to land it. And that's pretty much it, so if you haven't read it I've saved you the bother. Complete and utter dross. And don't get me started on John Steinbeck's so-called "classics".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fffforde.

I was amazed to discover it is followed by a string of sequels. Unconvincing twaddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gowranistan

Have to agree that closing time by joesph heller is coma inducing. Is anything by him other than catch 22 good? But how can you dislike prattchett?

Have to agree that closing time by joesph heller is coma inducing. Is anything by him other than catch 22 good? But how can you dislike prattchett?
    I've read the following books by heller, apart from Catch 22
    Closing time is good and has the same characters as Catch 22.
    Something Happened is good, but dreadfully, dreadully depressing.
    Good as Gold is not worth reading.
    I also read the start of his autobiogrphy and it seemed promising enough, if you like bios.

Some of pratchett's stuff is very poor - though his good stuff is brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LiamDuff

The usual crap that people mention in these sorts of thread.

The Da Vinci Code
    The Alchemist
    Nick Hornby's last one 'A long way down'. Pure muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Re: Dickens
    Lads seriously, a great writer one of the 'untouchables' in litreary history I would've thought. I can imagine that a lot of people read fragments of his books and decide they're long winded.

Advertisement