Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knee Arthroscopy

• 20-08-2020 5:44pm

Knee arthroscopy

Hi all

Need to get a knee arthroscopy done. Unfortunately my health insurance doesn’t cover it. Anyone had it done. Where did you get it done and have you idea of cost before I contact hospitals tomorrow

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've had 2. One in the US, one in Ireland.

Both were covered by insurance. No idea how much they cost.

I'd recommend Joe Sparks for the surgery, he works in the Heritage in Lucan.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

dazza70 wrote: »
    Knee arthroscopy

Hi all

Need to get a knee arthroscopy done. Unfortunately my health insurance doesn’t cover it. Anyone had it done. Where did you get it done and have you idea of cost before I contact hospitals tomorrow

Cheers

To be honest before going for this id recommend looking into the long term outcomes of this. Then if happy this the right road for you, try seeing a few ppl. Mr Neligan is particularly interested in knees.

Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,020 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dazza70 wrote: »
    Need to get a knee arthroscopy done.

What procedure are you getting done?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I've had a few now it is about 2500/3000

I got mine done in the bons secure hospital in cork with Declan bowler

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭shane b

Going to jump in on this thread. Im going for knee arthroscopy next week in the santry Sports Clinic to repair/remove a torn meniscus.
    Those of you that have had arthroscopy, what was your recovery like and did you need much physio after?

• Advertisement

shane b wrote: »
    Going to jump in on this thread. Im going for knee arthroscopy next week in the santry Sports Clinic to repair/remove a torn meniscus.
    Those of you that have had arthroscopy, what was your recovery like and did you need much physio after?

A bit clearer than the above as you've mentioned the issue, rather than generic arthroscope.
    But whether it's a repair or a remove will affect recovery significantly.
    Generally repair takes longer and is a slower recovery.

I had a removal. Returned to work pretty quickly. I was walking was without crutches in a few days. But 3 months before I was walking with out "feeling it".
    Returned to training in 6 months, but 9 months before I was sparring with intensity.
    18 months later it's mostly fine but don't have the full flexion ROM I had before.

Thanks Mellor for the reply. I have a large bucket handle tear but surgeon cant say whether it will be a repair or removal until the day of the operation.
    My fear is that i will be in a worse position movement wise after this than before. I do quite a bit of walking as part of my job and work is giving me next week off and light duties at the desk for week 2 but after they expect me to be pretty much back to my current form.
    Granted I cant ran or jump at present and my legs are tired after a day at work. I guess ill just have to see what happens.

The procedure will leave you knee very swollen and stiff. The knee is expanded with water to create space to work. It will take a while for swelling to fully go, but you’ll be mobile enough to walk in two weeks without issue. With a removal at least. Repair will be slower recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

Go back to your GP and TELL him to get a hospital appointment for you. Will take a bit of time

I thought id just update the thread with a progress report. I had my surgery a month ago now, and ended up having 70% of the meniscus removed. Surgeon said it wasn't suitable for a repair. Knee felt better almost straight away, although it was swollen and stiff. I could stand up straight which was something i couldn't do before surgery and there wasnt much pain more discomfort. I could function at home pretty well by day 4.
    I was back to work 6 days after surgery and all is good. I am finding stairs tough though and as i have 2 small scars, (1 each side of my kneecap) kneeling is a delicate process as putting weight on them is a bit sore. The Surgeon said as the scars heal the pain will get less and less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

was in for a medial meniscus trimming and once the surgeon got in there he realised i had a torn ACL, mri hadnt picked it up.. recovery from the meniscus trimming was grand, acl was a balls...

Further update for anyone interested regarding cost. Got my statement from health insurance regarding cost of the surgery. 1000 euro for the hospital, 800 for the Surgeon and 400 euro for the Anaesthetist.
    My initial consultation and follow up appointment after surgery weren't covered but they were only 300 euro in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭mrskinner

Does each patient have to have an initial consultation to see if they are ok to go ahead with the procedure?

I would say yes.

I had a scan and got 2 consultants to review the scan and both said I'd need surgery as my tear was not going to heal on it's own or with physio.

Plus I found the first consultant was not very nice at all so I decided I wanted someone else.

Advertisement