Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Your Economists/Introductions Thread

• 23-06-2011 7:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for users of the Economics forum to introduce themselves, as much as you feel comfortable with. If you like, you can post a picture of yourself; whatever you're into really.

I'm andrew. My real name is Andrew. I'm 21, and studying Economics at Trinity (through BESS), and going into 4th year now. My interests are mostly Macroeconomic, since I am both terrible at, and loath, Microeconomics. Whether I hate it because I'm bad at it or vice versa, I don't know. Specifically, I'm pretty interested in Development economics, and the History of Money, but anything macro-y will do.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Hello Andrew. I'm Cookie. A post doctoral research scientist. Interested in politics, consumer affairs and Macro Economics too ;) Hated micro when I studied it for the leaving cert (law of diminishing returns and what not!!). I'm 33. Only found and added this section to "my forums" the other day so fairly new in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Hi everyone, I'm Tadhg. I have an MSc in Mathematical Finance but my undergraduate education was more economics centred. My particular interests are in financial and agricultural economics. I work on market risk in a bank, and here I am dressed like all other bank employees dress at work.

30cvpxe.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I can only presume that's debtor's blood :p

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

Hi, I'm 28 and I'm in UCD. I did the BSc in Statistics, the HDip in Statistics and the MA Qualifier in Economics. I'll be starting the MA in September.

My main interests are in what we use as money (base money and claims against banks), how it first enters circulation (open market operations/interest paid on reserves, and purchases of debt/other spending by banks) and how to change these so that it only enters circulation as a grant to the government (17 governments). My other interest is the work of Bill Mitchell under the heading Modern Monetary Theory.

and here's my facebook profile pic

profile%20pic.bmp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Seeing that picture immediately made me forget what you had written and just think :O for a little bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

hi, I'm 30, have a BA in Economics and some bit of a BSc in Physics (long story). Am torn between doing a postgrad in Economics or something mathsy these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,135 ✭✭✭✭noodler

nesf wrote: »
    hi, I'm 30, have a BA in Economics and some bit of a BSc in Physics (long story). Am torn between doing a postgrad in Economics or something mathsy these days.

I am Noodler, have a BA and MA in Economics from UCD and currently work on general economic issues affecting Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Hai, I'm Cian, 22 years young and I have no economics training at all. My only interaction with the money markets is when I work a till at my job.
    Have an amateur interest in the subject, mostly as I read whatever I can get my hands on which has brought me to economic textbooks and the work of everyone from Keynes to Friedman.

Seeing as I know a lot less than ye do, I mostly lurk here. Which I do too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm Thomas, undergrad studying economics at NUIM and going into 3rd year. More of a lurker here but expect that to change as I start looking for help with my thesis this year. Main interests would be stocks and bonds, political economics and how supply and demand can be applied to nearly everything.

Here's me in the only house I could afford.

224457_2220719513118_1101592086_3125514_5110116_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I am most definitely a lurker; a lurker who has been thrown into the deep end of Economic and Social Policy in final year of my degree; desparately clawing for knowledge so I can pass this damn module! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Howdy,

my name is Mick studying economics at Maynooth.

My interest are financial Economics and Monetary economics.

I've done a bit of Forex trading but stopped will be back into it again this summer.

That's all for now folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Hey,

I'm donnie, did some actuarial studies, hadnt done economics before hand and really liked it. Transfers to bcomm economics and did an msc in economic policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 1,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Taking Macro & Micro Economics. University undergrad. Gen Ed. requirements. Welcome here?

Fathom wrote: »
    Taking Macro & Micro Economics. University undergrad. Gen Ed. requirements. Welcome here?

absolutely! Where are you studying?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 1,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

andrew wrote: »
    absolutely! Where are you studying?
    Thanks. University of California Irvine. Will try to offer meaningful content. Please be patient.

Advertisement